Playtex sippies and the microwave

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Gordana, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Gordana

Gordana Well-Known Member

My kids prefer their milk warm so for as long as they have been on sippies I have microwaved them. They drink out of the Playtex sippies which are #2 recyclable on the bottom of them. I had no idea that microwaving plastic was bad. Now I feel really bad about doing this. Please tell me that it's not that bad. I feel so guilty.

2. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

I don't know if it is necessarily "bad" . I microwave lots of things in plastic. I mean, all my tuppeware and Gladware is plastic so I guess I am not sure what "bad" means here.

I believe Gladware is considered recyclable too and I think you can still microwave them. :unsure:

3. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

You are not bad at all. :hug: There are a lot of people that don't know that it's not a good idea to do that!! Do not beat yourself up at all. :hug:

4. mel&3

mel&3 Well-Known Member

Microwaving ANY plastic I;ve heard is bad, but I still do the same thing w/ DD's sippy for 30 sec at a time. I figure it probably isn't THAT bad, and w/ wins you got to go w/ what helps you survive day to day... But I know the guilt feeling, though.

5. CHJH

CHJH Well-Known Member

I wish I could tell you that it's no big deal, but I really just want to advise you not to microwave plastics in the future, no matter what number is on them (although some are worse than others). Canada recently banned baby bottles and sippies containing BPA and guidelines have been released by a number of health agencies advising against heating plastics in the microwave. Don't feel guilty about what you didn't know - but now is your chance to be proactive in future. If your kids love warm milk, just pop their sippies into a bowl of hot water for a few minutes before you serve them.

6. lbrooks

lbrooks Well-Known Member

You can only do what you know. Now that you know you just won't do it anymore. It won't be the last time you did something unknowingly. I heat milk or anything for that matter, in glass only now that I'm well-versed in the plastic dangers (obsessive mama here), but my oldest son ate and drank everything out of bad plastic...and I heated it in plastic.