*pouting* not so good phone call (long)

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by mooshie, Dec 7, 2006.

1. mooshie

mooshie Well-Known Member

[​IMG] so yesterday I was at Dr. apointments all day pretty much. I had my regular glucose test, and saw my OB, and got a flu shot there (dumb thing was I chose to get it in my left arm, not thinking that I usually sleep on my left side, and my arm could get sore. so I didn't sleep last night because it hurt too much on my left, and I'm always uncomfortable in any other position). so already I got poked twice. but the visit went well. I'm measuring at 35 weeks [​IMG] and the heartbeats sound good. luckily my OB determined that I had a sinus infection and not just a cold. so he gave me a perscription for antiboitics, and it's already starting to help somewhat. I'm so glad he did that. I figured he'd just write it off as a cold, and leave it at that with me miserable. I love my OB he's so nice. anyway so that was my OB visit.

then I had an echo (basically an ultrasound on your heart) at my cardiologist's office, so lots of poking and prodding, I hate getting these darn things and then a follow up visit with the DR. to talk about what's goin' on. I was soooo hoping that he'd just say that I need to deliver sooner rather than later (like 36 VS 38 weeks) for the sake of my overworked heart valve. I just don't think I have a lot of hope of going into labor given my history, and I'm already rather miserable and uncomfortable a majority of the time. I guess I just figured he was my last hope for ending this any earlier. I want healthy babies, but I also want the misery to end, and I just feel like it's going to last forever! anyway, so basically he said things are going better than he would expect for a twin pregnancy for me. so I'll just be this way the rest of my life. nobody's gonna help me out! see I warned you I was pouting.

then this morning I get a phone call from my OB's office. I didn't pass my glucose test! so now I get to do the 3 hour one! so now I'm worried that I may not pass the next test. and if I fail I have no idea what that would mean for me?? am I just garanteed huge twins and stupid blood tests every day? I don't feel like I'm big enough for little twins (little to me being 5ish pounds). I'm not even 5'2", and just don't happen to want to know the pain of carrying 2 big babies. *sigh* I guess my only hope is that I may pass this test.

as much as I love my OB he doesn't seem to be the type that would scheduel my C-section just because they're getting big. he's a little old fashioned that way.

does anyone know what really happens if you DO have GD? other than testing your blood all the time that is? other than that I pretty much know nothing about it.

I'm really hoping it was just a fluke. I did have some sugar cereal for breakfast, and did my 1 hr test rather early in the day. maybe that combined with the sugar drink made it elevated? I think there's still hope, but I've never had an elevated test b-4, so that scares me that this next test may not turn out good either.
    *sigh* anyway that was not the phone call I was hoping for today. so I'm all moody now.
    thanks for "listening"
    Michelle

2. mooshie

[​IMG] so yesterday I was at Dr. apointments all day pretty much. I had my regular glucose test, and saw my OB, and got a flu shot there (dumb thing was I chose to get it in my left arm, not thinking that I usually sleep on my left side, and my arm could get sore. so I didn't sleep last night because it hurt too much on my left, and I'm always uncomfortable in any other position). so already I got poked twice. but the visit went well. I'm measuring at 35 weeks [​IMG] and the heartbeats sound good. luckily my OB determined that I had a sinus infection and not just a cold. so he gave me a perscription for antiboitics, and it's already starting to help somewhat. I'm so glad he did that. I figured he'd just write it off as a cold, and leave it at that with me miserable. I love my OB he's so nice. anyway so that was my OB visit.

then I had an echo (basically an ultrasound on your heart) at my cardiologist's office, so lots of poking and prodding, I hate getting these darn things and then a follow up visit with the DR. to talk about what's goin' on. I was soooo hoping that he'd just say that I need to deliver sooner rather than later (like 36 VS 38 weeks) for the sake of my overworked heart valve. I just don't think I have a lot of hope of going into labor given my history, and I'm already rather miserable and uncomfortable a majority of the time. I guess I just figured he was my last hope for ending this any earlier. I want healthy babies, but I also want the misery to end, and I just feel like it's going to last forever! anyway, so basically he said things are going better than he would expect for a twin pregnancy for me. so I'll just be this way the rest of my life. nobody's gonna help me out! see I warned you I was pouting.

then this morning I get a phone call from my OB's office. I didn't pass my glucose test! so now I get to do the 3 hour one! so now I'm worried that I may not pass the next test. and if I fail I have no idea what that would mean for me?? am I just garanteed huge twins and stupid blood tests every day? I don't feel like I'm big enough for little twins (little to me being 5ish pounds). I'm not even 5'2", and just don't happen to want to know the pain of carrying 2 big babies. *sigh* I guess my only hope is that I may pass this test.

as much as I love my OB he doesn't seem to be the type that would scheduel my C-section just because they're getting big. he's a little old fashioned that way.

does anyone know what really happens if you DO have GD? other than testing your blood all the time that is? other than that I pretty much know nothing about it.

I'm really hoping it was just a fluke. I did have some sugar cereal for breakfast, and did my 1 hr test rather early in the day. maybe that combined with the sugar drink made it elevated? I think there's still hope, but I've never had an elevated test b-4, so that scares me that this next test may not turn out good either.
    *sigh* anyway that was not the phone call I was hoping for today. so I'm all moody now.
    thanks for "listening"
    Michelle

3. mrsfussypants

mrsfussypants Well-Known Member

the sugar cereal you ate before the test almost definitely affected the outcome. As crappy as it sounds, try to schedule the next one either first thing in the morning and don't eat...or several hours after you eat so your blood sugar will return to normal. Is this the first glucose test you've had? If you've made it to 35 weeks without being diagnosed, you're probably just fine. Even if you DO get diagnosed, you're so close to delivering, they'll probably just have you watch your diet closely and deliver soon. Try not to stress it. Relax as much as you can, and be thrilled your heart is working so well!! It really is a blessing that your body has been able to support these babies. They just need to cook a little longer.....

4. lkfmommy

lkfmommy Well-Known Member

At the 3 hour test, you'll be required to fast for 12 hours prior too. You'll want to schedule it for FIRST THING in the morning because you'll fast for 12 hours, take the test over 3 hours, that 15 hours of NO EATTING!

Plus, A LOT of twin mom's fail the one hour test, it's really not uncommon.

I fasted for 12 hours prior to my 1 hour test and failed it. Took the 3 hour test and passed it.

5. mooshie

thanks, I am hoping it was just the sugary cearial, but I'm only 28 weeks, not really near 35 (just measuring 35). this is the first glucose test I've had with this pregnancy, but with my other 3 pregnancies none of the glucose tests came back high at all. that's why this upsets me.
    thanks again
    Michelle

6. mrsfussypants

Sorry I didn't realize you were 28 weeks, but measuring 35. Even better info is the fact that with your other pregnancies you were negative for GD. You're gonna be fine. You'll see....

7. mooshie

quote:
    Originally posted by mrsfussypants:
    Sorry I didn't realize you were 28 weeks, but measuring 35. Even better info is the fact that with your other pregnancies you were negative for GD. You're gonna be fine. You'll see....

thanks, I hope so.

I see you're up in Layton. what hospital do you plan to deliver at? my mom works maternity at McKay Dee.
    I get curious when I see ppl are from Ut.
    Michelle

8. stephsboys

stephsboys Well-Known Member

Mooshie,
    My dd delivered her twins last week at 36w.1d and she had GD. She is only 5'1. She was able to control it with diet and it was really not that big a deal. Her boys weighed 5.14 and 5.10 right on target for 36 weeks. She said the testing was not a big deal either...
    I'm sure you will pass the 3 hour most people do!
    Good luck
    Lindy, mom to Stephanie

9. sitkamom

sitkamom Well-Known Member

WOW, your day started out just like mine yesterday! I too had my first glucose test, and failed (only I DId fast ahead of time, so I can't blame it on sugary cereal [​IMG] bummer). I think my level was around 166 and they like to see it at 140? Anyway, I'm just as far along as you and I was measuring 36 weeks, if I remember correctly, or maybe it was 34 weeks. Pregnesia rears it ugly head [​IMG] So, I too am a little concerned about taking the three hour test, but I figure its better to know than not know and we can do something about it. I really don't look foward to changing my diet though. Good luck at your next test and let us know how it goes.

10. mrsfussypants

Hey Mooshie, where are you in UT? I have a choice between delivering at McKay Dee or Davis. Davis is right next to my dr.'s office, and a few miles from my house...so that's for sure the most convenient...although I have heard that McKay has a better NICU. I am going to wait and see how things progress before I decide. If all is well...then probably Davis for convienience sake.

When is your 3 hour glucose test?

11. mooshie

I'm in the middle of no where lol! otherwise know as Eagle Mountain. you know that place that's had 9 mayors in 10 years lol! it's in Utah County way out west of Lehi. it's growing like a weed though. heck some day we may even have a grocery store!

well, after crying to DH about having to starve pracically to death, and all the stupid driving (my Dr is about an hour away), and having to find a babysitter for 5 hours! we decided that he would work from home tomorrow to save a little trouble. so it'll be first thing tomorrow morning.

I wasn't sure I liked this idea at first, because I'd have to wait longer for results, but..... if it does turn out to be bad I'll have all weekend to eat whatever I want b-4 they can call me on Monday to give me the bad news. and IF I get my wish and it was just a fluke then I will just eat whatever I want all weekend anyway and then get some good news on Monday. so that's why I decided on tomorrow rather than putting it off. I just really hope I get my wish! I hate having to watch what I eat. not that i just eat junk all the time. but to have to actually think about everything I'm eating. I don't know if I could do it! oh well
    anyway, keep your fingers crossed for me [​IMG]
    Michelle

12. kendraplus2

kendraplus2 Well-Known Member

So, some good things and some not-so-good things happened ... I wouldn't worry about not passing the 1-hour, a lot of women don't pass it. And the sugary cereal probably had a lot to do with it. When I had my one-hour, the 2 days before I cut out all soda and juice and drank only water and milk, avoided all things sugary, and in the morning of the test I made scrambled eggs with cheese - I didn't fast until after I had the drink. I passed it. I'm sure you'll do great on the 3-hour!

13. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

Well, maybe off topic, but your OB is great to go ahead and prescribe you meds for the sinus infection! I had an awful one a few months ago and he made me go see my regular doc for it. So you got to kill two birds with one stone there!

Sorry about the test, but good luck with the 3hr.

And keep those babies in there! You want to go 36 wks and beyond!You're getting to the miserable stage now, but whatever you do, don't wish them out yet! (oK, I'll quit wagging my finger in your face [​IMG]

14. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

You have gotten some great reponses, I will just repeat that you shouldn't stress until you find out the results of the 3 hour. Many many women have the 1 hour return abnormal but the 3 hour was right on. Also, the whole point of diagnosing GD is so that the babies don't get too large for the 'wrong' reasons. Many cases can be controlled with diet while some cases require insulin but again taking these courses of action is to ensure proper growth of the babies.

Please let us know how it goes and definitely follow any pretesting instructions you may have gotten. The cereal could have had an effect!

15. mooshie

thank you for all the great replies. I'll let you all know how the results come out on Monday. oh how I'm hoping to pass!
    Michelle