Pitocin Induction after VBA2C?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by fruitofthewomb, Jun 10, 2012.

1. fruitofthewomb

fruitofthewomb Active Member

Has anyone here been induced with pitocin after a VBAC? We recently moved across the US and my previous births they would not induce at all as they shared (and I've read over and over) that it can significantly increase the risk of rupturing the scar. We are going to a very good hospital with all the advanced NICU, etc... should I be concerned or just relax about the pitocin? Also, what about inducing at 37 weeks instead of them coming on their own. Sorry, I should have asked the doctor all of this and will do so at my next appointment. Thanks...

2. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I was induced with pitocin with both my pregnancies, never had a c-section. If it were me, personally, I wouldn't induce before 39-40 weeks unless there was a medical reason to do so. I have heard that inducing can lead to the scar rupturing, I think the reasoning is because the contractions are stronger. Inducing also leads to longer, more painful labor and increases your risk of having a c-section anyway. I don't have anything to compare labor too, but the contractions were pretty intense. I guess? :lol: The first time I was induced, I was terrified because I just didn't know what to expect, the second time I was more relaxed, but annoyed it was happening again!! I figured if I did it once, I could do it again. My twins were induced at 40 weeks, my single at 42 weeks.

3. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

I had my twins by c section. When I got pregnant with Easton, my dr told me that if I went into labor on my own that I could try a VBAC but that he would not induce me. I ended up having another c section with him so they told me that if I ever got pregnant again that I would have to have a c section. Personally I would not let them induce me with twins ( or a singleton) after 2 c sections I would rather just have another section but that's just me . I would never ever schedule such an induction in advance. If I considered (which I wouldn't) I would have to know that I was at least dilated a good bit and thinned out. As far as the 37 week thing it would depend on the reason. They took my girls at 38 weeks - baby A had a low fluid level so we needed to get her out. Even at 38 weeks my baby B had breathing issues.

4. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

No! The chances of rupture increase if you are induced to have a VBAC. My DR wouldn't consider it. My first was a c/s due to a huge baby who was stuck. They wouldn't even induce the next baby who was going to be bigger. They just scheduled a c/s. Then the twins had to be a c/s by that point even if they were premature. Once they knew they couldn't stop the PTL they took the twins (@33-6). They even said they wouldn't let me labor any longer to see if they could stop it, due to the chances of rupture.
    I have a friend with a son who miraculously survived a rupture in utero. I would never want anyone to go through what they have been through.

5. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

No no no!!

I will now take this opportunity to stand on my soapbox and say EVERYONE SHOULD DO THEIR OWN RESEARCH! I've seen way too many friends have unwanted and unnecessary c-sections. Its very important to know what your options are and decide what risks you are comfortable taking, and which things your doctor is an idiot about! Please everyone educate yourselves as mich as possible. This is the only thong that *might* stop the terrible maternity system we have here.
    *steps down*

Sorry about that. I just hate to see people burned by bad doctors who care more about getting home for dinner than their actual patients. Good luck!!

6. marikaclare

marikaclare Well-Known Member

I was also told no induction/ no pitocin for a VBAC as you are more at risk for rupture. I support the doing some research on your own before your next appointment, as something doesn't sound right to me. Good luck!

7. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Pitocin induction for VBAC is provider dependent. It does carry risks (not just related to uterine rupture) however because the dose can be turned down and/or off if it's causing hypertonic contractions (contractions that are too long or strong) some providers are willing to use it. What is definitely contraindicated for VBAC is the use of prostaglandins (these are products inserted into the vagina such as cytotec, cervidil, etc that help to ripen the cervix prior to starting pit). This is because you can't turn them off if they cause hypertonic contractions.

I agree with the others that you will want to do some research on your own & really question your provider about what they do & why. If you aren't comfortable with their answers then find a different care provider. Have you thought about hiring a doula? She would be an excellent resource for you, including helping find a supportive care provider in your area.

1 person likes this.
  8. innocuous

innocuous New Member

There has been a recent study released that was looking for the optimal gestation times for twins. It found that twins born at 37 weeks have the best outcomes.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/06/120613073008.htm

9. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Something else to consider is the Bishop scale which is a measurement to see how effective your induction would be.

2 people like this.
  10. momof2andcounting

momof2andcounting New Member

I was induced using pitocin for my son's birth 2 years ago after a previous c-section. I was extremely nervous when the doctor mentioned using it because I had read about the dangers of rupture also, but I had no problems from receiving it (other than extremely strong contractions). My c-section was done 12 years prior, not sure if that made a difference or not...