Phasing out pureed veggies and fruits...

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by amelowe9, Mar 12, 2009.

1. amelowe9

amelowe9 Well-Known Member

I've started finger foods the past couple of days and the babies looove them! (The sticky above is SO helpful, thank you for that!) I'm not ready to give up the jars of Earth's Best and they still like them...but I'm wondering as I'm introducing new foods for them to self-feed with, can you offer any advice on how and when you stopped feeding them?

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(amelowe9 @ Mar 12 2009, 10:11 PM) [snapback]1225928[/snapback]
    I've started finger foods the past couple of days and the babies looove them! (The sticky above is SO helpful, thank you for that!) I'm not ready to give up the jars of Earth's Best and they still like them...but I'm wondering as I'm introducing new foods for them to self-feed with, can you offer any advice on how and when you stopped feeding them?

Once ours were getting better at self feeding, we started replacing pureed foods with cut up meats, fruits and veggies. Mine are 14 months and every once in a while, if they are extra hungry we will still give purees because ours still like them. We gradually reduced the food as they would eat more finger foods and fill up on them versus the purees. Not sure how helpful that is but that's what we did. Good luck!

3. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

We did exactly the same as Nancy. Mine still ate some purees at 13 months. I just let them self feed themselves and I would spoon feed them purees to get them full and not frustrated. Once I was confident that they were filling themselves, I slowly stopped the purees. GL!

4. becky5

becky5 Guest

QUOTE(DATJMom @ Mar 13 2009, 07:19 AM) [snapback]1226148[/snapback]
    We did exactly the same as Nancy. Mine still ate some purees at 13 months. I just let them self feed themselves and I would spoon feed them purees to get them full and not frustrated. Once I was confident that they were filling themselves, I slowly stopped the purees. GL!

Same here! I would sneak in bites of the puree as they were self-feeding until it seemed like it was no longer necessary.

5. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Same as Becky and Rachel... spoon fed them while they were self-feeding until I was confident in their abilities to self feed. I still have a couple containers of puree in the cabinet... probably should throw those out at some point though.

6. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I didn't have to phase them out. They discovered they could feed themselves chunks of stuff and that was the end of taking a spoon of mush! That was sometime around 9-10 months.

Leighann, you can use the fruit/orange veggie purees in pancakes.

7. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

We stopped at 11.5 months... DD just started screaming as soon as we sat down with the bowl and the spoon :rolleyes: But once they started taking finger foods better, we stopped giving jars at lunch for a couple weeks, then at 11.5 months we switched to finger foods only (we still do yogurt in the morning most of the time and DD fusses until she actually gets a taste of it).

DS would still eat jars but I'm not giving them two different things. Honestly if you feel that yours are ready, you can switch anytime. I stuck to jars as long as I could because it's much easier than having to prepare a meal twice a day...

8. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I actually kept using them until at least 15 months. Amy gave them up before Sarah did (she just refused to eat them anymore), but Sarah continued to like them almost until she was 2. (In fact I just fed her a jar of carrots the other day -- she's almost 3.5. :D ) She eats almost no veggies, and never has, but she liked the pureed ones, so I figured why not?

But other than that, it was a fairly natural process. You can keep feeding purees as long as you want, but at some point probably the babies will stop accepting them.

9. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Mine were pretty much on all table food by 10 months. They got applesauce and baby yogurt still, but everything else was in tiny pieces on their high chair tray.