Potty training times whats average?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by E&Msmom, Dec 21, 2008.

?

When did you start potting training?

1. 12-15 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 16-20 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 21-24 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 25-30 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 31-36 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. over 36 months

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

We are no where near potty training as my 2 are only 10 months old but glory will the day be that we dont have any more diapers :)
    I was potty trained by 18 months so Im curious whats average....thanks for your input! :) this gives me something to look forward to!

2. littletwinstars

littletwinstars Well-Known Member

We started potty training shortly after their 2nd birthday. We didn't really follow any particular method and really only introduced the potty (i.e. have them sit on it during reading time) at the beginning. We are now at 31 months and I believe they are potty trained (knock on wood) ;) I kind of feel guilty because I think they could've been trained earlier, but I resisted because I thought it would make our day trips/running errands/etc. too difficult. We went diaperless for one morning and had accidents the majority of the time. The next day we tried again and they got it. I was amazed. I thought our DS would learn later, but he actually got the hang of it first. Training them at the same time wasn't bad at all for us. I think it actually helped both of them because they got to learn together. Good luck!

3. Moodyzblu

Moodyzblu Well-Known Member

I started mine just after they turned 2 as well and while one trained faster than the other they were both trained by the time they were 3. I have a very laid back method. I just introduce the potty and let them train themselves. I never had them sit for periods of time. I let them visit with me when I had to potty. I also either let them run around with just underwear on .. or naked .. whatever suited them. I never did pull ups .. most children just view them as a diaper.

Dont stress about it .. it WILL happen .. but when they are ready. Some children are fast trainers and others seem to take forever ... but eventually they ALL get there ! :)
    Its good that you are thinking ahead and doing your research though !

4. Ange2k25

Ange2k25 Well-Known Member

I was fully day and night trained before my first birthday, so I had unrealistic expectations for my girls. I first brought out the potty around 13-14 months. Their birthday is Nov. 2 and we starting trying to PT during winter break since I teach. We actually had some success, but DH is home with them 3-4 days a week and just found it too hard to continue. Knowing what I know now, I don't think it would have been all that successful for at least one of my girls anyway. We tried again and 2 and 2.5 without much success-Jessica had frequent accidents both times and became very upset over them. She is a little perfectionist and wetting her clothes and the floor just really undid her emotionally. She didn't seem to realize when she needed to go or when she did go. She'd never been one to ask for a clean diaper or pull-up. Just before they turned 3, Jessica finally tuned into her body and realized she was going potty in the pull-up and would then ask for a clean one. It was like a switch got pulled. We tried again the week after their third birthday and had success from the first day on. They've had 5 pee accidents between them since Nov. 8th between them.

5. becky5

becky5 Guest

Emma started training at 26 months, and was dry during the day within a week. Jake started training a week ago(30 months), and has only had a couple of accidents since then. I tried training them both at the same time initially, but Jake was not ready, so I focused on Emma first.

6. Cindy H

Cindy H Well-Known Member

I trained one this summer at 27 months because he was showing all signs of readiness, and I tried to train his twin at the same time but after 1 day of no success we gave up. I just knew he was not ready. We still let him sit when his bro sat but he wore a diaper not underwear like his brother. So within a month #1 twin is daytime trained with great success. And now 6 months later #2 still has not interest but we are going to give a try shortly after the older kids go back to school. He is 2 years and 9 months. All 4 of my other kids were trained by 2.5 so I am wanted to push a little now.

Cindy

7. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

we introduced the potties around 2 or so and now at 2 yrs 7 mos my DD is "getting" when she has to pee - won't poop in the potty if her life depended on it...

her brother screams to sit on the potty - does nothing and then either pees on the floor or in his diaper 2 minutes later but won't ask for a change so he's clearly NOT ready!