Pneumonia - again

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by FGMH, Feb 15, 2012.

1. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Both children have pneumonia. DS had a very bad case in December where we nearly ended up in hospital and this time DD started it over the weekend and is right in the middle of it and DS is worsening rapidly. Our pedi prescibed antibiotics and mucus expectorants and we are working on keeping the fever below 40 (Celsius, I think that is 104 F), lower if we can manage. They are both really sick, feeling miserable, crying from the pain and coughing and fever spikes, and I am worn out having gone more or less without sleep for the last 4 nights. DH and I are taking turns going in to work because they are too sick for anyone else to help and we both are super-busy in the office, so when they do both sleep off to the computer we go, not off to nap.

They were not preemies and are fully vaccinated, including pneumococcus bacteria. I am at a loss why we are dealing with this again. Probably something they picked up at daycare.

No questions here, just a vent I suppose. Although any tips on making this easier and preventing it in the future are welcome.

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

No suggestions, but I'm sorry you're having to deal with two very sick kids. :(

3. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

:hug: Meara had pneumonia in October and it was awful. I can't imagine having both kids down with it. Many hugs and healing thoughts.

4. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

:hug: I'm so sorry. I hope they feel better soon!

5. twinkler

twinkler Well-Known Member

Do you have Panadol in Germany? It's a [font="arial][size="2"]paracetamol based analgesic w[/size][/font]e use here for pain relief, it is especially helpful in bringing down fevers - everyone here hav it in their cupboards, especially the junior versions for the littlies.Just googled it, Benuron?

Do you think the water damage you're had recently might have something to do with it? It probably doesn't help with all the moisture in the air. Try a dehumidifier which collects moisture in the air. We use it in our bedroom and lounge area when we had water in our ceiling and it's amazing how much it fills up!

Has the pedi said anything about why they keep getting it and/or if there is anything to be done to prevent it?

6. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone. DD seems to be on the mend, at least her fever is coming down, DS is still very sick.

Yes, we use Benuron (paracetamol) for pain and fever relief, everyone with kids has it on hand; and we also have ibuprofen which I do not like using as much, it just does not seem to agree with my kids as much.

The water damage might have something to do with it, maybe because the dehumidifiers running to dry the house are making the air pretty unpleasant and possibly increasing the amount of germs being circulated in the house. Apart from that, I have another pedi appointment tomorrow and we will see if the kids are well enough that we can talk about prevention; last time they were both so sick and crying so loudly that we just covered the basics and I hurried them back home to bed.