Party Favors for Babies?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by lavollmer, Nov 13, 2008.

1. lavollmer

lavollmer Well-Known Member

Hello! I havent been here in a while, but I always know where to come when I need help!

My girl's birthday is coming up in a few weeks . We are inviting 5 sets of twin baby friends (yes I am crazy). I am really struggling to come up with ideas for party favors for this age group.

Any ideas would be helpful!

Thanks so much!

Lori

2. RachelJoy

RachelJoy Well-Known Member

Nothing?

My husband and I are alwasy commenting on how much made in China plastic junk we end up with after every birthday party. Either that or candy that I wish they didn't get . . .

I personally prefer low key parties that are not about the presents the birthday child (or children) gets, or about the favors the guests get . . .

Of course, we're still doing "no gift" parties.

I have no idea if this is a popular opinion or not - I'll be intersted to see!

Rachel

3. caba

caba Banned

For my twins 1st birthday, for the babies goody bags I did Bubbles, snack boxes of Lucky Duckies (organic Cheese Crackers), tattoos, a bath toy, and a little tiny Elmo book.

I found most of the stuff at our dollar store.

Erica

4. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

I'm on the same search - our party is two weeks from now but only two babies mostly bigger kids. We did just go to a friends little boys 1st birthday party though. They had one of the beaded teething rings, a tiny board book, a squishy ball and one of the wrist rattles for each of the boys in a cute little bag. It was the first time that it really wasn't just junk! The boys fight over the books and the squishy balls are their carseat toys for now.

5. amelowe9

amelowe9 Well-Known Member

I went to a 1-year old bday party a few weeks ago and the goody bag consisted of a small bottle of bubbles, a little ducky toy and a finger puppet. I thought it was super-cute!

6. Schmoopy

Schmoopy Well-Known Member

What's your theme? Try looking on LillianVernon.com or OrientalTrading.com - they both have cute, cheap toys you could use for favors (including bubbles and these little boat bath toys http://www.lillianvernon.com/catalog/produ...p;subCatId=378). However, I agree with Rachel... I'm not sure how important a party favor really is to a 1 year old.

One more idea...
    We've found that guests often show up to "no gift" parties with a gift anyway. So instead of "no gifts" we request that guests bring a beautiful seashell, a flower from their backyard, an interesting rock or something from nature. And we build a beautiful nature basket for the birthday girl. She loves it! In fact, she's not really a kid who likes toys all that much anyway, so this idea works on many levels.

7. Emily@Home

Emily@Home Well-Known Member

I have always tried to steer clear of the disposable toys for favors. By the time you buy so many of these items, you end up spending more $$$ than you thought you would. Might as well set a budget per child and buy one durable, useful item. They will treasure it just as much. How about useful or durable items like:

snack-trap cups with little bags of teddy grahams or other baby/toddler snack
    one cute beanie baby per child
    cute cupcakes or cookies decorated with party theme in little individual boxes to take home for later
    board books (1 per child is enough)
    homemade CD with music small children would like
    one nice, decently-sized bouncy ball per child
    one home-sewn and personalized art smock per child

I'd stick with just one or two useful items depending upon the costs.

Hope y'all have fun!

8. GenandThadsMom

GenandThadsMom Well-Known Member

For T and M's first birthday we gave board books and bubbles to all the kids. The books came two for a dollar and the bubbles were four for a dollar. The kids loved them. I also like that idea of the homemade CD, T and M love the song Yellow Submarine!

9. b/gtwinmom07

b/gtwinmom07 Well-Known Member

I too would check out the dollar store if you can. Little board books, bubbles and a bath toy would work. I got some stuff at Target's dollar aisle for our bags and it had building blocks and the sort. For the next age up I got a coloring books and big crayons (again the dollar store) and the next age group I got bouncy balls, a small tub of playdo, etc. You can get a tub of sidewalk chalk (crayola) for $5 at Target and break that up over several bags. The possibilities are endless. I don't like the small cheapy stuff either but artsy stuff like crayons and books can always be used.

10. lavollmer

lavollmer Well-Known Member

QUOTE(elara @ Nov 13 2008, 10:03 PM) [snapback]1069719[/snapback]
    I'm on the same search - our party is two weeks from now but only two babies mostly bigger kids. We did just go to a friends little boys 1st birthday party though. They had one of the beaded teething rings, a tiny board book, a squishy ball and one of the wrist rattles for each of the boys in a cute little bag. It was the first time that it really wasn't just junk! The boys fight over the books and the squishy balls are their carseat toys for now.

12/3/2007 is our girls birthday too!

11. stefwebb

stefwebb Well-Known Member

QUOTE(Mom2OandP @ Nov 16 2008, 05:12 PM) [snapback]1072845[/snapback]
    12/3/2007 is our girls birthday too!

It's amazing how fast that day is coming up isn't it! I can't remember the screen name off the top of my head but there is at least one more mom on here who's babies were born on that day too.