Panicking When Left Alone

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cat mommy, Jun 19, 2011.

1. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

For the past couple of weeks, DS has been panicking whenever he is left alone. If DD and I walk out of the room, he starts screaming hysterically and runs out to find us. When we were walking to school the other day, DD bolted away from us, so I ran down the steps after her. DS started screaming and practically threw himself down the steps to keep up with me. When DH carries one kid out to the car by himself, and DS has to be alone for about 15 seconds, he screams and gets frantic.

He attends school part-time and has never had much of a problem with drop off. But when no one else in the family is around, he panics.

Not sure what to do?

2. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

I'm guessing it's normal separation anxiety. Our boys have been doing this off and on for the past 4-5 months. Some days it turns into a total scream-fest in our house if I even go the 5 feet from the living room to the bathroom. I don't have any good advice, really. I just try to tell them "Mommy will be back in a few minutes" or "Mommy is just going to the bathroom and will be right back". Sometimes that helps and sometimes it doesn't depending on their modd. It is definitely worse when they sick, teething, or tired (close to nap or bedtime, etc.), and it's REALLY bad if they try to follow me and can't (like I go through the baby gate).

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree with this. My two went through the same thing at around the same age and I did the same as eagleswings, I announced where I was going and what I was doing...it did not totally cure it but it did ease their unease about me not being around for 30 seconds.

4. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Same here - it still sometimes happens with Riley. I also just try to keep talking & let them know I'm not far (sometimes it helped if they could hear me).

5. Anneke

Anneke Well-Known Member

My two do the same. I find it helps a little to inform them on what I am doing and I'll be back soon.

6. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

I hate to tell you this, but my oldest has ALWAYS been like that. Even at 5 he is never alone unless it is nap or sleep time. I have always thought that it was because he was in full time day care, so always around other people (although of course there are many kids not like that). My twins are shaping up to be the same way.

7. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! I'm glad to know it's just a normal phase that he will outgrow (hopefully well before the age of 5!).

I do tell him where I'm going and that I'll be right back--and I'm pretty sure he understands--but it just doesn't calm him down.