pants under dresses?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Beth*J, May 23, 2010.

1. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

I just bought the girls these dresses. I bought a 24 month size even though they are typically wearing 18 month things right now. Anyway, I just tried the dresses on them and they are cute, but they barely cover their little hineys. They didn't come with the pants to cover the diapers. What would you do? Just let the diapers show or try to find some little pants they can wear underneath?

2. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

I love those jumpers!! My dd has 3 different jumpers like that I mix and match them with different leggings. I also have leg warmers that I will put her in. If I do want her to wear socks with cute shoes then I will put a cover up on the diaper--I always have tons around from all the dresses.
    Very cute buy!

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I also use leggings and/or cover ups from other dresses. If a pair of her shorts match either the shirt or the jumper, I put a pair on underneath.

4. christie76

christie76 Well-Known Member

I have similar ones and I use leggings with them. I have a bunch of bloomers from other dresses that I could use for the summer.

5. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

It's way too hot for leggings here (high 80s to 90 this coming week), so that doesn't work. We only have one other dress with the little pants that go with it. I guess I'll use them. I wish you could buy them separately. My girls don't wear a lot of dresses and now that they are getting to the bigger sizes, they don't seem to be coming with them.

6. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

I did just what you are doing, save bloomers from other dresses to wear in a case like this. :good: If it was really hot, I wouldn't even care. :D Hanna Andersson sells spandex type bike shorts to put under dresses, you could always do something like that.

7. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

Target and a couple other places sell these little shorts to go under dresses called Monkey Bars shorts. My Mom bought the girls some this year I guess b/c she was sick of seeing their undies since they don't care what they do in their dresses. lol

8. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

I know a friend of mine had gotten some personalized bloomers for her daughter that had her name... I just did a quick search on etsy (a website for handmade items) and found this:

strawbery bloomers I'm sure there are other options too... I was just trying to find some cheap ones. anyway, this one is only sized to 6-12 months... so you'd probably want to search for something different. just an idea.

good luck!

9. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

My DD has such a long torso that I have to get her dresses in a bigger size b/c of the same problem. I usually just put on a pair of plain short when she is in a dress. You could probably go to a place like Once Upon a Child and find some of the bloomers with out dresses in basic colors to put under anything.

10. bkpjlp

bkpjlp Well-Known Member

I just bought my DD some biking shorts from The Children's Place for $7.00. She's 4 and does not sit like a lady in a dress. I now decided she'll wear shorts (or leggings) under her summer dresses regardless of the length. She needs more modesty.

11. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

I've seen adults wear pants under dresses too for style. I don't think there's anything wrong with putting pants/shorts/leggings over her diapers. It can be part of the style that's been going around these days anyhow. I actually think it looks cute!

12. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I was fine with letting their diapers show when they were babies (though amazed at how many dresses didn't come with diaper covers!), but at your girls' age, I think I would want them to wear shorts or pants underneath.

We were lucky to inherit a lot of Hanna Andersson bike shorts and stretchy capris, so that's mostly what they wore, but other places sell bike shorts too (I've seen them at Gymboree and Target). You could also use solid-color summer PJs bottoms -- we had some that I didn't even realize were actually PJs (they had become separated from their tops) until the girls had been wearing them as shorts for awhile.

I also bought some diaper covers at KidSurplus.com -- they were supposedly 6-12 month size, but my girls wore them from about 18-24 months! I never did figure that out. (We also had some size 12m and 18m dresses that did come with diaper covers or bloomers, but they didn't fit until long after the kids had outgrown the dresses!)

13. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

I definitely think leggings (short or long) would fine. I had a diaper cover made with my DD's name emboidered on it (it's too cute!) that she can wear under things that do not come with a diaper cover. We also have similar things as that and most of the time I will put a solid color onesie on under it. That way the shirt doesn't ride up and the diaper is covered. Just another option.

14. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

if they're in diapers and not panties I'd let it go...especially if its in the 80's already! Some of Abby's dresses at this age are long enough that modesty's not an issue but I did get 2 pair of bike shorts from Children's Place (white and black) for $5.25 each...

15. BRMommy

BRMommy Well-Known Member

I use onesie-type shirts that have buttons at the crotch.

Actually, on the link you provided, look at the bottom right corner of the page. See the pink shirt they suggest that goes with the dress. That's the kind of shirt I'm talking about.

16. Beth*J

Beth*J Well-Known Member

I loved onesies, but we're getting ready to potty train, so I don't know that onesies are a good option for us right now. They wore the jumpers with the pants from a different dress and it worked fine. I'll go explore the Monkey Bar shorts option.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

Beth

17. cheriek

cheriek Well-Known Member

those are adorable! i have a set too! for spring[light leggings
    - summer-no leggings but i would use a light diaper cover-
    fall/winter; heavy tights and long sleeve shirt! that's the great thing about jumpers they are good for all seasons! [​IMG]

18. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

If your getting ready to potty train, I'd find some cute all in one cloth trainers that look like bloomers. That way your killing 2 birds with one stone.

19. Tivanni

Tivanni Well-Known Member

Cute dresses...my girls always want to wear something under dresses even now so we buy the plain colored biker shorts from Gymboree to wear under dresses.