portable crib vs packNplay

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by twinnerbee, Apr 4, 2009.

1. twinnerbee

twinnerbee Well-Known Member

Our LOs aren't fond of pNps for sleeping, but when we travel, there's not much choice. DH started talking about getting portable cribs, but to me, it seems like a waste of $ when the matress looks just as thin. Anyone have portable cribs? Do the babies like them? I have two pNps that were hand me downs and i was happy not to spend the $ on them. We barely used them so far so I hate to buy something else to use only a few times. Any advice??

2. becky5

becky5 Guest

I had one, but it stayed put. I can't imagine lugging that thing(or things) around anywhere? I would stick with the PnP's. Or, I wonder if the mattress of a portable crib would fit in the bottom of a PnP? Hmmmm.

3. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

we use peapod travel beds & our girls seem to really like them. what i like about them is that they'll be able to use them for years (for camping, travelling, visiting, whatever) because there's no weight restriction - we'll just have to stop when they're too tall (which, for my girls, probably won't happen until they're 10 ;) ). it was worth the investment for us.

4. Shadyfeline

Shadyfeline Well-Known Member

We had a port-a-crib and mine would not sleep in it they liked PNP's though. I would not spend the money, they are not that easy to travel with and heavy to lug around. My port-a-crib sat in our bedroom and was never used. I would look into the travel pod that the previous poster said or just continue using the pnp they will get used to it. Do they sleep with a lovey/bear and certain blanket? I always bring that stuff with us when on vaca.

5. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

Have you gotten the separate mattress for the pnp? I bought ours at BRU and they were around $20 - 25 (I think, it has been awhile). The mattresses are about 1" thick and work really well for us. They aren't as good as a crib mattress, but better than the pad that comes with a pnp. We travel a lot and that mattress enables my kids to get a pretty good nights sleep when we are away from home.

6. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

QUOTE(KJS @ Apr 5 2009, 09:10 AM) [snapback]1259705[/snapback]
    Have you gotten the separate mattress for the pnp? I bought ours at BRU and they were around $20 - 25 (I think, it has been awhile). The mattresses are about 1" thick and work really well for us. They aren't as good as a crib mattress, but better than the pad that comes with a pnp. We travel a lot and that mattress enables my kids to get a pretty good nights sleep when we are away from home.

That's what I was going to say! They also sell mattress pads for pnp size mattress's. If you want to buy a reg. mattress for a pnp you can look at places that sell mini cribs (it's the same size as a pnp).

7. twinnerbee

twinnerbee Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great ideas! I love those pea pod things - they are adorable! I may look for those or a better mattress for the PnPs...both way better options than that bulky looking portacrib!! You ladies are awesome!! Anyone else use the pea pod? If they are comfortable, they look so convenient!