Preparing for babies

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Saramcc, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Saramcc

Saramcc Well-Known Member

Did any of you have to downsize your home to make room for the arrival of the babies? What did you have to get rid of?

We live in an apt so we had to downsize quite a bit. We got rid of two fish tanks, a love seat, replace our hard to out of sofa with a new one, my cat, our rickety t.v stand for a more stable one and smaller. SO's daughter had to give up most of her stuff to make room for the babies, they share a room.

oh well, It was worth it though :D

2. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

It seemed like we increased the amout of things in our house. LOL. We bought a house 4 years ago when we were trying to get pregnant. Being just DH and I we had lots fo space. Now it is all taken up. We need more storage.

3. New Mom

New Mom Well-Known Member

We got rid of all the lamps, end tables, coffe table, guest bedroom and bed, computer desk and I think that is all. But you are right, it is worth it!

4. twinmuffin

twinmuffin Well-Known Member

The main thing we got rid of was our pool table. We then moved our living room to where our pool table was, office to where the living room was, and DS to where the office was, so that the babies could have DS's old room.

5. 3greysandamutt

3greysandamutt Well-Known Member

We had to thin out excess to make room for all the baby STUFF, and we switched DD to a bigger bedroom, so that we could move many of her toys from the family room (shared space) to her bedroom. We are still overflowing, though!!! Our house is going on the market on Monday... I hope we sell quickly, and can find the bigger home of our dreams!!!

6. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I lost my workout craft room and the cats lost their "dog safe" room :( But like you said well worth it... The game room moved into the craft/cats room and the game room is now the nursery... My poor treadmill and tv are in the laundry room.

7. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

I'd recommend baby proofing early. Have a friend come over with a busy 9 month old or older and remove everything they get into. I thought I was so prepared but when they arrive you don't have time to change your livingroom around for a moving baby. I found wicker baskets were great for putting their clothes into or toys or hats and then I put them into the book shelves. This way the bottom two shelves were safe. I also found I had more friends with children visiting so I need to have the house proofed for them.

8. idtwinstx

idtwinstx Well-Known Member

After the babies came, we got rid of our pool table. That room is now the babies playroom. It was so worth it because the babies always have a safe place to play, and we never played pool anyway, so I was happy to get rid of it :)

9. allboys

allboys Well-Known Member

We actually moved into a new 5 bedroom home just before the babies came.

10. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

We got rid of the coffee table, more for safety than downsize need. And we had our dining room table off to the corner for a long time. It's back to its normal spot now though. Otherwise we had tons of room, we had 3 extra bedrooms before the babies, now we have 2.

11. mricharde

mricharde Well-Known Member

We had to do room switches and in the process got rid of a very large pool table (that i had wanted to purge long before this :) ). We also got rid of a lot of outdated clothes and toys my ds and dd had been accumulating. It was actually refreshing to chunk stuff.

Melissa