poll for those of you who gave birth at about 36 weeks

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by kuchar, Feb 7, 2007.

1. kuchar

kuchar Well-Known Member

I'm going in for my scheduled c-section Tuesday... only 6 more days! I will be 36 weeks. I'm very curious to see how things went for other twin moms who delivered at this time... I was feeling a little optimistic, assuming all would go fine this far along, but a nurse scared me with all of the issues that could still come up this early.

Thank you for your responses!

Helen

2. kuchar

kuchar Well-Known Member

I'm going in for my scheduled c-section Tuesday... only 6 more days! I will be 36 weeks. I'm very curious to see how things went for other twin moms who delivered at this time... I was feeling a little optimistic, assuming all would go fine this far along, but a nurse scared me with all of the issues that could still come up this early.

Thank you for your responses!

Helen

3. cajuntwinmom

cajuntwinmom Well-Known Member

Mine scheduled a c-section at 35w5days. I was 2 days shy of 36 weeks. Anyway, mine went to the NICU first and spent a day, then were moved to Special care as growers and feeders...Neither had any breathing supplements or anything like that. DS came home with me 4 days later and DD had to stay another 4 or so days. She would fall asleep in the middle of her 25cc feedings and have to be gavaged. She could only come home after she had 3 "Well"rated feedings in one day.

So she spent one week and a day in the special care. Although, I did have the steroid shots at 32w5d for lung maturation because of a small bout of preterm labor.

Mine was schedule because I was 1 cm dialated at 35 weeks, and baby A's bag was starting to bulge. DS was 5 lbs 10 oz and DD was 4 lbs 12 oz.

Although, 2 of the ladies in my Marvelous Multiples class had theirs the same time as me (35w 5 or 6d) and they came home with them, no NICU, no special care.

Congrats!

4. Stephanie M

Stephanie M Well-Known Member

Mine were born at 35 weeks exactly. My DS was in the NICU for 8 days and my DD was in and out for 7 days. I stayed at the hospital the entire time. They let me stay in a family room . . . it was the size of a closet and did not have a bathroom. I slept on a futon couch; however, I just couldn't leave my babies there. I must admit that since they really weren't at any major risks I wish I would have come home and gotten some good nights of sleep. Best of luck to you. Don't let your emotions get the best of you!

5. bdm

bdm Member

Hi Helen,

I had a scheduled induction (which eventually turned into a c-section) when I was 36 weeks and 1 day.

My children spent no time in NICU and came home with me after 4 days.

HTH

bdm

6. toastee

toastee Active Member

I had the same due date as you, and had the girls at 36 weeks (Feb 15th) Baby B spent some time in the special care nursery, but neither needed NICU time. They were both over 5lbs and came home with me 5 days later.

Good luck! [​IMG]

Jen

7. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

I had my guys in the 36th week. James came home with me, Sean stayed in the NICU for 6 days. Sean wouldn't have been in the NICU if I'd had a c/s right away. His issues were related to his rough birth experience, which shouldn't be a problem for you.

8. nanhancan

nanhancan Well-Known Member

My dd1 was born 36W0D- totally heathly- no NICU
    Twins 36W5D w/ 2 rounds of steriod shots for PTL- no NICU
    Good luck!

9. LLA

LLA Well-Known Member

My boys were born at 36weeks 4 days and had no problems and came home with me. They were 6lbs 12oz and 5lbs 8oz. I did not have a steroid shot.

Good luck.

10. WEME

WEME Well-Known Member

I was induced (dialated 4 cm) at 35 weeks 6 days and delivered after midnight so technically was 36 weeks even! My girls were perfectly healthy with NO NICU time at all and both came home with me. They have really not suffered from any medical problems in the last 23 months (knock on wood) other than the stupid cold they have right now!

I guess everybody is different though as I know a girl who just delivered twin girls (same hospital as me) and her girls weighed more than mine and everything and spent 2 weeks in NICU. So, I guess it just depends.

I'm sure everything will go fine. Good luck! I'm sure you are very excited.

11. R Derby

R Derby Well-Known Member

I voted spent some time in the NICU, but came home with me, but my situation was a bit different. The boys were born in France and although they spent 8 days in the NICU, 12 days total in the hospital, I was able to stay with them. good luck, hope all goes well!

12. runnergirl

runnergirl Well-Known Member

I guess my signature say it all...My twins were born at 36 weeks, 5 days and Jackson (twin A) had no NICU time and came home with us, Nicholas (twin B) spent 8 days in the NICU due to slightly immature lungs. I had a scheduled c/s, although was contracting regularly and was dilated when I arrived at the hospital and was put on the monitor, so the babies were coming anyway!

13. Cindy123

Cindy123 Well-Known Member

We had a scheduled induction at 36 + 3 which ended up being a c-section. No NICU time at all, they weighed 5 lbs. 7 oz. each. Good luck!

14. Kateyes2022

Kateyes2022 Well-Known Member

I delivered the twins at 35 weeks 3 days. Jackson came home with me and Hannah spent ten days in the NICU. Making it to 36 weeks is great and you should be very proud. Good luck and I look forward to hearing your birth story!

15. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My boy spent time in the NICU (about 11-12 days) - but Becca was with me starting in recovery. She came home w/us on the 3rd day.

I think Jake would have come home sooner if a few things had been done differently. Also, he almost came home around the one week mark, but then he had an oxygen desaturation and the protocol was to go 3 days or something w/out another one.

Honestly, it was kind of nice to just have one to deal with as a first time parent - but the going back and forth to the hospital while recovering from the c-section was not so fun.

Miriam

16. pam2baby

pam2baby Well-Known Member

The girls were born right at 36 weeks and had to spend a couple weeks in nicu, but some of it had to do with TTTS, not so much that they were a month preemie- however they did have a sucking issue & had to be tube-fed for around a week or so.
    Other than that all was good. There were another set born a day later and those 2 were 36 weeks also and had no problems at all so ya never know. I'm sure it will all be fine! take lots of pictures & video, we watch ours all the time, it's such an amazing experience~ enjoy!! P [​IMG]

Drew Dakota 5'4 & Shae Leighanne 4'13 lbs

17. Eyler07

Eyler07 Well-Known Member

ours were born at 36 weeks on the dot. I had a scheduled c-section for 37 weeks but they wanted to come earlier. Neither spend time in the NICU and went home with me three days later. No steroid shots or anything and I was shopping the day before so no bedrest. Good Luck!

18. kma13

kma13 Well-Known Member

36 weeks, Liam came home with me (5 days after a c-section). Joss was in Speical care for 10 days.

19. kuchar

kuchar Well-Known Member

Thank you for your responses! It is nice to see most of the babies came home with mom! I forgot to mention at my last u/s I was 35 weeks 1 day and the babies measured 6lbs 15oz and 7lbs 3oz, so if they are accurate at all, their size shouldn't be an issue. In the bio-physicals, they have been doing their breathing movements for several weeks now, so hopefully they are all ready to come out!
    Helen

20. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

mine were born at 36w exactly with no NICU time...

oh and keep in mind that the u/s can be off by a pound or more...at my 34 week level II, DD was measuring 4.5 lbs and DS was 5.5...2 weeks later they were born at 3.5 and 4.5 and they came home with me that tiny because they were perfectly healthy!!

good luck!

21. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Only one of mine spent 11 days in the NICU. I had 2 due date buddies that went before me and neither of them had NICU time! It's really just the babies! If you can push it back a little, it might be worth it! A day or two could make a big difference!

22. monie rose

monie rose Well-Known Member

I delivered them vaginally and they had no problems other then Eli not being able to keep his temp up. But he did eventually get it up there and keep it. None of them needed oxygen or anything. I was induced 4/6 and took both home 4/8. They have been very healthy too, except for colds and a bought with thrush.

Good luck on the c-sec and hope to see a post soon about how it went!

23. yellow77

yellow77 Well-Known Member

i delivered at 36 weeks, 1 day. babies were 6 lbs 3 oz and 7 lbs even. the 7 lb baby was in the NICU for 10 days with premature lung issues. we were surprised he had such a hard time.
    good luck to you!

24. MSB1203

MSB1203 Well-Known Member

My girls were born at 35w 6d, no NICU time. Maddie was 7lbs 4oz and Gracie was 6lbs 4oz. They were born on a Friday afternoon, and the following Sunday night when the doctor came in to check on me, I asked him would the babies be ready to go home in the Morning, and he said and I quote, "Are the babies ready? We are waiting on you, not them!" That made my day [​IMG]

25. Mattsgal

Mattsgal Well-Known Member

I was scheduled for a c section at 37 weeks, but the rascals decided to come earlier on their own. They came at 36 weeks and 1 day. The only issue we had was they were nervous about the amount of weight they were losing, and we stayed in the hospital one extra day as a result. They were always with us, and did really well. My DD was 4lbs 12 oz and my DS was 5lb 12oz. They will be fine...good luck!!

26. 2munchkins

2munchkins New Member

My boys were delivered by emergency c-section at 36 weeks. I had high blood pressure and protein levels were way up. They both had to stay in NICU for 15 days. They were there to develop feeding and sucking skills. Once they had mastered eating most feedings without the feeding tube they were free to go home. I must admit it was very hard to leave them there when I got to go home. But now I look back and realize that it was not bad at all.
    Both my boys came home and were on a schedule together, they ate and slept at the same time. That has made it much easier to keep them regulated! I had time to heal from the c-sec and get some much needed sleep! Since these were my first children, the nurses were great in offering support and help. I wouldn't change what happen to us at all!

27. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

Deliverd vaginally at 36 weeks 1 day. One was 5lbs. 14 oz. and one was 5lbs. 9oz. They were born at 9:30 p.m. on a Thursday and we were at home by noon on that Saturday! [​IMG] No NICU or any issues at all to be honest.

Good luck!

28. geaemama

geaemama Well-Known Member

We had our girls at 36w3days. I voted stayed in NICU, but one came home right away - no NICU time while the other was in NICU for 8 days

angel

29. kristimom22

kristimom22 Well-Known Member

I was induced at 35w6d due to IUGR & high blood pressure. DS spent 14 days in NICU & DD spent 14 days in NICU & 2 days in Special Care Unit. Neither had any problems breathing (no steroids) but DS weighed 4lbs5oz & DD weighed 3lbs6oz so they just needed to grow & maintain their temps. He's now in the 45th percentile & she's in the 15th- both had quadrupled their birthweight by 4 months!

30. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Mine were closer to 37w (36w5d), but I don't think they would have been in the NICU a few days earlier either. Sarah did spend about 1 hr there on supplemental oxygen because she was a bit bluish, but I don't count that.

They came home with me after 5 days, but days 4 and 5 were for me (I had a rough recovery), not for them.

31. MARRIED5

MARRIED5 Member

HI I DELIVERED MY TWIN GIRLS AT 35WKS6DAYS VAGINALLY,WENT REALLY REALLY QUICK LIKE A LITTLE OVER 3 HOURS.AHMANI WEIGHED 4LBS1OZ.ASHANI WEIGHED 4LBS.15 1/2OZ.NEITHER ONE WENT TO NICU AT ALL,THEY BOTH WENT TO REGULAR NURSERY,THEY STAYED AN EXTRA 2 DAYS AFTER I HAD TO GO HOME THEY WOULDNT LET ME STAY EXTRA DUE TO INSURANCE REASONS,THAT WAS REALLY HARD.THE GIRLS STAYED EXTRA B/C THEY WANTED TO MAKE SURE THEY KEPT EATING GOOD AND ALSO AHMANI HAD A LITTLE TROUBLE KEEPING HER BODY TEMP UP BUT AFTER ABOUT 2 DAYS SHE WAS FINE,AND THEY HAVE BEEN DOING VERY WELL SINCE THEY ARE ABOUT TO TURN 6 MTHS OLD AND ON TASK AND HEALTHY,SO PRAY PRAY AND YOU'LL BE FINE AND THE BABIES WILL BE TO.GOOD LUCK!I'LL BE PRAYING FOR YOU.

32. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I went into labor at 35 weeks and 6 days. I was told one week before the girls came that They were way too small. We were in the operating room and the nurses and doctors were just waiting to take them to the NICU because of their anticipated size. Turned out they were just fine. Other than being able to regulate their body temp, we had no problems whatsoever! They went home with us three days later and have been doing great ever since.

33. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

I delivered at 35 w 2 days and we had no NICU and were home 2 days later.

34. 2girls2b

2girls2b Well-Known Member

My due date was March 19th and we had a c-section scheduled for March 1st, but we ended up having the girls on February 17th at 35 weeks 5 days due to pre-eclampsia. I went in for a non-stress test and they delivered the girls a couple of hours later due to my high BP, low platelets, elevated uric acid, and extreme lower extremity edema. The girls were great! They did not spend any time in the NICU and they came home with me. I was the only one that had any problems. The whole pregnancy I worried about them, but it was me that ended up needing extra care. [​IMG]

35. christi in atl

christi in atl Well-Known Member

I left the hospital on Sunday night. Alex came home on Wednesday and Sam the following Tuesday. They both had sucking issues so they weren't eating very well. Alex never went to NICU. They kept him in the regular nursery mainly b/c he got jaundice. Sam went to NICU b/c he had to have tube feedings. I just felt blessed that they didn't have anything major wrong with them. They are both happy and healthy boys! Good luck!!