Prevacid and reflux

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Gimena, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Gimena

Gimena Well-Known Member

DD has reflux, She throws up after her feading at least once a day (looks like a fountain) and is really fuzzy.
    Dr told me to split the Prevacid pill and give it to her twice a day.
    It worked fine when he gave it to her at the office, but
    when I try she either jokes or throws up. Do you put on on her tounge
    and hold it until it dissolves? is under the tounge after she ate better?

My son has reflux too...I can tell by his breathing at night but dr. just
    said to give him rice ceral in his formula..1 tsp per ounce. He also
    arches his back and Iread here that is reflux also.....but he does not cry
    or is fuzzy... I feel bad because I hold my dd longer since she cries....and he is just
    happy most of the time laying there, I wish I had 4 hands...so far
    that is the one thing I don't like about having twins... I can't give them
    100 % of my attention when they are the most volnuerable and can't express
    their feelings :mellow: ...any suggestions?

2. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

Is she on the Prevacid Solutab? When my girls were little I used to crush it up into itty bitty pieces into a little tupperware jar, wet my finger (my hands were clean of course) on their tongue and put finger fulls into their mouths. It worked really well. I never had much success with the syringe deal... You can also try breaking it in half and putting it in their cheeks. Now that my girls are older I just put the whole tab in their mouth and it dissolves really quickly.

3. baby2hughes

baby2hughes Well-Known Member

My DD is on the prevacid solutab and we dissolve it in a medicine dropper with 4ml of water and she just sucks it down. Some granules fall out of her mouth but she gets most of it.

4. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

I had no problem with the syringe either as PP stated, and once she got a little older, probably 6-7mo I broke it in half and popped it in her cheek.

It works best when given 30mins before a meal (on an empty stomach).

Good luck!!

5. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

QUOTE(baby2hughes @ Oct 25 2008, 02:47 PM) [snapback]1041504[/snapback]
    My DD is on the prevacid solutab and we dissolve it in a medicine dropper with 4ml of water and she just sucks it down. Some granules fall out of her mouth but she gets most of it.

This is exactly what we did for both of the boys. Seemed to work well for us. I am sorry that you are having such a rough time. Reflux is hard on everyone. Hopefully the Prevacid will help decrease the pain during eating you can spread your time with DS too. Dont worry he will never remember that you need to spend a bit more time with DD. And then they will probably switch on you at some point. So hang in there and dont beat yourself up. You are doing a great job.

6. 3greysandamutt

3greysandamutt Well-Known Member

we dissolve it on a baby spoon with a few drops of water, then drip it on his tongue. good luck!

7. brookbranplus2

brookbranplus2 Well-Known Member

Hmm, I always put a little of there formula in a medicine cup and let it dissolve then suck it up with a syringe. Is ther a reason you guys use water??

8. becky5

becky5 Guest

I broke the tab into small pieces, put it in the side of their cheek, and squirted a little bit of water in to help it dissolve.

9. b/gtwinmom07

b/gtwinmom07 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(blended6 @ Oct 26 2008, 02:15 AM) [snapback]1042293[/snapback]
    Hmm, I always put a little of there formula in a medicine cup and let it dissolve then suck it up with a syringe. Is ther a reason you guys use water??

I think they say to use water on the instrucitons because technically it should be given on an empty stomach 30 minutes before feeding.

I tried the syringe, medicine dropper...all of it. I couldn't get those little granules out! So I asked the pharmacist and in the instructions that come with the medicine (from the manufacturer) it says you can add an additional 2 ml if you need to to get the granules left behind.

I found a dosing pacifier at Walgreens. It is $4.99 but the best $4.99 I ever spent. It looks like a mini bottle and they can just drink it. I automatically just put the 6ml of water in and the nipple hole is big enough that all the granules come out. When I went through the nipple (after a few months they get gross) I just replaced it with the nipple from the Dr. Brown bottles that are made to give with thicker liquids and that worked like a charm!

GL

10. beemer

beemer Well-Known Member

We take the Prevacid solutabs, too. I let the pill disolve in water then use a dropper to give it to them. They would probably take it as is now, but we haven't tried. They are amazingly good at the droppers. :)