Poor little things have hiccups!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by 2xjoy, Mar 24, 2010.

1. 2xjoy

2xjoy Well-Known Member

My little darlings have had the hiccups on and off for weeks now, but it seems to be happening more and more frequently.
    It seems like one or the other has always got them.
    I know this is a normal thing as they learnto swallow and breath before birth, but am starting to get concerned in some ways.

Can this put stress on their hearts? At my last doc ap. baby B's heart rate was a little high and so that made me wonder if there was any conection. I also seem to have a lot more 'tightenings' and wondered if there was a connection with this also?

2. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

I have never heard of Hiccups being connected to fetal heart rates or contractions. You are 36 weeks along, based on your ticker, so I would imagine that the contractions are going to start to pick up from here on out. As far as I understand it, Hiccups are perfectly normal and benign. Try not to worry Momma.

3. citizenpelikan

citizenpelikan Well-Known Member

HIccups are actually a good thing. They're an indicator of babies exercising their lungs and diaphragm thus their breathing. You should be relieved they're hiccuping, not worried.

4. DblStuffOreo

DblStuffOreo Well-Known Member

My doc told me hiccups are a sign that their central nervous system is developing and, thus, it is a good sign of growth.

5. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Towards the end mine got the hiccups ALL THE TIME. I'd had the steroid shots at 30 weeks and by the time they were born at 37w 5d, they had hiccups every day sometimes multiple times. It's good, as a pp said, though, because they had no trouble breathing from the get-go & needed no NICU time. Rest easy- they are doing what they are supposed to be doing. Remember that once they're born, you don't want them taking a break from breathing; you want them to do it 'right' consistently. They have to practice to be able to do it.

6. Sunny

Sunny Well-Known Member

My singleton had hiccups CONSTANTLY. I mean seriously all. the. time. It was so sweet, but eventually drove me up the wall, it would keep me up at night. I agree that it's a good sign for the bebes, not a strain. They are developing and growing! I wondered if it had something to do with the fact that my son was 9 lbs 14 oz... he certainly did a lot of growing in the womb. :laughing:

7. TwinLove

TwinLove Well-Known Member

My two had the hiccups alot too and I asked my doctor about it. They assured me it was nothing to worry about and a good thing... so ENJOY!! :lol:

8. christy.fisher

christy.fisher Well-Known Member

Hiccups are a good thing. :) And the hiccups don't stop when they're born. Mine are almost 3 months and they still get them a lot. Of all the things to worry about during your pregnancy, this is NOT one of them. Try to put this out of your mind and just enjoy it. I loved feeling their hiccups and there wasn't much about pregnancy that I enjoyed in general.

9. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Mine, too. It was annoying, eventually. Like the other posts, they also had them after the birth for a couple of months, consistently.

10. 2xjoy

2xjoy Well-Known Member

Thanks for replies!
    One of my 2 singletons also had hiccups alot in utero and although I know that its normal, its hard not to worry about every little thing now that theres 2 instead of 1!
    They are good weights. Last scan indicated that 1 was approx 3.5kg and the other was a bit over 3kg I think. I have 2 weeks until my c/s and wondering how much more they can grow!