Please help me choose between two Pack n Plays

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by SC_Amy, Dec 3, 2008.

1. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

OK, I am torn between the following two PnPs. I really like the first one (which I'd registered for)--the color and the features. But is the changing table feature (and the preferred color scheme ;)) really worth the extra $40?

Here's the one on my registry:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html?asin=...amp;bckreg=baby

And here's the more basic version:

http://www.target.com/Graco-Pack%E2%80%99n...amp;pf_rd_t=201

For a little more background, we'll have a Co-sleeper upstairs in our room, and a crib upstairs in the nursery. I imagine I'll spend a lot of time downstairs with the twins, though, rather than running up and down stairs throughout the day (esp since DH works from home half the time and his office is upstairs), so it would be nice to have a place on the first floor where the babies can nap ... and a convenient diaper-changing spot would be handy, too, so I don't always have to get down on the floor to change them. But could the bassinet part of the simpler model easily double as a changing table? (I'm 5'7" if that matters. :))

The nice thing is, I can use the $25 coupon I got thanks to the Target/Britax fiasco so the PnP will either cost me $75 or $35 (plus tax, S&H) ... but on the other hand, our budget's a little on the tight side so I don't want ot spend the extra $40 unless it really is worth it.

2. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

We registered for the Graco Pooh Pac 'n Play, but it was $79.99 at Target. So, that's a nice middle price. Maybe they have one in that price range there? Also, stuff goes on sale all the time there. Maybe that's the regular price. The changing table was great b/c we lived in the family room the first several weeks and it was a godsend. We have the nursery (and other changing table) on the second floor. HTH :).

3. Emily@Home

Emily@Home Well-Known Member

I don't think the changing table is worth the $$$. I change mine anywhere. . . the couch, bed, on the floor (blankets beneath them), my lap. . . it's inconvenient for me to always take them to the same spot. Besides, by a certain weight, age, the will outgrow it and you'll change them wherever but in that table insert (which just gets in the way of laying down twins too).

I have two P'n'p's. One used since 2001, and the other is a consignment bargain. In the early days, they daytime napped downstairs in one together, but we quit using them pretty much for naps because my house is loud and they nap upstairs in a quiet room in separate cribs/bassinettes so as not to bother one another. We use our P'n'p's for travelling though.

Also, I will say that the crib inserts in our models aren't "flat". When the babies are in it together, it dips in the middle and they are all over one another. Does that make sense? So we actually don't use that insert anymore either.

4. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

I really like having one with the changing table. It is a nice to have, but not a neccesity.

5. mamasky

mamasky Active Member

I have the cheaper one that you linked and I love it. I tried one with a changing table for a few weeks and I didn't like that it covered part of the pack and play. I like having the whole top open.

6. christie76

christie76 Well-Known Member

We used the changing table on the pack n' play all the time downstairs. We hardly ever use the changing table upstairs. I kind of wish I didn't buy it. I ended up giving the pack n' play with the changer to my mom for when they stay at her house and bought a used changing table off of craigslist. It takes up less space, which is an issue in our house. The girls lived in the bassinet portion for quite a while downstairs. We got our money's worth out of that thing. Our changer folded up out of the way, for when the girls were in the bassinet.

7. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Emily@Home @ Dec 3 2008, 06:32 PM) [snapback]1096171[/snapback]
    Also, I will say that the crib inserts in our models aren't "flat". When the babies are in it together, it dips in the middle and they are all over one another. Does that make sense? So we actually don't use that insert anymore either.

Yikes! Do you mean the bassinet part? Or the bottom level? Did it stay "flat" until the babies reached the combined weight limit of 15 lbs? Or did it do that from the beginning?

8. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(SweetGirl @ Dec 3 2008, 06:31 PM) [snapback]1096169[/snapback]
    We registered for the Graco Pooh Pac 'n Play, but it was $79.99 at Target. So, that's a nice middle price. Maybe they have one in that price range there? Also, stuff goes on sale all the time there. Maybe that's the regular price. The changing table was great b/c we lived in the family room the first several weeks and it was a godsend. We have the nursery (and other changing table) on the second floor. HTH :).

I looked but they don't seem to have anything in between the $60 version and the $100 version. Walmart does have one similar to the $100 version for $90, but since I have the $25 off coupon at Target, that would be cheaper for me than Walmart's price.

9. hannahshope

hannahshope Well-Known Member

its definately worth the extra $40. we also live in our family room and i have my pack n play there. we use the changing table multiple times a day....

10. ca2pa2005

ca2pa2005 Well-Known Member

I used my changing table all the time for the first few months. We practically lived in our family room the first month or two and used the changing table all the time. Have you thought about looking at Craigslist for gently used one?

11. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I loved the changing spot on our pack n play! :)

12. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We love the changing table attachment. It's not that it's the best changing table in the world (though it's nice to have the compartments for creams & things right there), but our house is really small and it's nice to have the PNP and the changing table taking up the same floor space, rather than having two different things. We are still using it as our primary changing table even though my twins are 3.

I don't think the bassinet part would make a good changing table. For one thing you won't be using the bassinet after your kids are a few months old. Also, it's too low -- the changing table attachment is just at the right height for me, and I'm 5'4". I say go for it -- it's a big improvement in quality of life for $40.

13. june07girl

june07girl Well-Known Member

I loved having the change table on the pack n play. I had a c-section and it was nice to stand and change the babies. We used it for about 3.5months. Now I just change them on the floor!

14. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

I think it's worth it. Think how many diapers you're going to be changing ;) ...also, you're going to have this in your home for several years - you want to like it.

15. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

The changing table saved my back many a day. Well worth the extra money, IMO.

16. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(ca2pa2005 @ Dec 3 2008, 09:16 PM) [snapback]1096417[/snapback]
    I used my changing table all the time for the first few months. We practically lived in our family room the first month or two and used the changing table all the time. Have you thought about looking at Craigslist for gently used one?

Yep, I've been checking craigslist for several things for a while but no luck yet. There have been a few PnPs but not the right type, or they were old and nasty-looking or too far away to be worth it.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone!

17. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

I too loved the changing table on the PNP. The girls slept in the PNP in our room for the first 4 months and middle of the night changings were so easy! We actually brought the 'real' changing table downstairs to the living room and only used the pnp changing table upstairs. Definitely worth the $40.

18. MonicaBaker

MonicaBaker Well-Known Member

We used the changing station ALL THE TIME. I loved it! Too bad they are too big now, I have to use the floor. Not to mention, ours had storage that hung down for the diapers in wipes. I am big on having things in their place, so that was a nice organizer too.

19. twinnerbee

twinnerbee Well-Known Member

QUOTE(SC_Amy @ Dec 3 2008, 06:57 PM) [snapback]1096204[/snapback]
    Yikes! Do you mean the bassinet part? Or the bottom level? Did it stay "flat" until the babies reached the combined weight limit of 15 lbs? Or did it do that from the beginning?

Mine dipped in the middle, too...right from the start and my babies were only 10 lbs combined! They were always rolling together in the middle so we moved them into thier cribs after the first week or so (bouncies for naps). The PnP was great for those first few days...I lived downstairs in our family room so I could run to the kitchen to eat whenever I had 5 minutes. Once I started getting the hang of things it was easier to go upstairs and put them in their own cribs at night.

I have a changing table (2 free used ones) in their room and downstairs so I never used the one on the PnP, but I can tell you I LOVE having a free standing one in the family room. It makes a place to store diapers, wipes, some changes of clothes, etc. without having that stuff all over the place, plus it's nice to change them without hurting my back. Once they start crawling I'm sure we'll stop using it, but it's been great the past few months. You could consider looking on craigslist for a free or cheap used changing table. The only reason I say that is that I put my PnP away since they wouldn't nap in it so I would be annoyed if I had to have that big thing sitting out just for the changing table part. Just something else to think about.

20. caba

caba Banned

Another vote for changing table. I spent all day downstairs with the twins for the first 8 months, and I used that thing every day. We set up a little set up shelves next to the PNP, and it held all my diapers, wipes, etc. So for me it was super convenient ...

21. cmccarthy

cmccarthy Well-Known Member

I still use mine with the changing table (and bassinet part, no dipping yet) all the time!
    We have a changing table in the nursery but we use the PNP downstairs and just love the convenient changing table feature. We also have pets so changing them "anywhere" is not always an option.

I wonder why some people have the PNP dip and I don't... My babies are Aidan- 15lbs and Nadia- 11lbs. So combined 26lbs in there and they sleep really comfy. I have read that it has something to do with how you set it up but I am not sure about that. Mine has a bar that runs down the center under the bassinet part. Keeps it nice and rigid. I have the Winnie the Pooh model you chose from Target but in green. The little thing on the side holds diapers and wipes right there so no searching. When they get too big for it, the changing table comes right off. What could be simpler?

Another note about the changing table, I use it as a convenient place to put things also. I keep a motley of hats, socks, cloth diapers and bibs on it for easy access.

I would totally put it on my registry and see if someone buys it for you. If not, check Craigs List for PNPs. There are always tons of them on there! We ended up with 1 for the living room, 1 to travel with (basic model) and 1 for the sitter. I could never have afforded 3 PNPs!!! My mother bought the new Pooh one and then we got 2 more from CL!

In the end, it really depends on how you plan to use it. It is surely just as easy to change baby on the couch or floor and that will save you some money.

22. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

the changing table is the most used feature of our pack n play. i would definitely recommend it.

23. Gordana

Gordana Well-Known Member

I never once used the change table on my Pack n Play.

24. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Charly @ Dec 4 2008, 08:51 AM) [snapback]1096832[/snapback]
    I would totally put it on my registry and see if someone buys it for you. If not, check Craigs List for PNPs. There are always tons of them on there!

It's been on my registry from the beginning but I'm now 33w and no one's bought it. :) (Had my second of two showers back on November 8th.) I've also been checking Craigslist but haven't found quite what I'm looking for. The good news is, I have $55 in store credit at Target so even the more expensive one would only cost me $45.

25. erinhein

erinhein Member

Hello! I use my changing table on my pack 'n play multiple times every day. I bought it when my first son was born. Now with the twins, I've left if up in our basement/ game room and use it all day long for the twins as well as my older son. It's worth every penny!!!