Party Favors for two year birthday?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by littletwinmom, Jan 14, 2009.

1. littletwinmom

littletwinmom Well-Known Member

Hi ladies,

I'm planning a little party for the twins 2nd birthday. Does anyone have any ideas for party favors besides the usual goody bag? Something inexpensive, but that might be more useful than stickers, and plastic sunglasses or necklaces that break after an hour (no offense, my kids love that stuff too), guess I'm just trying to be a little "green" and consume less junk.

TIA,
    Jennifer

2. sdgmitchell

sdgmitchell Member

BOOKS!!!! The best party favor ever. Most bookstores have a clearance section where you can get good deals. By the time you end up buying all the stuff for goody bags you end up spending a bunch of money on stuff that gets thrown out very quickly. You can find realtively inexpensive childrens books which are a much better option! Even not on sale, you can find books under $4. Check the scholastic website for their warehouse sales. Super cheap. I bought 19 books for $28 for my son's bday party. Much cheaper than doing goody bags and all of the parents loved it.

3. Poohbear05

Poohbear05 Well-Known Member

somebody suggested bath bubbles a couple weeks ago. But then I couldn't find any small containers when I went looking... Maybe those bath tablets that color the water?? My two seem in love with that stuff.

Another thing I found, but ended up not doing, are bubbles. Most of the party 'themes' came with little containers of bubbles to give away. I thought those were cute too.

I second the book idea, but one thing I can say to stay away from is puzzles. My two got those, but don't 'get' puzzles just yet (at least not these ones that were 65+ pieces) and all they want to do is throw the pieces around, but throw a fit if I tell them they can't play with it......

4. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

My kids actually LOVE stickers, so I never mind getting those. But I agree with you about the other stuff. One thing that's usually a hit is self-inking stamps (as long as you trust your kids not to stamp every single surface in the house).

A little book is good too.

Small inflatable balls? We got those as a party favor from a local gymnastics place, and the kids love them (we use them as bath toys). Regular bath toys might be fun too -- or bath crayons.

My kids love the bath-water color tablets now, but at age 2 they were actually scared of them...

5. lareesab

lareesab Well-Known Member

Bathtub crayons would be cute and useful, my boys love them!

6. happybearsfan

happybearsfan Well-Known Member

Great ideas!

I just wanted to add that we found books at the dollar store - cute board books with photos of farm animals.

7. littletwinmom

littletwinmom Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! Think I'm gonna go with books and a helium balloon for each, keep it simple...

8. Poohbear05

Poohbear05 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't do balloons... Only reason I say that is if it pops, it creates a serious choking hazard. And kids that young are still putting stuff in their mouth left and right (mine do anyways and they just turned 2 last Sunday)

I've had it drilled into my head since I was a kid don't play with balloons or let little kids play with them. We use them for decorations of course, but they go out in the trash immediately afterwards and I would never think about giving them out as party favors....

Sorry, not trying to dampen your spirits, just wanted to bring that up.

9. PumpkinPies

PumpkinPies Well-Known Member

I tend to use decorations the kids can take home. Saves money, saves in clean-up, etc. It's probably easier because of their fall birthday -- I've used potted mums, tiny pumpkins, and when they turned 5 I started giving away the helium balloons I decorated with. I really like that when the kids leave, most of the "stuff" goes with them.

BTW, I really like the book idea! Maybe you could print a label for each to personalize them (?).

10. sonali33

sonali33 Well-Known Member

For my twins' 1st B-day party, we had kids from 6 months old to 5 years old. For goodie bags, I got each of them a board book or regular book depending on age (found great ones at the dollar store and Walmart), bubbles, and I made each a CD of my twins' favorite songs and made labels for them with the twins' pic, date, etc.