Poop question

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Bubba_mommy, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Bubba_mommy

Bubba_mommy Active Member

My twins are 4 months old. They still poop 5-6 times a day. I think they should be pooping less often by now. They only drink breast milk (through nursing and bottles with expressed breast milk). Any 4 month old twins pooping like this?
    I read somewhere that producing milk for 2 babies makes breast milk thinner (or less fat?). Could that be the reason why they still pooping this often?

2. Eribour

Eribour Well-Known Member

My 14 month old poops on average 3x a day. For the first 9 months it averaged 4x. She was a formula baby. Now as for my two month old twins, DS goes once a day maybe twice. DD goes 3x but it is hard and small. I think some babies just tend to go more than others. Kind of like adults: some go more than others.

3. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Mine have ebm and solid. The boy poops 2x/day. The girl poops 2-3x/day.I was worried at first but its fine. If you're worried, call doctor and ask.

4. ladypotter

ladypotter Well-Known Member

My girls drink formula only and poop at least 2-3 times a day right now at nearly 4 months. Sometimes more, but rarely ever less.

5. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I say that sounds normal to me. I think every baby is different, and one day it might be three times, another day maybe two. I remember changing many poop filled diapers for quite some time on a daily basis!

And don't breastfed baby poop more? I can't remember, but I thought so. Maybe?

6. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

The general pattern with breastfed babies is pooping a lot in the beginning and then tapering off in the first few months. That said, for some babies that might be tapering from 8 bowel movements down to 4, and for others it might mean going for days at a time without pooping. I know with my kids Eli pooped twice a day around that age, Mark pooped every other day, and my singleton is about to turn 5 months and she's pooping every 2-3 days right now. I think she took longer to slow down her poops, and I know it's only been in the past few weeks that she's gone to every few days.

7. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Your body will produce enough fat for both babes, so there's no worries there at all. I believe breast milk has a natural laxative effect, so I wouldn't be surprised if breastfed babies pooped more. If the poop is looking normal, i.e. not watery, weird colour, foul smell, then I think it's probably fine. A good question to ask at their next checkup though!

8. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

My boys are formula fed, but at that age, they were mostly pooping once a day. However, even now they will still have days where they poop 3-4 times.