Pedi gastroenterologist

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by jessietrio, Mar 22, 2015.

1. jessietrio

jessietrio Well-Known Member

We have not been around since breastfeeding eons ago!

My girls are now 4 years old and have been referred to a pediatric gastroenterologist because of still wanting/needing to use diapers to poop. Ugh. This has just been such a challenging experience. Has anyone been here before and can offer words of support? A hug?

Thank you so much. :)

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't have experience with a pedi gastro doc so I will offer a :hug: and hopefully someone will come on with some experience for you.  Will let us know how it goes?

3. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yup and he really helped with this issue and acid reflux.

My kids ended up on Miralax every day. We backed off the dose eventually from a capful to half.

1 person likes this.
  4. jessietrio

jessietrio Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for your replies.

We did not have issues at age 3 and then one twin decided that she did not like the toilet and the other regressed and followed suit. Our pediatrician said not to worry. Kept saying not to worry. Then I had enough of discussing the issue with everyone and their mother. Talked to another pedi in the same practice and she laughed saying that we had passed the 'point of no return'. Ugh.

First time mom here and still have no idea what I am doing. My girls are beyond a force of nature. 

Our appointment is in one month and it just cannot come soon enough.

Cheezwhiz, did you find a good way to consistently 'disguise' the miralax?

Best, Jessie

5. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

They say it's tasteless but mine could tell. I tell them it's their medicine and not up for discussion. In the beginning I mixed it with a glass of water+ 2tbsp of juice. Now one son doesn't enjoy it so I try to mix it in less water. If they fight me, I did a syringe with very little water/juice.

Whatever they drink really well ordinarily would be my answer. :)

Mine don't really like being constipated, so they don't fight their poop medicine.

1 person likes this.
  6. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Yes. I do. My 7 year old son is just finally starting to show progress with appropriately pooping on the toilet. We saw a pedi gastro around a year and a half ago to rule out physical causes. He did rule out physical causes (it's very rarely physical) and referred us to a pediatric behavioral psychologist. We saw him for 6 months or so? He had us do a reward chart system. The gastro also started us on a mild laxative (in addition to the miralax).

Honestly, at this age, it's probably a simple regression issue that will resolve. My son is a fairly rare case in still having issues at 7. I could write a book about how not to handle this situation! Best of luck.

2 people like this.