painter coming this upcoming week - would you have him paint your whole house?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by aimeemolloy, Jun 20, 2008.

1. aimeemolloy

aimeemolloy Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any experience with this? I am thinking I should cancel and have him come another time. I am worried about the fumes? My daughters were born at 33 weeks and had some lung problems....they are 3 months old now and are fine - but should I expose them to a house of paint?

2. MissyEby

MissyEby Well-Known Member

I would not expose them to that. I would wait a little while. You can ask your pedi what their recommendation would be

:)

3. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I dont have any knowledge about paint fumes for newborns, but I would just say personally I would postpone too.

4. *Sully*

*Sully* Well-Known Member

I would cancel.

5. Flutterbymama

Flutterbymama Well-Known Member

Depends on how badly you need your house painted and the type of paint he used. I've read that there are "green" fumeless paints available. I don't know if they offer the same type of coverage as the "fully loaded chemical" paints but that's an option if you really need it done.

6. melissak

melissak Well-Known Member

definetly NOT!

7. twins2008

twins2008 Well-Known Member

QUOTE(teine @ Jun 20 2008, 01:12 PM) [snapback]836920[/snapback]
    Does anyone have any experience with this? I am thinking I should cancel and have him come another time. I am worried about the fumes? My daughters were born at 33 weeks and had some lung problems....they are 3 months old now and are fine - but should I expose them to a house of paint?

I would not have them in the house when they are painting or for a few days after. I would ask about milk paint or another green alternative if you need to have it done. The fumes are not good for them or you actually.

Jen

8. julesbabies

julesbabies Well-Known Member

I would not. I was renovating our house while pregnant and wore a mask when I went to the house. I did not live in the house while we did it. But, when i forgot the mask i felt really really guilty, it was not worth it. I think you would feel really badly not knowing if you were harming them or not. Paint also off gasse for a long time. It contains fermaldahyde (sp?) also

There is a company called Mythic Paint that I later found makes nontoxic paints. Great paint, a ton of colors, etc http://www.mythicpaint.com/

I wish I had used that.