Playtex Drop in Bottles

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by New Mom, Jul 3, 2008.

1. New Mom

New Mom Well-Known Member

I just got a few of the drop in bottles and was wondering can you mix the formula up in them? Does the formula even mix inside the bags? I am invisioning a huge mess when I am out and about and trying to get my DS a bottle mixed up. So I want to know if these are worth the money.

Right now the formula is premade at home so I just pour it in and I haven't had to mix it up while I am out. Any helpful tips would be appreciated.

2. mommymauro

mommymauro Well-Known Member

i use drop inns, but i dont mix in them... i use the already made formula for when i'm out and about... WARNING: i just discovered this morning that the drop inns oz are off... if i measure 4 oz in a measuring cup it comes out 3 oz in my drop inns... and with the 8oz drop inn... same thing, but in reverse...(it looks like 8 oz but measures 7... but the Target drop inns are WAY off if you first measure in a measuring cup then pour it in the drop inn.. try it... maybe its just my drop inns

Elizabeth

3. New Mom

New Mom Well-Known Member

It's funny you mention the bottles being off because I was thinking about that the other day. I am going to try it and let you know.

4. jjokitty

jjokitty Well-Known Member

I always added the water and then the formula, screwed on the lid, put my finger over the nipple hole, then shake. It worked fine. The liners are pretty stiff so it was never a problem. I did find the measurements to be off though, so I had a little avent bottle that I used as a measuring cup to get the right amount of water in. I bought the Parents Choice liners from Walmart, they're cheaper and work just fine.

5. Dianna

Dianna Well-Known Member

This is what we use. Check the kind of liners...playtex...generic(saves a buck or two and work fine) but some are expandable and some are not and use the markings on the bottles for each type.

I set all my bottles up with liners and the powder formula then add water and shake. It mixes fine. We were getting too many bubbles, so now I just try to make the bottle ahead, about 20 minutes or so, then it has time to settle. For a bit we mixed the formula by pitcher and kept in the fridge...but have to heat to bottles a little bit when both are screaming not worth it...and they wouldn't take them ice cold...they do take them about room temp.

Dianna

6. twins2008

twins2008 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(New Mom @ Jul 3 2008, 12:14 PM) [snapback]858521[/snapback]
    I just got a few of the drop in bottles and was wondering can you mix the formula up in them? Does the formula even mix inside the bags? I am invisioning a huge mess when I am out and about and trying to get my DS a bottle mixed up. So I want to know if these are worth the money.

Right now the formula is premade at home so I just pour it in and I haven't had to mix it up while I am out. Any helpful tips would be appreciated.

I make the formula in them. I just pour the water in to the line, put it in the bottle, add the appropiate amount of powder, put the top on and shake. If you don't put the lid on just make sure to put your finger over the hole in the nipple. If I am going out I usually pour the water in to the line and then put the top on until we need to use it. When they are hungry I just put the scoops of formula in and put the lid on and shake. I have never had a problem with them or have had a mess. I actually prefer them to other bottles, they are much easier to clean. Good luck.

7. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

We haven't started using formula yet, but will be in a couple of weeks. I liked someone else's suggestion of mixing in a different bottle and pouring into the Drop In. I have several cheap Gerber Clearview bottles. I plan to fill them with the appropriate amount of water and keep them capped (the lids from my breast pump bottles fit). Then I'll just mix and pour into the liner. The extra bubbles should stay in the mixing bottle for the most part and the measurements are probably more accurate.