Playtex drop-ins....how do you warm it up?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by alexafaeh, Nov 24, 2007.

1. alexafaeh

alexafaeh Well-Known Member

dear all,

I am trying to narrow down my bottle choices, I am planning on breasfeeding combined with pumping and bottles for my helpers.

so far, the drop-ins are a winner, my question now....when you buy the generic liners (which are the bags) and you have to warm it up, can you still use a bottle warmer? I would put the bag already in the bottle and then warm it up this way? also same question if you use the drop-ins, how do you warm them up? (we have 2 floors and we would like to not go down in kitchen for night feedings)

I know that the drop ins come in 4oz and 8oz, can you also pump directly in those and freeze in them? they don't seem to come with a cover, so I guess for freezing, I would have to use the sealable liners, correct?

also I am wondering about the sizes...for the 4 oz. bottles and nursers, do you use smaller liners? my friend showed me how she did it but she used the standard size and it comes out on the bottom (bottles are open on bottom).

and after all that, I am wondering then, should I just go with the ventaire bottles from playtex? gooood question...

thanks for inputs!
    alexa

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

We never used a bottle warmer. We just put the frozen milk in a bowl of warm water to thaw, if we didn't thaw it in the fridge. I don't know of an easy way to warm up milk with the playtex drop in liner. Oh.. eta: there are form fitting generic liners for the playtex drop in liner bottles. I used either Target or Walmart generics when I used bottles. I used the 4 ounce size because they never drank any more than that at one sitting.

3. Her Royal Jennyness

Her Royal Jennyness Well-Known Member

I think the drop-ins would tell you on the package whether they could be warmed in a bottle warmer.

I think you need to freeze your bm in a sealable bag. It's easy enough to thaw them and I think you may even be able to heat up the milk in the bags, I'm not sure.

I never used drop-ins but I thought they were all the same size. :unknw:

Sorry I wasn't more help.

4. ahmerl

ahmerl Well-Known Member

I have been using the drop ins. I tried everything with warming and finally settles with using a bottle warmer and being very vigilant about shaking and testing to be sure they are not too hot. The warmer has a setting for disposable bottles and that is the setting we use. We also have a two story house and our nighttime feedings go on upstairs so this is helpful. The thing is, you really do not have to warm the bottles and my advice is to never get them started on it. My DS just eats his formula as is at room temp. but we had to make DD's in large batches and store it in the fridge so it has to be warmed a bit. There is no reason to warm the formula unless necessary.

The drop ins come in 4oz, 8oz, and now a new 8-10oz liner and bottle. By this I mean you get 4oz. bottles and 4oz. drop in liners AND then later on when they babies are ready you get the 8oz. bottles and the 8oz. liners etc...

We have done fine with the drop ins; however, I never did try anything else. Also, if you don't want to use a warmer you can also use a hot pot of water on the stove or else a pp suggested a crock pot.

Amy

5. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

There are smaller bags for the smaller bottles (4 oz bags) and larger bags for the larger bottles (8 oz)

We never warmed their milk so never had to deal with that.

6. MrsBQ02

MrsBQ02 Well-Known Member

We've pretty much only used either the drop ins OR the liners.... to warm: when they were little and using the 4 oz size, we just kept coffee mugs by the sink, made the bottle, put hot water in the mugs, then put the bottle in each mug. Worked perfectly- perfect size, didn't take long to warm either. Now that they're using 8 oz, I keep a crock pot full of water (set on warm) all day, and drop them in there- even faster to heat!

I know you CAN pump directly into the liners, but I never have. I always pump into normal bottles, and store them in the fridge or dump directly into bottle to be eaten.

7. lesliekyla

lesliekyla Well-Known Member

I have a follow up question on the responses: what's the difference between drop ins and liners? I thought they were the same thing.

Thanks!

8. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

9. MrsBQ02

MrsBQ02 Well-Known Member

there are "drop-in" liners - that are bottle shaped and you just drop it in the holder. Then there are liners that you have to use two hands to fold the tabs over the top rim of the bottle. Make sense? The liners are cheaper, but the drop in liners are WAY more convenient! ;-)

10. plattsandra103

plattsandra103 Well-Known Member

they sell one-step pump and storage lids so you can pump directly into a liner, put a lid in it and stick it in the fridge or freezer....it hooks up well to my medela pump

we keep hot water in a thermos upstairs and pour into a mug to heat bottles at night, during the day i just microwave the water and stick the bottle in that

we have both the 4 oz and 8 oz bottles, but i have only unpacked 4 of the 8 oz bottles, i really thought i'd be using them more by now

11. akameme

akameme Well-Known Member TS Moderator

we used a bunch of different bottles, depending on the day/mood (of us, or the babies) - but we almost always heated them in a cup of hot water (like others said). And with the drop ins, they heat up really quickly - it's hard when there is a screaming baby, but it is better than the microwave. also, we were sorta liberal with breast milk. since i've heard it's good for anywhere from 5-8 hours, at the 1am feeding, i would take out a bottle and let it warm up for the 4am. Almost never had any frozen milk.

Also, we never really *heated* the milk, we just took the chill off - so by 4-5 months we had them on cold milk and now at almost 11 months they LOVE cold water.

12. walker006

walker006 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(alexafaeh @ Nov 24 2007, 04:46 PM) [snapback]507079[/snapback]
    dear all,

and after all that, I am wondering then, should I just go with the ventaire bottles from playtex? gooood question...

thanks for inputs!
    alexa

I use the wide ones. The babies love them. They dont like the narrow ones. I had to get them shipped to me from the states cause they are so expensive here. Your choice might also depend on what babies want. They can be picky. :)