Prenatal Massage

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by alliandre, Feb 12, 2008.

1. alliandre

alliandre Well-Known Member

My wonderful SIL got me a prenatal massage and I was just wondering if anyone else has had one. I'm having a really hard time getting comfortable when I'm laying down and I was curious as to how you have to lay. (I'm starting to have a hard time getting comfortable all the time.) I'm hoping it feels as good as having a regular massage and that I'm not uncomfortable the entire time. My back is aching for it though!

2. ghanigirl

ghanigirl Well-Known Member

Oh it is WONDERFUL!!!! In fact, I am getting one today through my chiropractor. I was seeing a pre-natal massouse (sp?), but unfortunately she wasn't covered under my insurance (which I found out after three visits). When I did see her, she had these cool pillows made for pregnant ladies and you just sort of laid in them. It was VERY comfortable and I know you will LOVE it!

My chiropractor doesn't have those, but the massage therapist has a wedge at home and keeps telling me she is going to bring it. I've only had two massages from her. In the meantime, I've just used a pillow under my belly and laid on my side. Normally, this might get old, but because she is rubbing all my muscles, I don't feel uncomfortable by any means.

Enjoy the massage, it is a wonderful experience and I can't imagine anyone not relaxing because of it.

3. Penguin_ie

Penguin_ie Well-Known Member

I had one at 27 weeks and it was great! So relaxing and I had the best night's sleep after.
    I was in two positions: first, I was laying over a birthing ball and the lady worked on my head and back. Then she had my lay on my left side, with a pillow between my legs, one for my upper arm and a fleece under my belly while she worked on my arms, legs, belly and back.

4. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I had one, and wished I had started sooner. I had mine at 29 weeks and wound up on bedrest the next day for PTL and wasn't able to have another one! (I doubt the massage had anything to do with the PTL.) And the therapist had actually offered to do another one for free if I would let her students watch.

The therapist I went to specialized in pregnant and postpartum women, so she had a good setup. She had various bolsters & pillows on the table and had me lie sort of on my side with my upper leg over a pillow. She encouraged me to take as much time as I needed to get comfortable so I could relax completely.

I can't say it made a HUGE difference in how I felt right afterwards (though if I'd had them regularly, it might have), but it was certainly enjoyable and relaxing.

5. marcy874

marcy874 Well-Known Member

I had one around 27-30 weeks. I really liked it! She had me lay one one side, I think using pillows, then I turned on the other side. Very nice and relaxing! The lady that did mine had 2 year old twins, so she knew how I felt!!

6. eviedc

eviedc Well-Known Member

I have my first one on Friday. I am really excited. If it goes well I'll sent up an appt for another one.

evie

7. mamaleah

mamaleah Well-Known Member

I had them with my other 2 pregnancies and they are great. The place I went had a prenatal pillow that allowed me to lay on my stomach, it is a pillow with a spot in it for your belly to fit, it supports your hips and sholders and is the best thing ever!!! It felt so good to be off my side and on my belly without the pressure on my belly. I can't wait to get my first one with this pregnancy!!! My hips would feel great for days after and it really seemed to help my "pregnancy headaches". ENJOY!!!!

8. hilly

hilly Well-Known Member

I went once a month throughout the last pregnancy until I went on bedrest. It's fabulous and I highly recommend it.

9. ldwa

ldwa Well-Known Member

had one w/ my last pg and it was heavenly. highly recommended!! :good: as for how you lie down- I was on my sides for the whole thing.

have fun!!

10. alliandre

alliandre Well-Known Member

I went today and EVERYONE should have one. I have not felt so good since I got pregnant. I'm gonna tell DH I want one for Valentine's Day and Presidents Day, and ........ :p

11. Angelaandtwins

Angelaandtwins Well-Known Member

I think they should be regularly prescribed by doctors for pregnant women!! I have had them in both pregnancies and they are miraculously relaxing. I, too, just laid on my side with pillows everywhere I needed them. Fabulous. I`m going again next week and I can`t wait!

Angela

12. jkendall

jkendall Well-Known Member

I had a person come to my house and do a prenatal massage (my brother paid for it for me for a Christmas present) when I was about 32 weeks pregnant. It was awesome. I had to lay on my side for the whole thing, but it was still very relaxing and helped my back pain a lot.