Prevacid Question?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by lilly_&_hunter, Mar 12, 2008.

1. lilly_&_hunter

lilly_&_hunter Well-Known Member

Molly was on Axid - it doesn't seem to be reducing the amount of horrible vomits, so we switched to Prevacid. I picked it up from the pharmacy and it's in capsule form! I asked - how in the world do I give this to my 7 week old? The pharmacists said my doctors office insisted that be this form.

I'm supposed to open up the capsule and dump the little tiny balls into breastmilk (I pump) then squirt that into Molly's mouth. Are you kidding me? We did a trial run and all the little balls were stuck in the bottom of the syringe. Ugh! That way obviously won't work.

What form is your Prevacid? I'm going to call my doctor tomorrow morning. I was just really hoping to get a dose into Molly tonight. I want her to feel better and for her feedings to be less stressful.

2. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

Our pharmacist grinds it up and makes a solution of it. It takes one to two hours to thoroughly dissolve. I mix that into EBM and give it to her in bottle. Someone else was just talking about another form called solutab. I'll be asking our dr. about that soon.

3. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

I found this on the Internet. This is the kind my boys took:

Prevacid for Oral Suspension (which is mixed with water)

If your child cannot swallow capsules, there is strawberry-flavored Prevacid for Oral Suspension, which is made into a liquid.

In a taste test with children aged 5 to 11 years, 95% preferred strawberry-flavored Prevacid for Oral Suspension

Prevacid for Oral Suspension comes in packets. Mix the contents of 1 packet with 2 tablespoons of water. Then, give it to your child right away. If there are any granules left over in cup, then swish with water and give to your child. Prevacid packets should be mixed only with water, and the contents should not be crushed or chewed. Prevacid does not work as well and tastes bitter if it is crushed or chewed.

The first day we tried to give it to them in their bottle. We cut wholes in the nipple (not too big thought since the boys were so little) but the granuals would not fit through. Then we drew it up in a syringe and gave it that way with just the amount of water needed to mix it(not with their milk). They actually loved this! When they got older, they would be upset if I gave it to one and the other did not get it fast enough.

4. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

I have the solutabs and she loves them. I have no problem giving it to her with a syringe of water, its strawberry flavored so she opens her mouth for it to!

Good luck!!

5. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

I have heard of solutabs and I think they can order those for you at the pharmacy!

I hope the reflux gets better soon. :hug99:

6. lilly_&_hunter

lilly_&_hunter Well-Known Member

So, do you dissolve the little balls from the capsule into liquid? Do I draw EBM into the syringe then add the capsule contents and let it all dissolve before giving it to Molly?

7. SommerNyte

SommerNyte Well-Known Member

I found a syringe to be a waste of time and energy. Just put the little balls on a spoon with some liquid and give it that way. I have the solutabs, but it's the same idea and a spoon was what worked best. I didn't use BM, either, I just used water.

8. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

Our pedi just gave us a ton of the capsules, and what I do is break open the capsule into a tiny tupperware jar, wet my finger so the little balls stick to it and finger them into the side of their cheek. Then I give them their bottle so they can suck and swallow them. The syringe didn't work for us. So far this is the only way that has worked. I am hoping to switch back to the solutab as soon as I go through these, but I am not letting them go to waste. Prevacid is expensive!!

9. mandyanna

mandyanna Well-Known Member

We use solutabs and I found using a syringe is not the best thing They make these pacifer things that look like a mini, mini, bottle and you put the medicine in pop on the nipple and they suck it right out. I did have to make the whole bigger so all the granules would come out.

10. Chessie

Chessie Member

We had the packets at first but it was a huge struggle since she had problems with swallowing anyway (duh!). Finally found out about the solutabs and it's been a godsend ever since.