poor little crawling knees

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by twinnerbee, Apr 27, 2009.

1. twinnerbee

twinnerbee Well-Known Member

I feel so bad for DD - her little knees are getting so red from crawling all over on the carpet with just a onesies or shorts on. The weather has been too warm to put them in long pants and even baby legs are too warm. She doesn't seem to be in pain from it...yet anyway. I put lotion on them before I lay her down for a nap. Do you do anything for your babies' knees in warm weather? I've seen baby knee pads, but that seems really really silly. Do I just keep lathering on the lotion whenever she's not on all fours?

2. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

I almost posted this in the 2nd Year forum - my 15 month olds are still mainly crawling (one takes steps here and there, but prefers crawling) and their knees are looking pretty beat-up. :( I'd love to hear what others have done.

3. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You can get some light weight socks from Target (knee length works best) and cut off the feet and use those as babylegs.

4. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

QUOTE(becasquared @ Apr 27 2009, 08:31 AM) [snapback]1289778[/snapback]
    You can get some light weight socks from Target (knee length works best) and cut off the feet and use those as babylegs.

Oh, good idea! Thanks! :)

5. twinnerbee

twinnerbee Well-Known Member

QUOTE(becasquared @ Apr 27 2009, 09:31 AM) [snapback]1289778[/snapback]

That is a good idea! Did you do that? I know sometimes I overreact, so I wondered if I should even do anything or if their skin will just sort of toughen up on its own? I can't imagine my mom put knee pads on me! I don't want her to get hurt, but I also don't want to bubble wrap the world, KWIM? I guess I want to know what most moms do...

6. june07girl

june07girl Well-Known Member

Can I just say that I am so jealous that you have heat. It was snowing here yesterday. :( I am still worrying about hats and mitts when we go out. :)

7. becasquared

QUOTE(mamabee718 @ Apr 27 2009, 09:44 AM) [snapback]1289801[/snapback]
    That is a good idea! Did you do that? I know sometimes I overreact, so I wondered if I should even do anything or if their skin will just sort of toughen up on its own? I can't imagine my mom put knee pads on me! I don't want her to get hurt, but I also don't want to bubble wrap the world, KWIM? I guess I want to know what most moms do...

I did because I couldn't fathom spending that much money on what appears to be a pair of legwarmers from 1987.

8. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(becasquared @ Apr 27 2009, 09:31 AM) [snapback]1289778[/snapback]

My boys are not even close to crawling but I am gonna write down this tip for when it happens. Great idea!

9. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

That is a great tip! I am also mentally filing this away for when the time comes ...

10. Halseyse

Halseyse Well-Known Member

That sounds like a Wonderful Idea! I might have to do that for my girls! I feel bad for their knees as well since they're crawling all over the place now.

Thanks for posting this!

11. becasquared

You're welcome everyone! :) Glad to share my cheapness!

12. Lizzybo

Lizzybo Well-Known Member

I like the sock idea.

From time to time a website Babysnazz sells Babylegs for about $5-7. That's when I stock up. :)

13. Queen of Carrots

Queen of Carrots Well-Known Member

I'll be the dissenter and say I just let 'em toughen up. I think any child who isn't liberally covered with calluses, bruises, and scabs isn't having enough fun. :rolleyes:

14. maurahursh

maurahursh Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Queen of Carrots @ Apr 27 2009, 01:27 PM) [snapback]1290193[/snapback]
    I'll be the dissenter and say I just let 'em toughen up. I think any child who isn't liberally covered with calluses, bruises, and scabs isn't having enough fun. :rolleyes:

I am w/ you. I am going to let them tough it out. If it gets ridiculous, then I will use the sock idea. GREAT idea btw!

15. sjohnson813

sjohnson813 Well-Known Member

My boys also have rough, red knees. However, all the crawling kids in daycare have it and it doesn't seem to bother any of them. I just put lotion on them twice a day. If they get too bad I might try the sock idea.

16. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

I was just at target yesterday and they had these leg warmer type dealos on clearance that were made for babies that crawl. they were really cute and came in all different types of colors and patterns. i think they were $4.

17. we make our own baby legs legwarmers too. target had woman's knee high socks on clearance 3 pr for $4. they always have a color that my ds could wear too - olive green, gray, blue.