Preschool backpack recommendation? (s/o)

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by snyx, Aug 12, 2013.

1. snyx

snyx Active Member

DD and DS (3.5y) will start preschool next month, and we want to get them fun backpacks to celebrate this milestone. Any recommendations? I saw some adorable options on Amazon by Stephen Joseph, but they get so-so reviews.

2. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

My boys both have Thomas the Train backpacks. Not fullsize but not the mini size. I think they are the 12 inch backpacks?? But not 100%. I'd have to measure them. They have had them since they were 2. I paid $15 a piece at Target on sale. They are now fairly worn (boys are 4 1/2) but I've definitely gotten my money out of them. They still use them even though the bottoms are getting threadbare.

3. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

www.llbean.com Seriously, you can't go wrong with their backpacks. You can get the junior size for little kids. They are well made, and last a long time. My oldest son is 11 and he's had his original back pack for 3 yrs. My oldest daughter is about to turn 7, she's also had a junior one for 3 yrs but didn't actually use it for school (her 3k, 4k and 5k classes used tote bags instead). It's just been used around the house and as her travel bag for trips. I just ordered her an original backpack for school yesterday and I anticipate it will last her through most of the rest of elementary school.

www.landsend.com also has pretty good backpacks.

www.potterybarnkids.com has super cute backpacks but I can't attest to how well they stand up.

4. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with the LLBean recommendation. L&L have used theirs for 2 years now (kindergarten & grade 1), I just put them through the wash today to get them ready for the start of the 3rd year and they came out looking like new. They have survived being thrown all over the car, the playground, in the mud, in the rain, etc. They also have a lifetime guarantee and LLBean's customer service is great.

5. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I like the options at Pottery Barn Kids and find them well made with clever features. They also come in different sizes based on height.

That said, I carried an LL Bean bag for 4 years of undergrad and 3 years of law school, and that thing was indestructible. I just don't know that I need indestructible for a bag that they will outgrow in a few years regardless.

6. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

My kids teachers require backpacks can hold unfolded A4 papers (11"x8.5"). So 12" backpacks are perfect. But u need to check the dimension. Some are 12x10x4, some are just 12x9 or 8"

I would love to buy good school bags for them. But my girl likes hello kitty and my boy likes McQueen car. So they got them :). Have fun shopping

7. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

We bought Sugarbooger packs from amazon. The girls love them and they fit a change of clothes and shoes.

8. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I thought about that before I ordered the ones we have. I ended up ordering the regular size (original I think they are called) instead of the junior size, thinking they will probably last all through elementary school. They were a bit big on them at first but they have grown into them now and with them having to carry lunch boxes, plus all their library books, etc. they have never seemed too large.

1 person likes this.
  9. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I also have the original one for Sean, and that's what I ordered for Kaelyn this year too. She's going into 1st grade and this should last her through the rest of elementary school. Sean's had his 2 yrs, this will be his 3rd year with it (going into 6th grade)and it should last him through middle school at the very least.

10. weegus

weegus Well-Known Member

I second the recommendation of LL Bean Original backpacks. I got my kids the junior backpacks (blue crocodile and solid blue) and they love them. Zippers are easy to operate and very durable. The size is perfect for them now but we will probably have to get bigger ones for Kindergarten. The quality of the bag is fantastic and it will last a long time. If I had to do it over, I would have bought the original backpacks right off the bat. Check online for coupon codes before ordering... they offer them a lot!

11. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

This.

I had a Jansport for... well, I still have it. But I want something rather disposable for the boys. I don't think they will want to carry their 'preschool' backpack at 10. So they got cheapie Target ones that were character (Mario and Planes).

12. 4lilmonkeys

4lilmonkeys Well-Known Member

We have always bought from LL Bean and we still use the old ones for car trips or overnight visits with the grandparents.

One of the nice things is that they're 100% guaranteed for life, so if anything happens to them, LL Bean will replace them. Apparently, it doesn't matter how old they are because when ordering new ones on the phone (she said something about how I've ordered "A LOT" of backpacks from them :lol:), I mentioned that the hanging strap popped off of one and she told me to send it back for a replacement. Their customer service is great too, so that always keeps me going back.

13. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

We got our first ones for preschool from pottery barn kids. They used them through Kindergarten and still have them for overnight trips. They have the buckles in front to snap which I just loved. Very durable and super cute.

We now have the llbean as well. The only down side is the no buckles in the front...I seriously loved that feature on our old ones.