poop question

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by newtothis, Jun 12, 2012.

1. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

i seriously can't remember the last time my LO had a formed/solid poop. he was on soy formula for the 1st year and then rice milk due to chronic colds/ear infections as per the pedi.
    he drinks milk, eats yogurt, etc. and his poop is ALWAYS runny or soft and I'm sorry - but smells god-awful.

could this be a food allergy/intolerance?
    i was thinking it might be the dairy?

2. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

Sounds exactly like my one DS who is 4 1/2 now. I brought him to an allergist and was told unless it's a true allergy, she could not test him. :aggressive: She suggested an elimination diet to see if we could pinpoint what was causing his problems.

Instead, I started him (and his brother) on probiotics and he's had normal poops now for over a year now. :woohoo: Theseare the type I give them and I swear they have worked wonders. Except for a cold or two, they have not been sick since starting them. Prior to that, they were on antibiotics 3 out of 4 months earlier last year.

That how it was with him. He would have up to 5 or 6 BM a day and they smelled horrible. He now has 1 or 2 a day and they are almost always normal. You have no idea how happy I was the first time he had a normal BM.

I do find yogurt will send him spiraling down so I make it a point not to have it in the house because he would eat it all day long.

I also give him thesedaily which helps on days I do give him cheese or milk.

3. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

Our son is allergic to milk, butter, cheese, and basically anything milk based so he is a soy boy. He is the stinkiest little 4-year old around and very gassy. Yet he is the first to announce when he thinks someone else has "tooted". Our ped said it is the way his body processes the soy.

4. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

hmmm
    not sure what to do

those are the probiotics i give my kids on a daily basis, actually
    :)

5. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

Has he been on antibiotics for any length of time? That is what really messed up my DS. I was also told by someone who works at the health food store where I purchase the Buddy Bears that you should change the type/strain of probiotics every season. The reason being is that your body get used to those bacteria and it's good to introduce new ones.

Maybe try a new strain and see if that helps. :unknw: