Preemie Clothes

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by karis29, Apr 2, 2007.

1. karis29

karis29 Member

First off my two dd's were 6lb12oz and 6lb2oz, so I'm sure my twins will be small even if I go full term.

So, where is the best places to buy preemie clothes - online or I'm in the Houston, TX area.
    I want gender specific if they have them - these girls are my last - and would like cute things.

Also should I buy tshirts/other specific for NICU wear (for tubes ect if needed) just in case.

And do they make smaller receiving blankets for the littler ones?

Any thoughts would be helpful, thanks!

2. Grandma2TwinBoys

Grandma2TwinBoys Well-Known Member

I picked up one preemie outfit each for my DD's little boys at Dillards and one each at Walmart. The ones from Walmart are every bit as cute and good quality, and half the cost. (I don't know if DD's boys will need preemie clothes, she is delivering this week and the estimated weights are 5lb 11oz & 6lb 7oz, but she wanted to have a couple of special outfits that fit well when she has visitors the first week or so!)

3. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Walmart has a surprisingly decent collection of preemie clothes. We ended up just using the newborn sizes in Carters and at Baby Gap which go up to 7 pounds. Mine were tiny, but they were swaddled 100% of the time and so it didn't matter if their onesies or jammies were a tad too big!

We used the Amy Coe recieving blankets from Target. They were on the smallish size, but were just perfect for the first couple months.

I can't help you with the NICU clothing question, but I would assume that the onesies provided by the hospital would be the best bet.

4. Aurie

Aurie Well-Known Member

I have bought a couple really cute onesies from Walmart. I also got a few more outfits off eBay. I think I have about 6-7 little premmie outfits/onesies per baby. It is probably too much as I don't know how small/large the babies will be. But the Walmart cloths are pretty cheap. So, I didn't feel as if I was spending alot needlessly.

5. bethsull

bethsull Well-Known Member

I've had good luck finding preemie clothes at the Baby Depot at Burlington Coat Factory. As well, the local children's resale shop had TONS when I went in there.

Hope this helps!

6. karis29

karis29 Member

Thank you for yall's responses.

Looks like I should really check out Walmart, not necessarily my favorite store, but if I can find preemie clothes that would be awesome. The Target and BRU near me have squat.

7. Orestia

Orestia Well-Known Member

If you're anywhere near the Katy outlet mall, try the Carter's store there. I think I remember seeing a bunch of cute things while I was there last weekend. Also, Babies R' Us does have some very cute preemie clothes, although the selection is pretty small.

As far as t-shirts go... My girls were both just shy 5 lbs. when they were born. They didn't need to spend any time in the NICU, but ALL we put them in for the first few weeks were little button-up t-shirts, socks, hats and diapers. We had to change their diapers so often, and they'd spit up so often, that putting them in their cute little clothes just got to be a hassle :). "Dressing up" became wearing the colorful t-shirts instead of plain white ones. By the time we got all the reflux sorted out, they were too big for their preemie clothes. :rolleyes:

8. Vero

Vero Well-Known Member

I definitely recommend Baby Depot (Burlington Coat Factory) too. They have plenty of cute and inexpensive premie outfits that read "up to 6 lbs". I bought my girls each 2 outfits - specially 1 for the hospital photo and when we take them home. I wanted the outfits to fit them and not be too big on them. Good Luck. :)

9. Fay

Fay Well-Known Member

I'd definately say Walmart (not a fave of mine at all either). The quality is good, the selection is the best and you can't beat the price. We picked up a few things at BRU before realizing there were preemie sizes at WM and we could have gotten two sleepers for the price of one at walmart! Also, the Gerber preemie caps were the only caps that fit anthony when we brought him home (at 4lb4oz)

I wouldn't worry too much about what you may need for a NICU if necessary. They won't need clothes in the NICU and probably wouldn't be able to wear them right away anyway. We found that most any sleeper with snaps worked for us since by the time our boys were able to wear clothes (in the PICU) all they had were leads and PICC lines. As long as we stayed away from zippers and gowns, we were okay. Of course, once we were home, i LOVED those zippers and gowns!

10. 1girltwinboyz

1girltwinboyz Well-Known Member

One word EBAY! I swear I got (and resold as they only wore them 2-3 weeks maybe?) tons of preemie baby boy clothes there! I did get gifts from baby gap, the childrens place and gymboree that were very nice as well! For the newbie days, I totally recommend the gowns that do not snap or button or anything just a hem with elastic or the like. Those were awesome for getting on and off their bumms for the 8-10 middle of night changes when you are mostly asleeep.

GOOD LUCk!!!!!!!

11. twingma

twingma Well-Known Member

Walmaart is the best place to buy preemie clothes. Ebay is the other. We got most off ebay to begin with not anticipating the girls to be in them long but as they have approached 3 months and are still wearing mainly preemie sizes we have bought more at Walmart. FYI my granddaughters were NOT small preemies. Each weighed 5# born at 36 1/2 weeks. There is darling stuff both at Walmart and on ebay. Enjoy your girls!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

I found that my kids outgrew the preemie clothes by the time they hit six pounds. In fact it wasn't so much the weight as the length which caused them to outgrow their clothes. So I wouldn't buy too much in preemie clothes. As far as NICU, by the time they are allowed to wear clothes, they won't need anything special...and you might find that they start to outgrow their clothes even while in NICU. But hopefully they won't be in NICU....

13. Kymy

Kymy Well-Known Member

well I think the other ladies have hit most the spots! I know that Old Navy now has a selection of up to 7lb stuff as well. I would aim for mostly up to 7lb newborn stuff not TONS of preemie. My son was born at 39 weeks... 6lbs 15oz & 20.5" long. He wore preemie stuff (up to 5lbs) for about a week if it was one peice... 2 if it was 2 peices. Then he wore the rest of up to 7lbs stuff until he was 4 weeks... & any two peice outfits until about 6 weeks.

I think you are in the same boat as me. What I would suggest is buying mostly 2 peice outfits... they will where them longer! Like the PP said, they out grow them in length normally before they start to get any where near to small around. I think for the girls I have 5 or 6 preemie peices (this includes sleepers dresses for the hospital & a few other outfits. Besides that I got them mostly newborn stuff (up to 7lbs) I also opted mostly for gowns... though I do have some footed sleepers... but the gowns last longer!

I have had OKAY luck with Ebay, but its really hit & miss. I know walmart isn't your favorite store... but thats what most the clothes you will find on ebay are! For the price that they often sell for (not always, but supply is low demand is high) you are better off going & buying them new! I think walmarts preemie stuff ranges from $3.50... $6.50 Then fancy dresses & outfits will be as much as $15. But thats not all that bad.

14. AdorableNess

AdorableNess New Member

We've had really good luck with Itty Bitty Baby clothes. Most of their outfits start at 4-7lbs (which they call micro-preemie), but they also carry gowns, jumpers and t-shirts for NICU babies starting at 1.5lbs. And they have an online store if you can't find a local retailer: www.ittybittybabyboutique.com