Potty as a bedtime stalling tactic

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Minette, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

My twins are 27 months and becoming pros at bedtime stalling. Amy's latest is that she'll start wailing that she wants to go potty. She never says this during the bedtime routine -- she says it the minute we say a last "night-night" and walk out the door.

They are nowhere near being trained -- they never tell us when they have to go, and although Amy usually manages to produce some pee on the potty when we take her, she also pees freely in her diaper. So I'm inclined to tell her she doesn't get to go potty after she's in bed, but my DH thinks we're sending the wrong message as far as PT goes -- even if she's only saying it to stall.

FWIW, they do go potty as part of the bedtime routine, but it's not the immediate last thing. We do diapers/potty, PJs, sleep sacks, stories, a sippy of milk, and toothbrushing. So it would be pretty inconvenient to take the PJs and sleep sack off again just before bed. WWYD?

2. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I would tell her that she can go, but if she goes, she will have to loose something. For example, my boys each sleep with 2 of something--Jon sleeps with 2 blankies. If he said he had to go, he would be allowed to go, but would know that he would loose one of his blankies. If he really has to go, he wouldn't care about loosing it. Also, remind her during the bedtime routine, that it is the last time she can go, if she has to go again before bedtime, she will loose something. That should take care of it :) BTW, if they really went, not just a tinkle, I wouldn't take away the object--only take it away if she is stalling--like produces a few drops simply to say she went. KWIM?

3. lancetara

lancetara Member

I am going through the same thing with my kids. They are 2 1/2 yrs and also are nowhere near trained. I do offer them the potty while we are getting ready for bed. Sometimes they go and sometimes they don't. But once they are in their beds it is time for bed. So my suggestion would be to offer the potty while you are getting their teeth brushed and then when you are leaving just say night night and ignore her request for right now.

Good luck......all of the stalling tactics they come up with are not fun!

Amy

4. ruthjulia

ruthjulia Well-Known Member

i'm kind of dealing with the same thing - cameron uses it as a stalling technique if i go in to quiet them at night if they are too crazy.

i do let him go because of the mixed signals factor - but i like the idea of taking something away if he doesn't really go.

and - you might want to think about not giving the sippy of milk before bed - or move it earlier in the routine?

5. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Mine are the king and queen of the Gotta Go Potty Stall Tactic. It is incredibly irritating, but I just let them go because the half hour tantrum that ensues when I say no is sooooo not worth it. If I say yes, then they get up, go, and get right back into bed. I am a firm proponent of the "pick your battles" philosophy. This is not a battle I really care about fighting over. So they get up, go, and we are done with it -- even if it is just a few tinkles or pebbles!

6. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

I would probably move the potty time to right before bed. If they are getting a sippy of milk after they go potty, then she might geniunely have to go. We were big on the sippy of millk before bed, but have recently cut it out. I only give it to them if they ate absolutely nothing at dinner or really, really want it.
    We're not PT'ing yet, but I'm sure they will pull this as a stalling tactic too. Ainsley sometimes says she pooped to get me to come back in, and then will want me to change her diaper even though she's fine.

7. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Yes, we limit liquids, go potty before getting into bed, and they STILL claim they need to go at least twice after they are in bed. The first time I let them go and typically the second time I say no. Like I said though, if they are going to throw a tantrum that lasts at LEAST 30 min, then I would rather them just take the 5 min to go potty.

8. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twoin2005 @ Feb 12 2008, 05:14 AM) [snapback]617341[/snapback]
    I just let them go because the half hour tantrum that ensues when I say no is sooooo not worth it. If I say yes, then they get up, go, and get right back into bed. I am a firm proponent of the "pick your battles" philosophy. This is not a battle I really care about fighting over. So they get up, go, and we are done with it -- even if it is just a few tinkles or pebbles!

I'd feel that way too, except that the one time I did this, Amy went potty with perfect happiness, and then resumed her tantrum as soon as she was back in bed. :blink:

It's just such a hurdle getting them INTO their PJs and sleep sacks, I hate to undo it all to let them go potty again. But I guess there's no way around it. Either we move the PJs to immediately before toothbrushing (which I hate to do, because it's so nice to get that all over with before cuddling up with stories and milk), or we let them go potty after they're already dressed for bed. Given the choice, I'd rather do the latter.

I guess maybe at least we could save sleep sacks till the very last minute...?