Potty training, what is my next step?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by melissao, Nov 20, 2006.

1. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

Catherine has been consistently using the potty (to pee) since last Thursday. She has been asking me or I've been taking her and she pees in the potty. She also pooped once. Her diaper is dry except for waking up in the morning and after nap. So what is the next step. Do I put her in pull ups and then go to panties or go to panties and just use pull ups at bed/nap time? Thanks [​IMG]

2. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

Catherine has been consistently using the potty (to pee) since last Thursday. She has been asking me or I've been taking her and she pees in the potty. She also pooped once. Her diaper is dry except for waking up in the morning and after nap. So what is the next step. Do I put her in pull ups and then go to panties or go to panties and just use pull ups at bed/nap time? Thanks [​IMG]

3. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

Honestly its been awhile since I potty trained my older children .. but we didnt have pull-ups when my dd's trained, we went right to undies except for at night, then I used diapers until they started waking up dry the next morning. It's so great that she is potty training so well !! My boys dont even show signs of being ready [​IMG]

4. anicosia

anicosia Well-Known Member

I'd skip the pull ups and go straight to undies. Make it special. Take her to the store and let her pick some out. Keep using the diapers until she wakes up dry.
    Good luck!

5. Dianne

Dianne Well-Known Member

I agree, skip the pull ups except for naps/bedtime.

Great job Catherine!

6. thompsontwinners

thompsontwinners Well-Known Member

I totally agree! Don't let her regress by using pullups during the day even if she has accidents. I just use pullups at nap and bedtime. They are staying mostly dry during naps if I can get them to pee before nap but if not, then they have a little accident. But that is so exciting!

7. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

I also agree about panties during the day and pull-ups at nite and nap.
    Eventually she'll wake up dry for a few weeks/months and she'll be completely trained!

8. Juj

Juj Well-Known Member

My plan is to go straight to undies.....

Way to Go, Catherine (& Mommy!) [​IMG]

9. Angelasbabes

Angelasbabes Well-Known Member

Save the money, buy the panties. I agree with PP, go pick out a special pair for her.

10. p31heather

p31heather Well-Known Member

thanks for posting. I need to just start putting Rachel in panties too. I have been inconsistent with diapers, pull ups and panties combo.

11. MommyofThreeBoys

MommyofThreeBoys Well-Known Member

My daycare provider has given me a lot of help on this subject.
    When my son turned 2 1/2 years, she told me to cold turkey put underwear on him and only put pullups on at naptime/night.

If you put pullups on all day and think they are going to work as underpants do, they won't. They can still pee and it works just like a diaper.

12. Bunky

Bunky Active Member

I'm at the same point with our girls, but I just want to mention we are trying the pull-ups, but don't make the mistake of letting them nap or go to bed in them. They are not made to absorb that much.

Anyway, I am thinking the pull-ups are a waste too. They don't get the concept and think they are wearing a diaper. Probably going straight to panties (maybe try the thicker ones) is a better choice.

Potty training with twins sure is a challenge isn't it? Good luck!

13. mnj

mnj Well-Known Member

Definatly undies during day and pull ups at night.

14. Amy A

Amy A Well-Known Member

No advice here, haven't done that yet. But I just wanted to say that's great! Way to go Catherine!

15. Susanna+3

Susanna+3 Well-Known Member

I would take the leap and put her in underwear. My dd is doing the same thing...except she's not keeping her diapers dry... So I'm putting her in pull-ups until she can figure out how to hold it longer. She's only 20 months though...if she were over two I might put her in underwear anyway..a few accidents are wonderful learning experiences for them when they are potty training. So don't be scared or back off if she has a few accidents or even if she starts fussing over using the potty. Encourage her to do her bm's on the potty by teaching her to "read" while she sits and reassuring her that it's okay. But watch for constipation... if she's really holding in her bm's b/c of sitting on the potty you might want to let her put on a diaper to do them for a bit. I only say this b/c my neice started up with potty training constipation over a year ago and pooping is still a major ordeal in my sister's house ...eek... a whole year later and she's still dealing with poop issues. When my dd trained for poop, which was a few days after she figured out the peeing thing, I had to really reassure her...rub her belly..sit with her..give her books, etc, etc.... it can be a scary thing for them. On the other hand my twin dd figured out pooping first.... she poops really consistently on the potty...but doesn't always pee... [​IMG]