Playtex Drop-Ins Nipples

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by cat419, Apr 22, 2008.

1. cat419

cat419 Well-Known Member

We just got handed 5 samples of Playtex nursers. And we already had some because it's what we initially attempted with the babies before going through every other major brand and landing on Dr. Browns.

With the BPA issues flying about, but even more so the huge amount of time we spend doing dishes every day with the Dr. Browns ... we're thinking of trying to switch them to the Playtex again.

One of my sons wouldn't take the Playtex ones at first, but I think he might now. The other loved the Playtex, but I'm not sure how well he'll take to it now. But we have the bottles, we have the liners, so why not give it a try, right?

Well, we're having nipple issues. Slow is too slow for both of them. Enfamil AR won't flow through it at all, that's why we switched the one off of the Playtex to begin with. And Alimentum technically goes through, but not easily. (I don't know if that's true in a general sense, but we're concentrating it up to 24 cals, so it's a little thicker.) Fast is too fast - it gets everywhere with the one, and totally drowns the other. And they don't HAVE a medium flow (except in orthodontic I guess? But that's not gonna work with these guys, they hate that shape).

I know they have variable flows; I ruined one already. So before I try anymore - what's the trick? How do I make this work?

2. HinSD

HinSD Well-Known Member

Can you try a different brand nipple with it? It may take some trial and error though.

3. Flutterbymama

Flutterbymama Well-Known Member

Playtex has tri-cut nipples that I believe are similar to the Dr. Browns "Y" cut nipples. You might try those.

4. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

You might also try cutting the slow nipples open a little bit with a razor blade. We had to do that when our kids weren't quite ready for the fast nipples. I never found them in a store, but I remember someone posting on here a while back that the medium flow nipples for the Playtex system were available on-line. I never checked it out because by that time my kids were using the fast nipples, but it might be worth looking.

5. kellytwinmom

kellytwinmom Well-Known Member

Oh I am right there with you. I think one of my girls gets too tired from eating but then is hungry really quickly because she didn't really get to eat as much as she needs.

The variable is the y cut. We are trying those (I'm not too impressed yet) and the fast and the slow...we go between them. I finally decided I need to make a hole in the small one some how (razor blade! great idea!) as they are not quite ready for the fast.

You'd think Playtex would make something in between!!!

6. cat419

cat419 Well-Known Member

I just scoured the internet and it appears they now ARE making medium flow nipples.

Medium Flow

Before posting about this earlier I had gone to the playtex website and they said nothing about this there! So naturally I assumed if it's not on their product page, it doesn't exist. Guess I'll order a pack and see how they work.

7. two.heartbeats

two.heartbeats Well-Known Member

QUOTE(cat419 @ Apr 22 2008, 01:10 PM) [snapback]733521[/snapback]
    I just scoured the internet and it appears they now ARE making medium flow nipples.

Medium Flow

Before posting about this earlier I had gone to the playtex website and they said nothing about this there! So naturally I assumed if it's not on their product page, it doesn't exist. Guess I'll order a pack and see how they work.

Yes, these are new! They just came out and only some stores have it. My Babies R Us just started putting them out.

I actually have the opposite problem with the Drop In nipples...Fast is not fast enough, lol and slow is like nothing at all. We went to the fast ones when they were 2 months old and now at 10 months, fast is sooooo slow.

8. jjokitty

jjokitty Well-Known Member

Yes, I just received my medium flows in the mail! Our first try didn't go very well, but it was the last feeding of the day and Sophie was super tired (Avery does fine with the fast flow) so that may have caused the problem. My sister tried the mediums today and she said they worked great! Sophie drank the whole bottle in one sitting. She usually drinks half and then takes the other half 45 minutes later (annoying!).
    Good luck with them.

Jen