pediasure

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by hannahshope, Jul 22, 2009.

1. hannahshope

hannahshope Well-Known Member

hey everyone,
    my ped suggested trying pediasure for my twin that is in the 5% at one year. she is close to 18 lbs. what are your thoughts on using this. we are on similac sensitive and mostly table food now. i haven't made the transition to whole milk yet...what do you all think???

2. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

I'm no doctor, but I don't think it's really all that necessary if she is consistently growing and on a good growth curve. I have one daughter that is less than one percentile and the other is 3 percentile. They are both about 19 pounds at 19 months. The doctor has never mentioned adding anything like that to their diet. We feed them a healthy, well-balanced diet and I really don't care to spend the extra money on Pediasure. I do try to give them high fat foods like pudding, yogurt, etc. though. My kids were preemies and will probably be small people since I am small and their father isn't a giant either. Some people are just small. I'm not telling you not to listen to your doctor, I'm just saying that my kids are super small and I haven't been overly concerned about it since they are following their growth curve.

3. abrinka

abrinka Well-Known Member

I am adding just 1 oz of pediasure into their bottles to get more calories. My pedi said it is OK. Twins are having their 1 year check up next week and I know that they both will not gain much weight if any.I believe she will suggest to stay on formula for litle longer to get more calories. Along with pediasure I add extra scoop of formula powder and for my DD who is spoon fed(she refuses bottle and that is the only way to give her formula) her formula I add 3 scoops of any cereal(per pedi).GL

4. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My son has been on pediasure for a long time. Really there is nothing wrong with it, its full of good stuff for them. I 8oz container has 240 calories and 9 grams of fat. It depends really...does she eat or are you struggling to get her to eat? If she is eating fine and you have no real concerns, check out her growth curve and watch it, if it plummets, then obviously maybe its a good thing to start the pediasure. If she really doesn't eat much at all, it can't hurt to try 1 can a day. If she doesn't like it, they do have this stuff (I wish I could remember what its called) but basically its a powder you can put in her milk that adds just 25 calories to her milk. The most important thing is to watch her curve. My sons took a huge dive down and he fell off the charts and stayed there (actually lost 3lbs too) so we had obvious reason for concern. He doesn't eat much so he has about 3-4 cans of pediasure a day. It does get very expensive.

5. lorig6

lorig6 Well-Known Member

I totally agree with Jen. DS is only drinking pediasure because he needs the extra calories. There is nothing wrong with it at all. Strawberry is his favorite!

6. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

We did pediasure for Jessy during the first 2 years and I think it really helped jessy not get behind. don't give it before meals though. They won't eat

7. hannahshope

hannahshope Well-Known Member

thanks for all your replies. we are going to do one bottle a day and see what happens. i'll let you all know how it goes. so far so good!

8. cheriek

cheriek Well-Known Member

we are on pediasure for Eve too she was 17 lbs and now she hit 18 lbs 6 oz! im so happy she is catching up to her sister:) its wonderful for all thier vits,irons chalk full of everything needed along with food and thier milk:) we do a can a day half in cereal-breakeast and the other half in dessert-pudding and fruit!