Prevacid Solutabs

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by JoellePotter, Dec 1, 2009.

1. JoellePotter

JoellePotter Well-Known Member

The boys just got switched from the oral form of Prevacid to the solutabs yesterday. I went by the directions given w/ the sheet of paper and the medicine, but it seems like a lot of the solutab may get wasted that way. It was to take 1 of the solutabs and dissolve it in 4ml of water.

So I'm wondering how you all do it?

My boys are approximately 6 weeks adjusted so I'm not quite sure if they can just take the solutab (well really 1/2 of it, twice a day) and let it dissolve in their mouth. Their pediatrician didn't talk like they could, and to go by the directions given (to dissolve it).

So, basically I just want to hear any advice or your ways of doing it!

Please and thank you!! :ibiggrin:

2. bbyboo1323

bbyboo1323 Well-Known Member

I cut a 15mg tablet in half. One for each twin. We used to put in 10 ml of water and let it dissolve then give it but now we just put it in their cheek and hold it and let it dissolve. I feel its mroe effective that way and I know they are getting it rather than spitting it out. We started doing this about a week or so ( they were around 12 weeks, 6 weeks adjusted)

1 person likes this.
  3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We just crushed it really well and put the dust in about 3 parts on Alice's tongue while changing her diaper.

4. JoellePotter

That's good to hear! I'd rather not dissolve it in anything other than their mouths. We also go the 15mg ones that we cut in 1/2 and they are supposed to get 1/2, twice a day. I may very well try this for their evening dose.

5. JoellePotter

Another good way! I just wasn't sure how the babies would react to that taste in their mouth.

I HATE HATE HATE taking pills of ANY form so I also think about how I'd react lol

6. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I put the tab in my dd's cheek with my finger, and used my other hand to gently squeeze some water into that cheek with a syringe. As soon as the water hit the tab it started dissolving. I used the water several times to make sure all the little pieces were washing down her throat (go really slow or they choke on the water!). Then I let her suck off my finger. Very little got wasted that way.

I tried dissolving it in a syringe and it just seemed like too much was still stuck inside of it, seemed like a waste!

Hope it helps them! :hug:

7. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

I used to just put it in the inside of my DS's cheek. We tried so many times to try to get it to dissolve and get it in that way, but nothing worked. It always got clogged in the syringe. Finally, I got my uncle who is a Director of Pharmacy and he said to try putting inside his cheek b/c it dissolves so quickly. It worked like a charm! Prevacid was a lifesaver for us. We've done both solutab and compounded liquid.

8. becky5

becky5 Guest

I also broke it into a few pieces and stuck it in the side of their cheek. I squirted some water in with it, to help it dissolve a little quicker.

9. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I drew up 4 mls of water in a small syringe, placed the tab in it, let it dissolve, and then squirted it in the back of their cheek. I would roll the syringe in a circle as I was doing it so that the granules would get out of the syringe and not stick at the bottom. GL! I hope the Prevacid helps them.

10. rajeshris

rajeshris Well-Known Member

This was also very difficult for us--after sevearl trial and errors here is what worked for us. We had a bulb syringe--they gave it to us at the pharmacy. Put 3 ml of water in a small bottle and put 1/2 tab. Then sucked it up w/ the bulb syringe. keep holding it down and then stick in their mouth w/o letting water run into the actual bulb. They will start sucking on it and suck the water and granuale right out. Like I said though--it took a whiel to get it just right but after a few times, it was easy. The regular syringe never worked for us and I didn't try dissolving it in their mouth.

Good luck!! It can be a pain!

11. Kateryna

Kateryna Well-Known Member

I take half a tab, put in on the tablespoon, then a teaspoon on top and apply gentle pressure. It crushes into a powder. Then I would just give it to my daughter using a baby spoon all together on her tongue and she actually likes it. You can separated in in two spoons at first. I hated the syringe and water method, never knew if she got all the particles in.

12. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yeah, it actually tastes pretty good, and we never had a problem with the taste (as opposed to the zantac, gross!)