Planes, trains, and automobiles

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Meximeli, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

In two weeks time I will be travelling with my 17 month old son on an epic journey. We aren't even going that far, but because we are going from one rural area to another rural area the trip will involve 6 hours on a bus, a 20 minute subway ride, flights on three progressively smaller planes of no more than two hours each, but with layovers between them ranging from 1 to 4 hours, followed by another hour in a car. The entire journy is going to take us 20 hours. Then a week later we are going to turn around and to it again in the opposite direction.

Any tips?

My boy is very good natured. But not used to this sort of thing (who is!). I just bought his first stroller and he will be going for daily rides in it, other wise he is used to be carried, in a sling, in arms, or on sholders, and walking some. He can walk all the way around our block which is about 500 meters (a lap around a standard track is 400 meters) with out asking to be carried.

2. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I'm tired (and frazzled) just thinking about that journey!!! I hope someone has some tips for you..., I think you're doing a great job getting him used to stroller rides, that is key since he will be sitting a lot! I'd also see what type of fun - really fun activities you have for him to do... electronic or dvd player etc. we did a long trip with our 26 mo twins last year and I totally wish I'd brought a dvd player for mine!!

3. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Holy cow! What are you going for? That sounds like quite the adventure, and very tiring. My kids haven't been big travelers, other than just long car rides... some as long as your trip, but all in the same van. Personally, I think a sling or asian baby carrier might be easier than a stroller. That's what I used when I flew from Seattle to NY with my 10 mo old last year. Only 1 layover each way, but it was so nice to not have to hassle with a stroller. I could just throw the sling in my bag when he wasn't in it, or strap him on when I needed to really truck across an airport. He's actually never really loved being in it, but he did ok for the trip. I used it more with my older kids (like your son's age) than I ever did with Spencer.

Other suggestions would be to have sufficient snacks and water for him, maybe a small blanket/lovey. I like having a few small books in my bag and maybe some brand new little toys that he's not yet familiar with to keep him occupied, too. And you might try to pack something really chewy (I don't give gum to toddlers, but know people who do) for all the ups and downs on the plane rides that might bother his ears. I actually tried to nurse Spencer as much as possible during those times to help him and it mostly did the trick. But you're probably not going to want to carry much, when you're also dealing with a toddler, so keeping things small and light is a big plus.

Good luck!

4. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

Dielle,

We are going to meet Grandpa and Grandma. Unfortunately our family has preferences for out of the way living! If I lived in Mexico City and they lived in Dallas (like they did for a while in the past), we'd shave 16 hours off the trip!

I took the stroller to Oaxaca to pick up his passport Tuesday and I didn't like using it very much. He did really good, but there's something off about the width of the umbrella stroller and I felt like I couldn't walk naturally behind it. The only other stroller I've ever used was the girls double jogging stroller--and even though that's like 3 times the size of the umbrella stroller it was way easier to manuever than this thing!

I have a ring sling I used tons in his first year, but haven't used much in the past six months. I recently tried to see if I could carry him on my back with it, but I found it hard to stand up straight with him in there on my back. I did use it on the bus to Oaxaca this week in order to keep him on my lap without having to hold on to him.

I'll have to pick up a new toy or two this weekend--I hadn't thought about that.

5. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

Nice to go see family!

Do you sew? Here's directions for making what's called a Mei Tai baby carrier. It'll look something like this, when done. And you can wear them on front or back. I had Adam in one when he was about a year and a half old and a Korean woman who had her daughter in my DD's dance class told me that her grandmother had carried her in something similar until she was more than 5, and what fond memories it brought back to see me using it. She could vividly remember being on her little grandma's back. I've sewn a few of them and they're pretty easy. That's what I used for Spencer when I went to NY last year. I would practice tying him on a couple times before you go though, if you plan on it. Putting him on your back can take just a little practice.

You can also order them from lots of places online. Or there's an Ergo which is very similar that uses buckles instead of ties. But with your trip next week, I don't know that you'd have time to get anything sent to you in Mexico.

6. specialk

specialk New Member

Definitely get some new toys they can be a lifesaver. our 14 mo twins are pretty good travellers, they have flown twice and had about 4 long car trips. And we have found that the timing is the most important. As the day gets later the travel experience gets harder. We thought a night flight to HAwaii would be better because they would sleep but one of our DD, was to interested in watching the people around her so no sleep, plus lots of stimulation led to a super meltdown at landing. But all our other travel was in the am and they were amazing. Would try to avoid late night travel but if necessary that is a good time to bring out the new toys. Use your layovers to keep him active. Maybe come up with a scavenger hunt that you can do while waiting and get him moving around. Good luck, travel is hard with little ones but so worth it. And most people are understanding and helpful when things go wonky