Personality changes after being REALLY sick?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by TeeandGee, Jun 21, 2008.

1. TeeandGee

TeeandGee Well-Known Member

I started another thread about one of our girls being extra clingy with DH since she was sick but this is a bit different.

Have any of your loved ones been very different after they were really sick? We all had a bad flu and one of our girls (DD#1) got it the worst and she took the longest to get over it. Now she is extra clingy with DH, she doesn't play as much, she seems like she doesn't want to entertain herself or explore like she used to. She isn't constantly like this (if she was then I would probably discuss with our doctor) but a lot of the time, she just wants to sit in DH's arms. She just sits there and watches her sister explore, play etc. She'll get down from his lap, head over to a toy and then stop in her tracks, turn around and head back to DH with her arms up in the air. She is also A LOT more frustrated and unhappy.

Could the flu have done this to her? Has this happened to any of your loved ones? I just want her sweet, energetic, happy personality to come back.

BTW, the flu lasted about 7 days with her and she got over the worst of it about 5 days ago.

2. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

Any time one of my girls gets very sick, it takes them a while to get back to themselves. It could be that she's still not feeling so great. Give it some time, and hopefully she will be back to normal. :hug99:

3. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

My boys have taken more than a week to get over illnesses and start acting more normal. I think they also may be afraid to lose the comforting feeling of having mommy or daddy hold them, so they are extra clingy. That, and they just aren't feeling 100% yet.

I hope you are ALL feeling better soon!!

4. megginmj

megginmj Well-Known Member

We went through a nasty 7 day stomach flu/ear infection a few months ago, and I think it took at least a month before everything got back to normal personality-wise.

Don't worry, your DD will eventually be herself again - though I know when you're in the thick of it you worry things will never be the same....

5. marshall52204

marshall52204 Well-Known Member

We too all had the flu a couple weeks ago. One of the boys had it worse than the other and he has been a "mommy's boy" ever since. He is also my child that gets a bit more frustrated, is a bit more serious, and was prone to becoming attached like that. He got over the worst of his about a week and a half ago and is gradually getting better, but he still has those "mommy's boy" tendancies that he didn't have before.