Playmats: 1 or 2?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by SC_Amy, Jan 30, 2009.

1. SC_Amy

SC_Amy Well-Known Member

I am debating whether to take advantage of TinyLove's BOGO multiples discount, or use a BRU GC I have to buy just one. It seems like it would be nice to have two, but I'm not sure how much we would really use two and obviously it would be easier on the budget right now if I just used the GC rather than buying one (OK, 2 :)) from TinyLove. So just wondering if you all have found it helpful to have two playmats or not. (We also have a rainforest cradle swing and two different kinds of bouncy seats.) Also, what age did your babies start and stop using playmats?

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

we have one rectangular one that we put both girls on together - they seem to enjoy that. i've been putting them on it since they were very little (probably around 2 months) but they only started really batting at the toys around 4.5 months or so. they haven't gotten bored of it yet!

3. twinmuffin

twinmuffin Well-Known Member

I would only get one play mat. During the time that your babies will be interested in it, most of the time you can put them both on there. By the time they are big enough that they won't be able to share it, they will be scooting off of it trying to get somewhere else anyways. I would use my money to buy 2 of other things like swings or bouncy chairs, depending on what they like.

4. mommymauro

mommymauro Well-Known Member

I personally had different things… and decided if something was the cure all answer for both I would run out and buy another… hasn’t happened yet… I had one matt thing (in the very early days they both fit) and one boat thing that had a display that if it was moved (they kicked) it would play music and light up… and look all bubbly (it was a gift and I thought it was dumb… but heck Nate LOVED it)… and I had swings and seats… I just rotated them… that way they had a bunch of different things to look at… and seemed happy… it did turn out the boat was what Nate liked and the matt was what Seth liked… just like Seth like the seats and Nate liked the swing… I am just waiting for them to both like the same thing at the same time… hasn’t happened… right now Seth loves the jumper and Nate the walker… not that the other does not like the jumper or walker… its just I know that they like one more then the other… hth

5. becky5

becky5 Guest

We just had one. Once they started rolling, around 6 months, they were done with it.

6. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

We had just one mat & they never really enjoyed it though, so it only got used a couple times.

7. lmayrhofer

lmayrhofer Active Member

I have found having 2 to be great b/c we live in a two-level house, I found it is nice to have one on each floor so that we can play in different rooms and give some variety. Every one told me to only get one- I highly recommend borrowing or even getting a used one on craigslist. We are 5+ months and still enjoying them but they are not big rollers yet.

8. CHJH

CHJH Well-Known Member

We only had one. But if you plan to spend a lot of time at the grandparents' place or something OR you can get one that's slightly different to mix things up, a second won't go to waste. And you can sell it on Craig's List when you're done with it.

9. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(SC_Amy @ Jan 30 2009, 07:46 PM) [snapback]1169288[/snapback]
    I am debating whether to take advantage of TinyLove's BOGO multiples discount, or use a BRU GC I have to buy just one. It seems like it would be nice to have two, but I'm not sure how much we would really use two and obviously it would be easier on the budget right now if I just used the GC rather than buying one (OK, 2 :)) from TinyLove. So just wondering if you all have found it helpful to have two playmats or not. (We also have a rainforest cradle swing and two different kinds of bouncy seats.) Also, what age did your babies start and stop using playmats?

I have a rainforest swing and we still use it with DD as she´s still under 9kg (21lbs). I bought one playmat designed for twins in the UK. I started using it at 3 months and am still using it as they practice their rolling, etc on it. Mine are 8 months now. In your shoes, I´d buy one and see how you get on.

10. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I had two, they loved it between 4 and 6 months and liked the change of scenery.

11. aandja79

aandja79 Well-Known Member

We started off with the rainforest playmat, which they loved, even before they could do anything with the toys. They started to accidentally kick and hit each other though with the one playmat, so I found a really cute Baby Einstein one at Costco for less than $30. Wow, that was a hit! It has a gorgeous star that lights up, changes colour, and plays music. Every time they saw it, they would give it the biggest smiles (it had a smiley face on it). I started using the playmats when they were about 6 weeks old, and we only really just stopped using them a couple weeks ago at 7 and a half months. I would also rotate the toys, and I bought a few extra toys and links so that I could change things up a bit.

12. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We had one -- it was just one of several things we used along with the bouncy seats, exersaucer (when they were a little older), etc. I don't think there's any need to have two unless you have a lot of space. I preferred to put the babies in the bouncy seats anyway. It sort of felt better to me not to be leaving them on the floor all the time (but now I know there's nothing wrong with that -- it was just my insecurity as a new mother). But they also seemed to get cranky more when lying down, as opposed to sitting up so they could see.

When they got old enough to sit in the Bumbo (~3 months), we would sit them in the Bumbo in front of the playmat where they could reach the toys. They also liked grabbing at the toys even when they were old enough to roll or crawl. So, we did use it when they were tiny, but I felt they actually enjoyed it more from, say, 3-6 months.

ETA: We had a Baby Einstein star too. Ours came as a separate attachment (with a velcro strap so you can attach it to anything), but it's probably similar to what aandja described. They loved it! It was the first thing Sarah smiled at.

13. sharerc

sharerc Well-Known Member

We had 2 only because I left one in the living room and one in my bathroom. They were always on the same one together and unless you want 2 for different locations in the house, you'll be fine with one.

14. amelowe9

amelowe9 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(twinmuffin @ Jan 30 2009, 01:00 PM) [snapback]1169304[/snapback]
    I would only get one play mat. During the time that your babies will be interested in it, most of the time you can put them both on there. By the time they are big enough that they won't be able to share it, they will be scooting off of it trying to get somewhere else anyways. I would use my money to buy 2 of other things like swings or bouncy chairs, depending on what they like.

I agree...we have the Tiny Love Music and Lights one and they loved it when the were on their backs and just rolling over 3-6 months. They are kind of over it now. But they LOVED it and I used it everyday for a period of months. I think one is perfect, as there is SO many other things to buy!!!

15. hot2trottt4u

hot2trottt4u Well-Known Member

ours used the play mat together

16. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We had the rainforest playmat and 1 was plenty! They loved it, and I would put them both on it next to each other. It provided LOTS of entertainment for the first 4 months or so!

17. Lizzybo

Lizzybo Well-Known Member

My boys love their Tiny Love mat - just 1 for both of them 1 is enough.

18. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

Big waste of money for us. They loved being on a blanket on the floor and were thrilled holding each others hand or playing with a toy. Never got used.

19. lucky123

lucky123 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(sharerc @ Jan 30 2009, 04:24 PM) [snapback]1169643[/snapback]
    We had 2 only because I left one in the living room and one in my bathroom. They were always on the same one together and unless you want 2 for different locations in the house, you'll be fine with one.

Us too. We inherited one and had 1 from our older DD so we have one in the family room and one in our finished basement. But at 7 mo., they still use it together. Now we sit them close to it and they pull on the toys.