Playroom organization..

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by megkc03, May 23, 2010.

1. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Two years in and I am tired of the storage bin organization. This is what we currently have:

Storage bins

I'm just tired of it. I think it looks disorganized. We have a closet in the playroom that has many more bins with toys, some with covers, some without. I was thinking of doing something along the lines of this:

Fabric Bins

We would just need to get the fabric drawers for it.

The room is small. So I have the bins on one wall, along with two large buckets-one filled to the brim with books(that's a whole other post), and another bucket with her toys. Then I have the 50's Diner, a computer desk/chair, a small four drawer bureau, and a bookcase. I want to make the most of the space. Any ideas?

Oh-and a closet overflowing with toys... But don't tell dh I told you all that! :laughing:

2. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I have what you have, though I was able to wedge it into a cabinet and that has doors... so its (1) locked up so the kids don't just go get what they want - they have to ask. and (2) you can't see the bins.

I like the idea of the 2nd idea since whatever is in the fabric bin will be hidden inside the bin and it should look nice and neat! great idea! I have a bunch of those fabric baskets for a bookcase of mine, and it does look nice, and you can get a few colors to add to the decor too.

3. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

Do you have an IKEA near you ? there are organizers there too. I like the idea of something locked. I've heard that now twice on this site and once before from a friend... otherwise I'm finding they take everything out and THEN decide what they want.

I'm attempting to re-organize and I'm finding that eliminating stuff has been the BEST way to re-organize. I'm just finding things were overwelming me otherwise. Everyday I find toys they dont' play with and either throw out or good will. The stuffed animals had to go they were way too much for me.

If you have a garage you could put the toys into plastic containers and then rotate the toys. Say once a month or something. I had nice wicker baskets in a large book shelf but now they just pull them all out and empty them and play for 10 mins with the stuff leaving a huge mess......

good luck loved to hear others advice....

Heather

4. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

We have this from Ikea along the wall. We then have another one 4 cubes across by 2 cubes high that divide the play area from the front of the room so you can't see the mess as easily. We have opaque plastic bins for storage (also by ikea) that fit perfectly and go in the squares. We don't have bins for all the squares. Some of the squares have books in them, stuffed animals, bigger toys etc. It works really well.

5. megkc03

Hmmm...I think I need to make a trip to Ikea. I like the idea of the fabric bins and then adding books and bigger toys as well. I just wish it wasn't so far away(hour plus). No way I could squeeze in a trip there either until at least next week.

I'm going to win this battle with dh! Lol! And I think I'm going to have to purge.... :faint:

6. debbie_long83

debbie_long83 Well-Known Member

We have a shelf very similar to the one you posted, maybe even the same thing. I have a couple of the fabric bins in it and I really like it. I keep books and other toys in the open holes. They also have a toy box that FIL built. He built it to where it is just about impossible to slam fingers, it has a groove in the front so their fingers can't get caught there and the lid stays open on its own. We also have a couple of baskets/other bins that we keep things in. If I had an Ikea here, I would so go for that bigger shelf.

7. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

We have a huge shelf like 7 ft by 6 ft. with 4 shelves on each side. I have the clear plastic bins that all match. My kids like looking and being able to see the toys inside. I also like that they can't open them yet so if they have one out, they avhe to clean it up before I get a new one out. I have one tub of misc stuff, all the little stuff that doesnt' match, but everything else has a place or it gets tossed. My kids have even learned to put htings in the right tubs and will take things out that friends put in the wrong tub.

I like the fabric look better but I have two problems that you should consider before you do it. 1- no lid, easier to dump lots of them out at the same time and 2- they can't see what is inside. You could solve that with pics though. Just my 2 cents. LOL.

This made me think I need to go through and get rid of the stuff that is too young for them.

8. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Dude, get your butt to Target right now. In the dollar section they have the cloth bins for $1.00. I have two wire organizers from there (and have them set up in a cascade formation, kind of like a triangle).

9. megkc03

Target + Dollar Bins + Me=$100....

LOL! I will definitely be checking it out pronto!

10. alexafaeh

alexafaeh Well-Known Member

we have 2 play areas, they are both within our formal and casual dining room but off to the corners. because of that, we only have their playkitchen out all the time and their bookshelf with all the books and puzzles.
    all other toys are upstairs in a hallway closet.....only stuff we use now, I do not keep anything they don't play with anymore.

so usually after night or nap, they walk by the closet and pick what they would like to play with, usually just one or 2 toys each.

works like a charm....I used to have wayyy more out but then spent hours of putting away most of the stuff to rotate, so now it's easier.

11. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Meaghan I have those cloth bins and I have to say they are pretty, but kind of annoying. My girls love to dump them out and then the piece that fits in the bottom to make them rigid also comes out, and the box collapses. I also wish they had tops. Just a thought because you run to Target ;)

12. megkc03

LOL! Thanks for the input! I'm still trying to find something. As it is, I don't think dh will let me get anything. He wants to see what else is out there. But-the kids will be in college by the time that happens... :laughing:

13. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

I've been wanting those cube things for a while now, but DH won't let me splurge on the cost. We have one of the bucket organizers like you posted (from Target...I think they're smaller). We also have a toy box, a book shelf for all their books, & a giant round bin that I actually bought at Target yesterday (for like $7). FINALLY, 98% of our toys in our living room are IN something vs just lined up on the floor. I LOVE THAT! Downstairs we have their Train Table, Kitchen, another bookshelf w/books & toys, & another bucket organizer thing. Most of our toys are upstairs. I have their bucket thing ALL organized & did a little 'talk' with the boys about it last night. There's a bin for cars, a bin for play people, a bin for little animals, a bin for train pieces, etc etc. We'll see how long they stay organized! Oh, and I did a huge purge, too. Two heaping laundry baskets gone....

If you do get the cube system, you HAVE to check out the cloth bins at Target. My GOSH are they cute! I know they're not $1, but they're quite irresistible. Here's ONE, but type 'circo storage' in the search field on Target.com to see them all. DARLING!!

Have fun shopping! I wish we had an IKEA closer, but ours is about 2 hours away :(.

14. christie76

christie76 Well-Known Member

I also have the mulit-colored bins like you and they're great for small toys, but I have nowhere to put the bigger toys. I'm planning on getting the shelves from Ikea and getting bins for the bottom shelves.

What kind of bins do you all have that lock? I definitely want to get some of those. I'm sick of them dumping out all their toys.

15. LB

LB Well-Known Member

we have the cubes and fabric bins but we got them from target..I love them..although they are quite tough on them so I'm planning to replace the fabric bins with a sturdier bin. We have them in our family room and now that we are adding on I'm planning on getting the same organization system for thier new play room. I'm also planning on labeling the bins with picture icons to make it easier for them to clean up..