potty training resources?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by eagleswings216, Jun 8, 2011.

1. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

So my boys are almost 18 months, and I'm already freaking out about potty training. They are starting to do things like hide when they work on a messy diaper, they have many less wet diapers during the day, and are only mildly wet in the mornings rather than totally soaking the overnite diapers. So I'm thinking it might be time to introduce some things. So here are my questions.

1. I have seen an Elmo potty book, and they love Elmo, so I'm thinking about getting that one. There is also a video - anyone seen it? Any other good books or videos for them?
    2. Any good books for ME to read on potty training boys? The boys are my only kids and I have no idea how to even start!
    3. The small potties - did/do you all use them? One of my friends said she just went straight to having her son stand up to pee and sit on the seat ring on the big potty to do poopy and he did great. Anyone else done that?? Or did your boys sit down first and use the small potty?
    4. Did/do any of you have dolls that go potty? I have heard of that and am wondering if it is helpful??

I know to a certain extent it will happen when they are ready, but I don't want to miss out on things we could be doing now. We have started doing things like taking them in the bathroom with us and saying "Look, Mommy is going to potty. Soon you will be able to do this instead of wearing a diaper".

2. MeredithMM

MeredithMM Well-Known Member

My boys are 21 months now, and for a while we've just been talking a lot about the potty, letting them use a baby bjorn potty like this, and making a HUGE deal when they do go pee in it.

We've also done a lot of diaper free time so they understand the feeling of peeing and can start to notice their bodies cues.

We're taking it slowly, no forcing, and so far this is working really well. THey understand the concept for sure. But they're not trained yet. I'm just trying to go with the flow while also heavily encouraging them and talking a lot about going potty!

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

1. I used an Elmo potty book, a book called No More Diapers for Ducky and got a video from the library called Potty Power (recommended by other TSers).
    2. I did not read any books for me on potty training boys or girls...I spoke a lot to my 2 best friends and my mother
    3. I did use the small potties. Our bathroom is not toddler friendly at all. Even at 3 with a step stool, my kids still have trouble climbing on the big potty, no way could they have attempted it when they were young. My son has a talking Elmo potty and my DD has Summer Pink potty. My son is still hit or miss with standing and peeing. He did better using his little potty to do that but having him do it on the big potty is not his cup of tea right now. My son did sit at first and still prefers to sit.
    4. I did not use dolls.

I was really nervous before I started potty training and I think you are off to a good start by taking them in the bathroom and showing them that what they will be doing is a normal process. I would start with reading books to them, if you have little potties already, introducing them to it and then just waiting until they start showing some more signs of readiness. Good luck!

4. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

Thanks, ladies. I'm ordering potties today, as well as a couple of books and a DVD. I'm going to go ahead and get a book for me because I still feel clueless! I'm sure it's like everything else - I'll figure it out as I go along. I don't want to push them if they're not ready, but I also don't want to miss the chance if they ARE ready.

5. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I really liked the book The No Cry Potty Training Solution by Elizabeth Pantley - she has a good section on pre-training as well (a lot of the things you're talking about: talking about pottying, having potties available, reading books, watching videos, etc).

6. E's 3

E's 3 Well-Known Member

Honestly I did nothing with my son except buy some potties and big boy underwear when he was 2. Since coming to this site I have learnt that there are potty training methods, books, DVDs, dances, etc. I guess I just didn't think it was a big deal. Eventually the week before he turned 3 he woke up and decided he was done with diapers and that was the end of it. Nothing done on my part...maybe I was just lucky...I guess we'll see when it comes time for the girls, lol.

I plan to have the same laid back approach with A & A. I don't think I've managed to go to bathroom alone once in the last 1.5 years so they are certainly aware of what happens in there :). I personally think you can over do it with this sort of thing and I also don't think you can force a child to potty train until he/she is ready. It might be a LONG time before they are ready so don't jump in too early :).

To answer your sit vs stand question my son learnt sitting. He only used the small potties a couple of times and then moved to a toddler seat on the toilet, which he again only used a couple of times, then just started using the normal toilet seat. I had DH teach him to pee standing since he has the "equipment" and a better understanding of what's involved. He now alternates between sitting and standing.

7. smiley7

smiley7 Well-Known Member

I was thinking about this too! DS is not wetting his diapers as much but he isn't the biggest drinker either! At this point we have the baby bjorns and they like to take the insert and put it on like a hat :lol: So we put them away so that they wouldn't think that this is a game when there is something in there... I have enough poop to deal with as it is!!

Let me know if you find any good resources. I figure I will let them run around diaper free when we are away at the cottage this summer.

Good luck :)