Pediatrician hours?

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Fran27, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

My kids' pediatrician's office only takes appointments until 3.45pm now... which is too early for me, considering that the kids leave school at 3.35pm. I asked around and was told that most offices in other places open later than that, so I called another big pediatrician office around here to take an appointment... and the latest appointment was 3pm!

I'm annoyed! I can't pull them out early from school for every check up. Am I insane to think it's unreasonable? I guess I'll have to keep looking and ask the other moms I know where they take their kids... frustrating. I really liked their pediatrician too.

2. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

how many check ups a year do they go for?  If its only once I don't see an issue with it, or schedule for first appointment of the day and then drop them off afterward so they only miss the first hour or so of school...

3. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

I just schedule around their school day schedule.  Even though our doctor's office is open for appointments until 5 getting the "prime" times is pretty impossible same with dentists and eye doctor.  Everyone is trying to schedule around work and school.  I just narrow it down to the time of day its easiest for them to miss.  For mine its afternoon. 

Mine have several appointments each year so its not just one time. 

4. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

The office we go to is open until 5pm, and usually the last appointment is at 4:45.  They are really good about not taking too long, so usually most patients are done by 5:30.  A few times for acute illness when I really need to get the kids in, they will tell us to come right at 5pm and squeeze us in right at the end.

The eye doctor is another story.  There is only one eye doctor in the area who will see kids so young (just turned 5), and her last appointment is at 2:30pm on any day.  So we have to miss school or go during breaks or summer.  Right now we have to take them twice a year, and my kids are still in pre-K, so it's not a big deal right now.

5. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I just schedule the latest possible time which is usually 3:00/3:20 and pull them out of school a little early.  Thankfully its not often, only a few times a year for dentist and well child visits. 

6. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Our pediatrician has evening hours once a week and a half-day on Saturday. BUT it is a big university medical center practice so they have the staff to cover this, and we are fine with seeing whoever is on the schedule for the time we need (there are about 6 clinicians).

7. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Our doctor (family GP, we don't get peds here unless there is a medical concern) takes appointments until 4:30 and you can book online. Once or twice a week someone is there in the evening too. My only issue is that if you need a same day appointment they can almost never squeeze you in. My doctor doesn't have a problem with it, but his stern receptionist does. My doctor will call me at home though if it is something serious or I just have a quick question.

8. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I take mine first thing in the morning. They both do well in school so it doesn't bother me if they miss a little of school.  Plus they don't miss that much anyway.  I honestly have no idea how late they take appointments but I would guess 3 or 4.   For their yearly check up on their birthday, I usually push it until school's out.  Their birthday is the beginning of May. 

9. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I guess my kids have one appt. a year, around their birthday and that is during the summer.  Well, now it is one appt. every two years.  Dentist every 6 months so I always try to schedule that for a day off like presidents day.  I can make it to the appt. by 4pm which is the last appt. I can get there. 

Like the previous posters have stated.. pulling them out every now and then for appointments is life.  How many appointments do they need?  My daughter has some major dr appts. an hour away.  They are important.  I take her out of school.

10. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

Our pediatrician's office has evening appointments (last appointment time is 7pm) Monday through Thursday, they are open on Saturday from 9-1, and if your child is sick on a Sunday you can usually get the hospital on-call doctor to see them sometime on Sunday (in their office, which is maybe a mile from the hospital).  I work from home and when they were babies did not need these kinds of extended hours, but knew one day it would become pretty important.  Plus DH always likes to attend their well visits so we have always done those in the evening if at all possible.

We have one specific pediatrician we always try to stick with (his late evening is Tuesday) but we can see any of the pedis or PAs in the group if we need to just get in the same day.  And if they are sick we can always get in the same day.

So the cutoff of 3:45pm would really stink!  My girls' busses don't arrive home until 4:20 and 4:30.

11. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Our pediatrician office is open until 7:30 Monday through Thursdays, until 4:30 on Fridays, and Saturdays 9am to 12:00 noon.
     I usually try to schedule their yearly check up on a day off if I can.  Since their hours are decent, unless the kids are sick I don't have a need to pull them out of school for an appointment.  Same with the dentist.  My dentist has Saturday and Sunday hours in addition to evening hours, so unless there is an emergency, I'm fortunate that I don't have to pull them out of school for check ups.

12. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Mine is open until 5 on Monday through Thursday.  They used to do a half day on Friday, and a half on Saturday, but Friday may be back to a full day as they added another doctor.  My kids birthday is the end of June, so I just schedule their well visit in the week or so between the end of school and beginning of camp.  Any sick days, DH or I is home with them, so time doesn't matter.  We did have a couple of non-emergency visits this year, and I just schedule for 4ish, so they are home from school and I am home from work.