Prevacid for reflux...got some questions!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Danibell, May 21, 2009.

1. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

How much were your babes on? Roughly how much did/do they weigh?

Is it weight sensitive? Will I need to get a dosage change as she gets bigger?

How long to see effectiveness?

Thanks! :D

2. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

My girls were on 25mg solutab from the time they were 2 months old until 14 months old. I don't think it is weight sensitive as we never needed to increase the dose the bigger they got. It worked wonderfully! We would give them 1 tab every evening.

3. Danibell

That's great news to hear! :good: I'm glad it worked for your girls! My dd is having such trouble, the zantac worked for less than a week before she started fussing again, and I just don't feel like having to go in every week to get a new dosage because they grow so dang fast in the first 6 months!

I just called my dr to request prevacid so I didn't get to ask him any questions about it! ;)

4. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Danibell @ May 21 2009, 08:35 PM) [snapback]1323891[/snapback]
    That's great news to hear! :good: I'm glad it worked for your girls! My dd is having such trouble, the zantac worked for less than a week before she started fussing again, and I just don't feel like having to go in every week to get a new dosage because they grow so dang fast in the first 6 months!

I just called my dr to request prevacid so I didn't get to ask him any questions about it! ;)

:hug: Reflux is miserable for everyone involved!! Our pedi put them on Prevacid from the get-go, so I don't have any other experience with any of the other meds. I hope it works as well for your LO's as it did for mine! :hug:

5. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

My boys were on 15 mg (it was the granuals...powder packet that you add water to). They were on it around 8 weeks and the dosage never changed. It worked within the first few days of them taking it.

6. Danibell

Glad to hear it worked for them too! Rylee's on 15 mg solutab once daily. I hope it works fast too!

7. brookbranplus2

brookbranplus2 Well-Known Member

Mine were on the solutabs too. They stayed on the same dose from 6 months to 12 months old. They were on Zantac for 5 months before that and I didn't like it at all. I found the prevacid worked much better and was easier to give.

8. Danibell

Yay the more votes for prevacid the better!! :D

When my first ds had reflux all they had was zantac. He was diagnosed at birth (5 lbs 13 oz), and NEVER had his dosage changed until 6 months old! I knew it wasn't doing a thing but didn't realize it was so weight sensitive! No wonder he puked his whole little life! He was a "happy spitter" so they just never bothered telling us anything about it, he was gaining weight fine and happy to eat.

I've learned so much since then that it makes me very sad what we put him through (and what we dealt with), if we'd only known then what we know now.... *sigh*

9. becky5

becky5 Guest

I can't remember the mg, but we were on 1/2 solutab, twice a day. I hope it works for her Danielle! Reflux is miserable.

10. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We started A on Zantac at 6 weeks, but after a few weeks the effectiveness wore off. Increased her dosage of Zantac, that effectiveness wore off even quicker.

Started her on Prevacid 1/2 solutab a day and oh my word, what a difference. Never had to change her dose either. I hope it works for you guys as well!!

11. ohjojo

ohjojo Well-Known Member

when DD started prevacid she took 7.5mg or 1/2 of the solutab. it took it almost 2 weeks to kick in, which was really hard. i never felt that the dose was correct either but her pedi would not rx a higher dose <_< so i took her to the pedi GI and he adjusted it to the whole 15 mg tab once a day. it works really really well.

something to consider that i wish i had known while DD was suffering waiting for the prevacid to kick in is that you can give zantac and prevacid at the same time because they work on different mechanisms of acid production. the GI told me this after we had already made it through the worst of it...so if your DD is having a hard time while adjusting to the prevacid, dose her up with the zantac too.

good luck and i hope the prevacid works for her!

12. becky5

becky5 Guest

QUOTE(ohjojo @ May 22 2009, 11:19 AM) [snapback]1324288[/snapback]
    something to consider that i wish i had known while DD was suffering waiting for the prevacid to kick in is that you can give zantac and prevacid at the same time because they work on different mechanisms of acid production.

Yes. From what I remember the Zantac neutralizes the acid, and the Prevacid shuts off the acid pumps. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

13. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

Bella started out on 1/2 a 15mg solutab once a day(at 4 weeks old), she started taking 1/2 a solutab twice day at 3 months (this was just because the 1/2 tab wasn't cutting it and giving it the whole solutab once a day didn't combat the opposite time of day that her reflux would act up...if I gave it in the morning, she was miserable by night, if I gave it at night, she was miserable by morning so it's a split dose). Has worked beautifully.