Play computer for 3 year olds?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Trishandthegirls, May 2, 2010.

1. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

My girls love, love, love my laptop. I, however, would prefer they not touch it since I use it for work. So, I'd like to get them their own computer. It doesn't have to be a real one - something geared towards preschoolers would be fine.

I've seen play laptops from Fisher Price and VTech for about $30 each, but wonder if they're just noisy toys that the girls will lose interest in quickly? Do any of you have either of these, or something else that you would recommend for three year olds so they could feel like they have their own laptop, and be able to use it too?

Thanks!

2. denzel

denzel Well-Known Member

My girls absolutely love my lap top, too. I've been letting them use Starfall and pbskids for awhile. For Christmas my sister got them the Vtech kids lap tops which seem to be highly rated. The girls like them, but they much, much prefer the real thing. I still don't understand why the graphics are so horribly small and pixelated on those things. I would have paid more for better graphics. After using a MacBook, there is no comparison for them. Perhaps if I had never let them play on my laptop, they would be more in to their vtech ones, but I think it's just too late now.

3. hudsonfour

hudsonfour Well-Known Member

My girls had 2 small kid play laptops (I forget the brand) that cost around $35. They played with them a bit, but not much. They love my laptop and play on it daily. They visit PBSKIDS and Disney. I have to fight them for my computer time.
    I can't recommend any play computer...it just wasn't a hit in our home. Just like the play phone was never as good as my phone! In the next year I would like to get them an inexpensive laptop to share.

4. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

we have the FP Learning Laughtop, a Barbie laptop, a Thomas the Tank Engine laptop and a Wall-E shaped computer laptop game thingy and my son loves to play with them as well as his leapster and our desktop...he also likes my laptop as well however he destroyed one when he was 18 or so months old and I still don't trust him LOL...