Party flavors... again

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by Fran27, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I have a month to figure out if I want to bother or not this time. Thinking not... but who knows. Do you bother? Any awesome suggestion that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

2. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I wouldn't bother.  I think hosting a party is enough, to be honest.
    Edit to add: when my kids to go to parties, I let them play with the favors until bed and then I throw them out.

3. FGMH

FGMH Well-Known Member

I would not bother either - hosting the party is enough. If you do something crafty during the party the kids can take that home but it is not necessary.

What I do instead of favours if I have a lot of cake left over is to send home a piece of birthday cake for the siblings of the guest kid. I have found that many kids love to have something to give to their siblings and take real pleasure in that.

Btw: Mine just went to a party this week and came home with more sweets in a favour bag than I usually let them have in a whole week. And nobody wants the cheap plastic toys flying around.

4. TD

TD Well-Known Member

Party favours that my kids have come home with include a cupcake they decorated themselves, crafts from the party, cookies that they decorated, and a book (done as a book exchange)

For my daughterès party last year we made candy sushi (Fruit roll-ups, twizzlers or nibs and rice crispie mix.  Each kid made their own on wax paper and then I used a knife sprayed with PAM to cut it up to look like california rolls.  This was their party favour.  The recipe came out of a readers digest magazine.

I no longer give out the dollar store type stuff, and have choosen to give a larger better quality item.  One year for my son's sports themed party, I bought the $5 balls at wal-mart and kids got to take one home (soccer and basketballs)  I had added up what I spent on the small stuff and it actually came out to almost $5 per kid.  I have given gift cards to Chapters, or Timmies (Like Dunkin Donuts).  If giving anything, I try and have it useful.

They have also been to parties where there are no favours,

5. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I make sugar cookies, so those are now the favors to go with the theme. The boys had a Halloween party for their birthday this past year and I bought small pumpkins all the kids painted and took home with their cookies.

Annabella is going to have either a tea party or Sophia the first. It will be a cookie of some sort. All the plastic crap goes into the trash when they aren't looking.

6. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I do, but not anything from the Dollar Store, either.

Annabelle's 1st birthday party I bought a bunch of balloons and each kid could take one.

Orion's 4th theme was Jake and the Never-land Pirates- the favor was a small bag of chocolate doubloons. Sebastian's theme was Muno from Yo Gabba Gabba and I added an eye to a Twizzler as a favor.

7. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was so sick of junk that last year for my girls party i did S and D sugar cookies.  This was the tray for mothers day. I gave each kid 4 or 6 cookies in a plastic bag with pretty ribbon.  I don't seem to have any pictures of them wrapped up.
    For the girls 6th birthday party, I did Water bottles from michaels for a $1.  We wrote the kids name on the bottles.  Had stickers and stuff to decorate if their was time at the party, but there wasn't enough time.  

8. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

My boys are having their 8th birthday party tomorrow morning. I bought skinny little craft bags and each kid is getting a fun eraser, a couple pencils, a silly straw (to use during the party and toss after), a couple stickers and one of the mini bite size candies. That's it.

I don't know why I ever do favor bags because I think the whole idea behind getting something for coming to a party is ridiculous. Especially when it's a location party (like tomorrow, the kids are getting to go to the zoo for a party).

My daughter's birthday is in September, so we usually have it at our house because the weather is nice enough to do all of it outside. We don't do favors for any of her parties because we do a bunch of games or activities and the kids get little prizes/or their craft to take home.

9. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I hate when my kids come home with party favors-I always end up throwing it away because its just more 'junk' that we dont need.
    I personally wouldnt bother.

1 person likes this.
  10. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Maybe make something at the party as a favor? We did that  few times. Some other things they have come home with are a small craft, painting, cupcake decorating and take home in pretty box, polaroid pic and a self-decorated frame, decorated T-shirt, etc   It seems common here to 'do' something as a take home gift vs a bag of stuff.

I dont like trinkety stuff and toss it quickly.

11. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

I hate the junky plastic items and candy.  We usually do just one nice item.  In the past they have been a candle making it, matchbox vehicle, hair bow (made them ourselves), marble drop toy.  Sometimes there is also something to be used at the party like last year the party was at a ranch so we included carrots to feed the horses.  Another year we gave bento boxes which they could put their party food in (instead of paper plates) then take home to use again.

12. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We usually do a bottle of bubble stuff.  Who doesn't love bubble stuff?  Last year I bought a halloween box of fun dips ( I think there was 32 or 48 in it), and I wrapped 1 fun dip packet around 1 bottle of bubbles with an elastic band.  That was it. We always use bubble stuff when we get them, but I prefer the regular little bottles rather than the smaller party bottles.

13. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Last party we went to had just home made candy popcorn

14. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

That party will be at the little gym... so we don't do crafts or anything. Bubbles is an idea. I like the ball idea too... and pop corn. I'll figure out something... I just feel bad I guess that kids come to the party, the parents pay for a gift, and I look too cheap to get them anything.

15. tarcoulis

tarcoulis Well-Known Member

We went to a party where the Mom drew caricatures of the kids while they watched.  It was a bowling party so there was some sitting-around-waiting time.  You could take polaroids of the kids hanging from the bars, on the beam, in a handstand or bouncing on the trampoline, and put them in a cardboard frame to take home, maybe with a picture of them and the birthday girl and boy on the other side.  It could even double as a thank you card.

16. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

we did one party where we asked for NO presents, except that everyone brought a $5 or $10 gift (can't remember what I said) and we all did a gift exchange. everyone went home with a gift.

their 5 yr party I did a superhero theme and everyone got a felt cape I'd made.

currently my son loves the small dry erase board I'd gotten him at the Target $$ spot for a Santa stocking gift.  that might be a neat idea to give.

I've got to figure this out in a couple of months!

17. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I also say skip the party favors. The last thing any mom needs/wants is more trinkets.

Maybe if you were doing a cookie or something edible.

18. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

You paid for a party- Parties can be pricey  just to run the show, plus food, etc. so I would not worry about it!

One of the nice things we got a few days after a party last year was a 4x6 collage of pictures that included my kids at the party and it had a nice thank you note on the back. We actually kept that because my girls liked the pics and it was cute to see them in action at the party. Cheap and easy online.

If it is at the gym, maybe a small ball or sport-themed cup/water bottle. Useful and relevant to the party-theme.

19. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I am just doing something for my kids parties that goes along with the party.  For instance, Emilie is having a pajama party tomorrow night for her 8th birthday.  The girls are coming from 5:30-8:30pm and wearing their pajamas.  We having are decorating pillowcases and my oldes DD and a few of her friends are going to paint Emiile and her friends nails.  So in lieu of a goody bag  we got each of the girls a bottle of nail polish to take home.  She invited 6 friends to her party.

Not sure what we are doing for Trevor's party yet, that isn't until Feb. 8th, so I sitll have some time to think about that one. 

hot2trottt4u likes this.
  20. hot2trottt4u

hot2trottt4u Well-Known Member

Depends. My youngest wants a unicorn party (she is in kindergarten) so im going to make headband unicorn horns for all the girls to take home. I much prefer something that goes with the party theme and not just a big full of junk.