Perinatologist Appointment

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by faerieprncs, Jan 26, 2009.

1. faerieprncs

faerieprncs Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I have my first perinatologist appointment on February 24th and I will be 19 weeks along. How long can I expect the u/s itself to last? Do they do anything else besides the tummy wand u/s? And what are they looking for exactly?

Thanks!

2. Kaie05

Kaie05 Well-Known Member

At my first peri appt (I see them once a week now, I'm 32 weeks) I was 18 weeks, and they did my first growth scan. They mesured the bellies, heads, bones, etc and also did echocardiograms on the twins to check for heart abnormalities. They sat us down for about 30 minutes and told us what to expect the rest of the pregnancy, and for the delivery. They're very thorough and informative.

3. skybluepink02

skybluepink02 Well-Known Member

A vaginal ultrasound is standard at mine. They use it to measure the cervix to ensure that it's doing what it's supposed to. :) Other than that, it's the tummy ultrasound, talk to the Dr, go home. I'm not having any complications though, so those with complications may have a different routine.

4. Kaelan

Kaelan Well-Known Member

As with the pp, yes, all those things. They also do a cervix check after every u/s for me, even though i have only gone from 4.5 to 4cm in 11 weeks time.

26W2D mono/di boys

5. faerieprncs

faerieprncs Well-Known Member

QUOTE(skybluepink02 @ Jan 26 2009, 09:40 AM) [snapback]1162512[/snapback]
    A vaginal ultrasound is standard at mine. They use it to measure the cervix to ensure that it's doing what it's supposed to. :) Other than that, it's the tummy ultrasound, talk to the Dr, go home. I'm not having any complications though, so those with complications may have a different routine.

I know it probably depends, but about how long can I expect the entire appointment to take? (I need to let my boss know when I'll be in...)

6. heather.anne.henderson

heather.anne.henderson Well-Known Member

I have had one every month since I was 10 weeks pregnant and they always last one hour. They are my favorite app.!!