Pelvic Joint Pain

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by fishfood2, Feb 7, 2008.

1. fishfood2

fishfood2 Well-Known Member

hi. does anyone else have excruciating pain in your pelvic joints?
    here's the description:
    The main symptoms are pain in your pubic area, groin, the inside of your thighs and sometimes in your lower back and hips. "The pain is worse when you walk or move and climbing stairs is especially painful. Getting in and out of the car or turning in bed is also painful," says Ann Johnson. You might hear a clicking sound when you walk and feel as though the bones are grinding together. Opening your legs is difficult and painful.

have you sought treatment? found something that helps a little?
    i am 18 weeks in and i can't sleep because of the pain, everytime i go from lying down to sitting or standing i almost fall down and it's just excruciating!

thanks for your help!

2. Overachiever

Overachiever Well-Known Member

Oh, man YES! I so remember that. Toward the end I was sleeping on 3 body pillows, trying to get in a comfy position. Some on this board swear by cold packs, some swear on heating pads. Nothing really helped me. Sometimes I would literally cry out in pain.
    I'm sorry, sweetie :hug99:

3. caterina

caterina Well-Known Member

OMG YES..... I remember this well and the only mildly comforting thing you can do is to sleep with pillows between your knees. I still use a pillow to sleep, but when pregnant with the twins and for a time after, I used two or three. For me the firmer the better, so I would sometimes use the floor cushion. Of course, I sleep on my side.

cat

4. akuaba

akuaba Well-Known Member

I am right there with you! It is awful. It seems to come and go. Some days are better than others. I have literally screamed in pain and couldn't move from the position I was in. I started stretching my legs in the shower. Very, very gently. I bend over, side to side, small very gentle lunges. Nothing major. Just enough to get my legs and pelvis moving a bit and it's in the warm/hot water so it's loosening up the muscle as well. I have to sleep with a body pillow or a small pillow between my knees. If, I don't, I suffer the next day. I can't put my left sock or sneaker on (my DH is a pro at putting on my socks and sneakers :D ) and I have a really hard time putting my left leg into pants. Try some Tylenol and some gentle stretches in that pelvic and leg area. And if that doesn't work, definitely talk to your doctor. It is an actually problem with pregnant woman and it may be something they can help you with. Take care and hang in there.

[​IMG]

5. azmami

azmami Active Member

I pray everyday it gets better and it never does!!! :angry: The paijn is always there for me sometime I can tolerate it other time I tolerate but man its tough when its more intense. Sleeping in something I dont do much cause the pain wakes me in the night when I move.

I wish I could find a cure for it as well but my doc told me that there's really nothing I can do about it. and not to mention baby-b is sitting right on my pubic bone. I have never felt such pain before in my previous 2 pregnancies. I am 29 weeks and I am already counting down.

I am sorry you feel that way I totally know what you are going through.

Try and get comfy (i know its hard)

Ariane

6. LilBrwnBrd

LilBrwnBrd Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I have had it since 12 weeks, but probably at the moderate level only. (My reference was the PSD article on Wikipedia.) I got it around the 30-week mark last time but didn't know there was a name for it. I'm planning to ask the doctor about it at our appt next week. What has helped me is moving to the living room for sleep (bed too stiff) and trying to be up only 5-10 minutes at a time. I take Tylenol if it's really bad, but I usually try to grin and bear it. Definitely no lifting of heavy things. My pelvis doesn't pop all the time, but sometimes I hear it when I roll over and I feel so much better for a short time at least.

A friend of mine had pretty bad PSD while preggo w/ her 2nd singleton. She had to use a walker to get around and was actually prescribed pain meds. I hope none of us get it that bad, but I guess that's an option for some people. I've also read that experienced chiropractors can help, but I'm not planning to go that route either.

Good luck... I'm trying to hang in there with you. Between this and the round ligament pain.... Ouchie!

7. 2B2G

2B2G Well-Known Member

Ask your doctor to refer you to physical therapy. There is A LOT they can do to help. Get a female therapist because they can actually adjust the pelvic bones (through your clothes) and also by putting alternate pressure on your legs while lying down. It can make a world of difference!

8. djpizzuti

djpizzuti Well-Known Member

Yuck. I had it so badly with my second child they actually induced him just over a month early. I could no longer lift either leg at all - get into or out of bed (forget rolling over), or a car with out crying. After I passed out from the pain the Dr. said it was time for Nicholas to make his appearance. I have it again now, although thankfully not as severe. My "baby" sister is also a PT now, and she taught my husband how to help me put it back where it goes (one side of my pelvis shifts forward and won't move back without help). You might ask for a PT referral. It doesn't fix the problem, but it does help somewhat.

Donna