Prevacid and formula

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Sarah75, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Sarah75

Sarah75 Well-Known Member

If you have a baby on reflux medicine (mine is on Prevacid) which formula do you use ??

Thanks

2. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

Both of my girls were on Prevacid (the solutab) and we used the Kirkland (costco) brand formula with Dr. Browns bottles and it worked well. :good: Good Luck!!

3. vtlakey

vtlakey Well-Known Member

We played the formula roulette game for a few months. They came home from NICU on Neosure, which tore their tummies up from bad gas, as did Enfacare formula. We also suspected reflux around this time too, in addition to their horrible gas pains. So we next tried Similac Senstive and Gentlease, neither of which helped with their tummy or reflux issues. Though we briefly tried thickening Gentlease with some teaspoons of rice (which was a total pain and caused too many issues with the nipple). After that we tried Enfamil AR for acid reflux, which worked great at reducing spit up because it was thickened with rice starch, but it constipated our boys horribly. Finally, at around 6 months or so we switched to Enfamil Premium but thickened it with a homemade gel thickener to reduce spit up, and then we had success. That combination with 15mg solutabs of prevacid worked wonders with reflux. They were on Enfamil Premium for several months, and then we switched to Target Prebiotic brand (which we also thickened) and they had no issues.

Best of luck! It is so hard finding just the right formula that your babies will tolerate along with the right dose of meds.

4. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

Mine were on prevacid and nutramigen.

5. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

Mine were primarily breastfed but got 1-2 bottles of formula a day. Only my DS has reflux and I kept them on the same formula. I tried a number of different ones including store brands, and they did best on Good Start Protect Plus. DS liked the taste best and DD had improved gassiness and constipation. Once on the prevacid, it didn't seem to matter what formula DS was on. I think lots of doctors try to switch formula first and then treat the reflux and I think it should be the other way around. Now they are both on milk and doing great but he still has to be on the prevacid or he gets "urpy"

6. Magdel

Magdel Member

Hi
    Mine is on prevacid with costco brand as well and Dr Brown bottles. We did not have good luck with the tablets and I found it didn't always dissolve so I asked for it in liquid form and now I just pour it in the formula.