Pampers problem? I have a baby with a bloody bottom ...

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by amymc72, Oct 29, 2010.

1. amymc72

amymc72 Well-Known Member

I just changed one of the boys' diapers - just after he woke up from 12 hours down last night - and his bottom stuck to his Pampers Cruisers Dry Max diaper ... as I peeled the diaper away, his skin came with it!!!!!!!!! My cousin-in-law told me that she'd read about problems with these diapers - I didn't research it or anything because we'd never had a problem with Pampers (I have had at least one child in diapers since 2004 and have always used them). Has anyone else heard of this? I've used Pampers for my older two as well and NEVER had anything like this happen. His bottom is bloody - poor baby!

2. orangeyaglad

orangeyaglad Well-Known Member

Yes, the same thing happened to my girls awhile back and they were on prescribed burn cream from the doctor. Pampers recently changed the design of their cruisers adding the dry max layer. They removed some other things from it supposedly making it lighter and easier on the environment. The result ending in a lot of people experiencing the same problems I have and you are now. They did "investigate" about it, but they are still saying that they have the same ingredients as always and that it's the parents fault for not changing baby often. I think it's a lot of hooey.

The only things that are going to work is a prescription from the doctor and airing it out as much as you can possibly stand. I know that I was annoyed because the girls were peeing and pooing everywhere, but it was the only thing that helped. Also, we didn't add anything to their bath water until the skin healed, then we added the Aveeno Oatmeal bath to help soothe the itching and discomfort.

I hope your LO gets better soon. I know how this goes all too well. Good luck!

3. jaclynkoehl

jaclynkoehl Well-Known Member

Here's the link to the consumer product safety commission's investigation on the Pampers issue. It also includes the information on how to report if you've had an issue.

http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PREREL/prhtml10/10331.html

4. NINI H

NINI H Well-Known Member

I have heard of that too. I just wanted to post and say that my older boys did perfectly well with pampers. I used them for the twins until Jesse started getting sores that just wouldn't heal. I switched to cloth diapers, lo and behold, the sores slowly went away. I now realize it was the chemicals in the diapers that were causing the bleeding sores.
    You may want to try changing diaper brands. Poor little guy!

5. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Oh how awful :( We were using cruisers also, and were still on older boxes when I read all the problems people have been having... we switched to Baby Dry and my kids have yet to have any kind of rash with them.

6. HoneyBear23

HoneyBear23 Well-Known Member

Oh, poor honey!! Yes, Pampers Dry Max have had TONS of problems like chemical burns! I am so mad they are still selling them. :girl_devil: I would document his poor bottom and try and take it higher and complain. I've used Pampers from the get-go - so two years. First the Swaddlers and then Baby Drys. I've always had good luck with them. However, if the Baby Dry's went to Dry Max, I'd stop using them all together.

Hope his poor little butt get's better quick!

((hugs))

7. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

I've never had a problem with Pampers cruisers. However at night we actually use Huggies nighttime diapers.
    You might switch to a different night time diaper. No way my two could just wear a cruiser overnight. I'd be up all night changing diapers and bedding.

One of mine had a horrible diaper rash about the time the pampers changed over. But it went away (with prescription cream) so we think it was completely unrelated.

8. ainsleyr

ainsleyr Well-Known Member

I swapped from Pampers for much the same reason - both of my girls got such a huge, awful red rash on their poor bottoms :( . I actually use the diapers.com brand - (they are cheap, they often have coupons for up to $4 off a box, and they deliver for free, with no sales tax!) We use Huggies Overnights (which I buy at Target - much cheaper than diapers.com for name brands!). I had been using pampers with the girls since they were born but they suddenly started getting this awful rash - and then I pulled out some old pampers cruisers from my diaper bag & realized that they had changed. The company actually changed the diapers in the box quite a few months before they officially launched "dry max". Once I changed diapers, the rash cleared up, but it did take some pretty heavy duty diaper creams before it finally left.

I hope your little ones are feeling much better. The Pampers forums were full of complaints for a while, but the company actually started deleting all of the negative posts, & I haven't been back to check on them for the longest time.

9. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

once my kids were out of swaddlers Pampers ALWAYS made their butts bleed - even the Easy-Ups! We used Huggies and Pull-Ups until they were out of diapers (which has just been in the last year),...and this was WAY before Dry-Max was introduced (my kids are almost 5)...

10. scrappycindy

scrappycindy Well-Known Member

Owiee! We use cloth, when out the Walmart brand, and at night the Huggies overnights. I used Pampers a lot when they were tiny (lots of gift diapers) and didn't have a problem. I think they were mostly the swaddlers. I'd report this.

11. irisflower

irisflower Well-Known Member

Yes, we had it less severe. My sensitive skin guy got a rash. My other one had no problem.

When we switched to even storebrand diapers, no more new rashes!

12. nikio95

nikio95 Active Member

YES!!!!!!! We had the same problem! It was horrible. My DD went to sleep, and when she woke up, she pooped. When I went to change her, she had this HORRIBLE red circle on her hiney. It looked someone took a very large cigarette lighter and put it on her hiney. It was so sad. It took WEEKS to get better. Our ped, said it looked just like a chemical burn and she had other people coming into the office that swore it was the diapers - the "new and improved" Pampers.

My poor Abby has a scar - a red circle, that I hope will go away.

Pampers - swears it wasn't their diapers. However, none of my 3 children have EVER had a diaper rash that bled and peeled their skin off!

Niki

P.S. - We use Huggies now.....absolutely NO problems.

13. Roo74

Roo74 Member

I use cloth 100% of the time now with my two and have never had issues. In the NICU and when they first came home with pampers they got horrible rashes that even bled. Cloth solved it for us.

14. IcelandGA

IcelandGA Active Member

Oh poor thing! We have always used Pampers and use the Overnight Protection variety at bedtme. no problems, knock wood. Antibiotics have given ours nasty rashes from time to time so we have found the quickest way to get rid of rashes and ease the discomfort is loading them up with Maalox or Mylanta or the store brand version of these. It's a miracle workers! And cheap. :) Good luck!