Poop

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by sharerc, Aug 2, 2009.

1. sharerc

sharerc Well-Known Member

I rarely go in the nursery after the girls have gone to bed and they always sleep with the door closed. Well last night I went in to check on them. I was watching some show on multiples and decided I wanted to see the girls. Totally random. But when I went in, I got hit with the smell of sh%t upon entering. I contemplated determining which child was poopy and decided not to mess with it. They aren't the type to get rashes and they were happy to be asleep.

So what do you do in this situation? Do you wake them and change the poop or let them sleep? I was worried about waking one and then the other waking up. They are still sleeping now (going on 13 hours). I feel bad that one is poopy and will wake them in a few minutes.

Another poop related question, why are my girls ALWAYS poopy when they wake up from going to bed or a nap? I'm talking 90% of the the time they are both poopy!

2. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I'd probably let them sleep... if you wake them up it's a nightmare to get them back to sleep :(

Mine usually only poop in between naps so I'm lucky... might be because of your schedule?

3. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

If I go in anytime before I go to bed and they poop, I change it. I don't do this for naps, but I worry about diaper rash if it sits there all night.

My boys do tend to have a predictable poop pattern, but it's different. They usually poop after meals--always after breakfast and/or morning milk. Then, again after dinner of evening milk.

4. Andi German

Andi German Well-Known Member

I wouldn't wake mine if they pooped - getting them back to sleep versus possible nappy rash in the morning - possible nappy rash always wins! Mine also have predictable poop patterns - usually after meals. I guess yours just like to poop when they sleep!

5. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I always took a quick look, and if it looked as though their bottom was really irritated by it (you know there are just some poops that burn the crap out of them) then I would change them, but if it looked like it was no big deal, I let them sleep.

6. abrinka

abrinka Well-Known Member

If this happens when they nap, I would not worry, but since we are talking at least 10 hours of night sleep, personally, I would feel uncomfortable knowing that my child sleep with poop is his diaper.would I like to sleep with poop in my PJs? ;)

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

If it were naptime I would let it go. Unfortunately I don't have that option because my kids let me know when they pooped. DS will scream loudly to be changed when he poops. At nightime, if I smelled it, I would definitely change them only because of the fear of diaper rash, especially for DD who is prone to diaper rash.

8. Halseyse

Halseyse Well-Known Member

I always check for poopy before I put them down for sleep [nap or bedtime]. If they had poopy and it was during naptime I wouldn't bother them, but if it was night time, I'd definitely wake them.. 11+ hrs with poop touching your skin?! That's gotta be uncomfortable and possibly result in a bad diaper rash.

I hope her bum was fine when she woke today :)

9. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

This has only happened once and I decided to wake Josh up and change him. He does get rashes and the thought of him sleeping for another 10+ hours in poop made me feel bad. He went right back to sleep without a peep. Jake woke up as well but went right back to sleep. When I changed his diaper I did not say anything to him so he would not think it was morning.

10. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

my girls are prone to very very bad diaper rash when they sit in poopy diapers, so in our case i would definitely have to change them. thankfully, my girls usually poop first thing in the morning & then usually again once in the evening. the only time they poop over night is when they're not feeling well or sometimes before a tooth comes in. i would say that if it isn't bothering your LOs & they don't seem to get a bad rash from it, then let them sleep. :)

11. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

This has only happened a handful of times and the pooper always wakes up at some point in the night. If I walked in and smelled it (this has never happened- amazing), I don't know that I'd change them. BUT I slather them with diaper cream every night before bed so they'd be protected from getting a rash.

12. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

Mine often wake up poopy and went through a phase when they would ALWAYS be poopy upon waking. I don't typically change it, but we've only had a few diaper rashes in their whole lives, and most were related to food allergies, so I don't feel too bad. If they sleep well, wake happy, and don't wake with a rash, what's the harm?

13. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

usually ours poop after getting up or after meals... but sometimes I've noticed when I feed them too close to nap or bedtime that they'll poop and then usually my dd will let us know ... for naps it seems that if they are still babbling (not screaming), after about 15-20 min. they are poopy... so I go change them and usually then they'll go to sleep.

for night time, usually we don't have the issues, but last night my dd was very fussy and when we went to check on her she'd had a bad poopy... so we changed her and her clothes and she did go back to sleep... we are pretty lucky that they are usually tired and will go back to sleep.

all I can suggest is that maybe have mealtime further from when they go down for naps/night time...

we went through a spell where one or the other would poop in the bathtub... thankfully that seems to have subsided, but I think that was a timing issue too...

14. sharerc

sharerc Well-Known Member

Well they slept 13 hours and Mallory was the poopy one. The smell was gone when I went in there so I thought maybe they had just farted or something. But no, she was poopy. And her bum was not red at all. I think from here on out, I won't go in to check on them so I don't feel bad about possibly leaving them in poop all night. :p

15. jenanne

jenanne Well-Known Member

I'm glad the little bootie was okay. Mine get bad rashes too but rarely does the poop happen before I go to check on them. We always put vaseline on their bottoms before bed to try to minimize rashes that we can't prevent.