Possibly Thrush?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by gina_leigh, Oct 7, 2014.

1. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

So for a couple of weeks, my right nipple has been sore and cracked a little. (Chris has called it my third nipple because it is red just above my actual nipple.)
    I just thought it was Caleb teething and have been putting Lanolin on it. I feel like the Lanolin helps when I remember to put it on there. It got much better for a few days, but I don't think it completely went away. 

My left nipple was fine. 

But then yesterday, I noticed a very small crack on my left nipple. It hasn't started really bothering me other than just when he latches on. But I put some nipple cream on there this morning just in case. My right side is worse again. The right side does itch a little from time to time. 

I did a little reading on Kellymom and (I think) Leaky Boob and both websites made me question if it could be thrush. I checked the baby's mouth and I don't see any white spots except one white spot on his bottom gum that I thought (think?) was a new tooth coming in. He did have his two bottom teeth come in. 

Neither of us have taken any antibiotics, so I'm not sure how we'd get thrush at this point. 

It could also be his starting solids (irritation from food residue left in his mouth) or my changing hormones due to a period coming. (Or possibly pregnancy, but we're just going to ignore that for now. Nope. My mental health can't take that option!! LOL)

So, what are y'all's thoughts? I'm going to call my OB/GYN when the nurses line opens to see what they think, too, but wanted to get y'all's thoughts. 

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Thrush is a tricky one because there's a list of "common" symptoms and then an even longer list of symptoms that normally don't mean thrush unless they do. It's my understanding that the only definitive way to diagnose it as thrush is to treat it as thrush - if it goes away, it's thrush, if it doesn't, it's something else. Totally not helpful I know.

My first thought when you said teething and cracks was a possible change in his latch because of the teeth coming in and that that's damaging your nipples? Let us know what your OB/GYN says.

3. gina_leigh

I goofed around and waited too late to call yesterday. It's still really on the one side, so don't know. It's not bothering me right now at all, unless he eats from that side. But it looks horrid today. Very red and chapped.  I did put a call in to the nurse a little while ago, but haven't gotten a call back. I'll keep you posted.

4. gina_leigh

The nurse finally called back and she doesn't think it's thrush, so she wants me to come in and let them look at it in the morning. Now I fee silly because I really didn't think that's what it was. I think now it just must be his latch changing since he has those bottom teeth and it's dry and cracked and chapped. Now I'm debating cancelling my appt for in the morning. I don't know. 

5. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Go and get it checked. You should have some peace afterwards.

6. miss_bossy18

7. gina_leigh

So, I did go in this morning and there's really no way to say for sure if it's thrush, but the doctor said it does look like a yeast rash. She's calling in a prescription of some meds to take and she said the baby will get enough of it in my milk that it'll clear up any in him too. 

I'm glad I ended up going after all! And we chatted some about breastfeeding/extended breastfeeding and the process I can go through to donate some of my frozen stash. (She's super super supportive of breastfeeding and all things related. I love her so much!) It was a good visit overall and I'm looking forward to not having nipple pain soon!

8. miss_bossy18

Glad to hear you had a good appointment!

I love breastfeeding toddlers - it comes with some new challenges but the rewards are pretty great too. Emmett's turning 3 at the end of November and is still breastfeeding. He's so funny - he says goodnight to his "na"s before bed now since we night weaned a few months ago. :D