Playtex nurser Bottles

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by nikki_0724, May 26, 2009.

1. nikki_0724

nikki_0724 Well-Known Member

I got a few of these bottles for for free from a website. I Usually toss them in the Diaper bag b/c its easier to use these and toss the liner then it is to take a bunch of bottles with me. Yesterday I filled the the water to the 6oz mark and poured in the formula, Set the bottle down and when I came back for some reason I looked at it and it was only filled to 5oz.. Hmmmm I thought, Dh was o the other side of me and asked what I was talking about the bottle had 6oz in it. I turned the bottle and the other side said it had 6oz in it.

So confused by this. 6oz is 6oz so why does one side of this bottle say 6oz and the other say something else.
    I worried now b/c I think yesterday I might have only been filling it to the 5oz mark depending on what side of the bottle I was looking at but i was putting in 3 scoops of formula.

I looked at all the playtex nurser bottles that I have and they all do the same thing so there has to be some explanation to this. I looked at the directions and nothing.

So confused but im sure its something really stupid. Can someone explsin this to me?

2. 2plusbgtwins

2plusbgtwins Well-Known Member

Is the discrepancy in the marking on the hard plastic part of the bottle? If so, Im not sure why that is. I used those bottles and I never had a problem with the actual bottle. I will say that if you use the Playtex bags, that you have to pull down over the side, you have to make sure you pull it evenly to the correct line, b/c you could pull it down crooked and that would affect the amount of formula that is actually in there. . .so, if you're looking at the numbers on the plastic bag, and its not matching up on both sides, maybe you arent pulling it down straight...?
    Otherwise, I have no clue.

ETA: I also used the drop-ins. . that are preformed, instead of the bags, and my personal opinion is that they hold more than they say, so you have to go by the line on the bottle.

3. kittenkills

kittenkills Well-Known Member

the playtex drop in nursers have two types of liners, the first goes up to 8 oz but only has the bottle marked up to 6 oz, you just fill it up for 8. the second liner extends at the bottom like a bulm and holds 10 oz. the bottle is only numbered up to 8 oz but you just fill it up for 10. the liners that come with the bottle are the ones that go up to 10, but if you go by the liner itself instead of the bottle its much less confusing.

4. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

There are 8 oz. liners and 10 oz. liners, so you need to know what kind of liner you have and fill to the appropriate line. One side has measurements for the 8 oz. liners and the other has measurements for the 10 oz. liners.

5. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The cheaper liners (walmart and target) are only 8 oz liners, but playtex now makes an "expandable" liner that goes to 10 oz for hungrier babies. As pp's said the liner expands midway up, so the oz markings are closer together on the side that says 8oz (fill to top of bottle for 10 oz).

Just look at the box of liners you've got to see which you have. I personally use target liners all the time if I can so I make sure to use the 6 oz side, but I do have some playtex I bought in an emergency and I really have to remind myself that they are different! :hug:

6. VivGuest

VivGuest Well-Known Member

I got these because when I first had my twins we didn't have a dishwasher and throwing away liners seemed a better idea.

Anyway....

I never go by the lines on the liners or the bottles. I measure the water in something else and pour it in. :pardon: Took all the guess work out of it. I have a measuring cup with a kind of spout and it lists the oz as wall as the cups. GL!