Pneumonia and missing school

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Oneplus2more, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

Dr. Moms, help! What do you do when your child is well enough per school guidelines, but not really feeling right - and wanting to still stay home?

Last Thursday, Rachel came home from school not feeling well. She had a fever, and I kept her home. Her fever & hacking cough continued over the weekend, so I took her to the pedi on Monday. She has pneumonia & started antibiotics that night. Her fever is gone & her cough is better, but still there. I know she is tired, but she can't really describe "why" she thinks she needs to stay home. You know - fatigue, bodyache, headache, etc. She's had a tough time in school this year, I'm really on the fence if she isn't feeling well enough for a full school day or if she's milking it. How many days is typical to be out with pneumonia?

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I say let her milk it. I've found it's usually pretty obvious the day you've let them stay home one day too long. ;)

1 person likes this.
  3. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I would also let her stay home a bit longer. DS was younger when he had pneumonia, but he was out of pre-school for 3 weeks both times - he was just weak even after finishing the antibiotics and needed time to recover. That winter missing work for DH and I became a problem, our employers were not happy to put it mildly. Maybe she is well enough that the teachers can send home some assignments for her so going back is not too bad?

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would keep her home for the day and if you continue to be unsure after that, I'd call the doctor for their opinion.  I know I'd hate for my kids to miss a lot of school but if she's not feeling up to it, she's not going to get a lot out of her lessons. I hope she is feeling better soon.

5. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

I agree with the others.  I actually have had that experience twice this winter and made my sweet girl stay in bed for the day. She could look at books or watch a movie, but she had to lay in bed and rest.  Hope she feels 100% soon!

6. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

When I had radiation pneumonitis (similar symptoms to pneumonia) it was really debilitating. It took a lot longer to recover than I was expecting. I would let her stay home another day.

7. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Keep her home.  I can't tell you how many kids have come back "as soon as possible" after being sick, only to either get sent home, or back one day and out another couple.  She is better off recuperating at home than pushing her back too soon.  And even kids who don't love school, start to miss their friends when they are feeling better, so they get antsy to get back.  My dad was in the hospital for 2 weeks with pneumonia before thanksgiving, and he is still having effects from it.  Kids bounce back quicker, but I wouldn't push it. 

8. Oneplus2more

wow, I thought I was a total pushover, I guess I'm a meaner mom than I thought. haha It's so hard to tell with her, because she usually acts like nothing is wrong even when something is, for ex - even thought she had a high fever, was hacking away & not really eating - she didn't complain about how she felt all weekend & she inisisted she didn't need to go to the Dr on Monday. So, it seemed suspicious that it wasn't until I was ready to send her back that I started hearing about her not feeling right. ; )  I am going to keep her home today. Thanks, Ladies!!

9. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

How is she feeling now? Recovered?

10. Oneplus2more

She's almost all better. thanks for asking! Still a bit of a cough, but that's it. I ended up letting her stay home all week, and then we had a snow day on Monday. Yesterday was a loooong day for her - she hadn't been to school since the 15th. 

Now, H & N keep begging me to take their temperatures, desperately hoping to be sick.  :lol:

1 person likes this.