play dates with singelton moms

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Gimena, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Gimena

Gimena Well-Known Member

So today we went to a friend's house for a playdate. This was the 1st time at someone elses house along with other moms and their
    babies.
    It went well, but I feel so weird around them... all I hear is "I can't imagine how you do it"... and kind
    of me justifinng myself on how I do things, etc.... they all watch and ran after their one baby, while
    I have one sitting around and the other one getting away crawling....
    At home I'm fine, but when I'm with others is really when I feel like "I have my hands full"
    THen they talk about getting together to go to the pool and of course I can't do that so I feel left out..
    they all have babies around mine so they can't really help me as they are busy with their one baby.
    I just feel weird....I have to meet and go out with twins moms.
    then at the end I think we are probably not be invited again (they are not close friends") just because
    my babies are more work... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhghhh!! I can't wait for them to have more kids! :)!

-

2. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

:hug: Try looking into a Mom's of Mulitples Club in your area. They usually have age appropriate playgroups.

3. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I second looking for a Mom's of Multiples group. Having twins is definitely a different world to having just one singleton! :hug:

4. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

I go to two different playgroups and we're the only ones with two kids most of the time. I totally understand what you are feeling and felt the same way the first several times I went. A year later though and everyone sees how well I cope and the comments about "having your hands full" stopped after the 2nd or 3rd playdate. I often have people over to our house as it's completely babyproofed and everyone just sits around and relaxes. Pools are tough, but maybe you could suggest doing a pool playdate on a Saturday. Daddies like playdates too! :) Hang in there, it does get better. Where do you live? You might even be able to find another TS twin mommy to hang out with!

5. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

I wish you lived near me!!

6. katycali

katycali Member

Hang in there. I meet with some local moms about 3-4 times a week. They only have 1 or 2 children (no twins) and I have my 2 year old and my twin 10 month olds. Everytime I go, it gets easier and easier.

The comments of "i can't imagine how you do it"...I take those as compliments because they truely have no idea how hard it is. Only those that have twins really know all the work and effort it takes to get out the door.

Try to enjoy the outings as much as you can...like I said, it will get easier each time you go. And as for the pool, I'll rotate each kid into the pool while the other stays in the stroller (my 2 year old will just sit poolside...so she is easy to handle).

But if there are mom's with twins in your area, I'm sure it would be nice to meet up with someone in your same situation.

7. Specky

Specky Well-Known Member

I know exactly how you feel! It's hard. I have a friend i go to the park with who has a 9mth old and a 2yr old (now that's hands full!), but she leaves me with her 9mth old, saying half jokingly "what's one more, right"...ummmm...NOOOOO!

Be great if you lived near me!